It's a sad day.....

1992tractor

Reaction score
Just found out that the pick up was offically written off today after my head on collision last week with a gravel truck.-cuss

It's a shame as that was one hell of a truck as you can tell by my signature it had a babied/pampered life, however it died all to young with such low mileage.

Life goes on........I am replacing it with a 7.3L for sure however I am most likely going to get into a newer pickup. Possibly the newest possible 7.3L of an '03 or '02 as I would like to find a low mileage truck to stop the aching of my broken heart. Nothing newer as I haven't heard good things about the 6.0 and I don't pull often enough to need all that much power.

I loved my IDI but look forward to a more powerful and plush truck in the superduty. I however don't look forward to the days when I have to pay someone to fix it as the days of technology have far exceded my knowledge.

What is your guys' opinion? Got any good threads I should read as I most likely leave my IDI days behind me and move on to a stroker......or dare I say a duramax :eek:

Diesel Warrior

Browning Snob
Reaction score
I also felt exactly like you. I couldn't find a late 7.3 that I liked and ended up with the Duramax. I think you will be happy with either, sorry for your loss and happy hunting.

1992tractor

Reaction score
The truck is totally wrecked, the only salvagable body parts are the tailgate and rearbumper. Taking on a 20,000 lbs gravel truck head on caved the front end in so bad that the 2 leaf springs are the only patruding out the front. I could actually see into the block as deep as the cylinders and water jackets, pillars and doors are crumpled even the box is squished from a bend frame.

I will try to post pics but I have to find somewhere to host them.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, It must have been a good truck if you made it out alright and the truck has that much damage. There is a few nice low mileage 96-97 powerstrokes on ebay right now.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good God man! And you walked away from this? We don't have air bags. Rule of thumb, is only hit things smaller than you. Your not supposed to be steering towards moving barns. :eek: I can sympothize completely, as I lost my 99' Ranger last month, and am screwed since i can't get anything as new or in as good a condition with the money I'm getting. I'm looking for one of the following....

96' Bronco
97' F-250/350 extended cab short bed (gas engine, manual trans)
99 or later F-250/350 crew cab short bed dually (gas engine, manual trans)

Any one of which will be put through the Moose Valley shops for rebuild into a retro IDI. I'd like a newer interior also, but not at the expense of leaving this engine family.

hypermax22

sled puller
Reaction score
thank god your alive it sounds like to me i tell you what you just cant beat theses older trucks because of the steel thats in them i had a 4door 97 powerstroke that was hit buy dump truck to in a curve because he was left to center and i walked away from that to thats why i ony drive trucks. my wife gets mad because i refuse to ride in her car but any way you one very lucky person aww and buy that powerstroke you deserve it

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Glad you walked away--you did, didn't you??

Good luck in finding a replacement. I hope a cherry IDI lands on your head!!:)

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yes thankfully it sounds like you survived. this is a good thing. good luck on your search for the next perfect truck.

since you asked i'll speak up and say you wont regret a SD. if you believe everything you read on here they are expensive and a hassle to work on, but as some guys (tonkadoctor, double-s-diesel and others) will say they're not all bad.

on mine, i did the water pump myself. it was easier than an IDI water pump in my opinion. don't know for sure but i'd guess the PSD pump cost more, many PSD parts do tend to cost more.

i also did the rear brakes. they are a disk service brake with a drum parking brake in the center hub. i did pads and rotors and it was very easy on my SRW.

i also had double-s-diesel replace my torque converter which was an issue (rattling like marbles in a coffee can) on '99 trucks. that set me back a few bills but all is well in the TC department now.

as for the duramax, i test drove one and i liked it A LOT. but after discussing it with firends i was told that a dmax isnt as friendly to the mechanic and the GM dealer is the only one equipped to work on them. to me that means $$$$

which is why i went with the 7.3 PSD. i lucked out and found a '99 XLT SD 4x4 subercab longbed with 125000 miles for 14 grand. after repairs and tires i may have 16-17 grand in it but for what it is that's still cheap. and this site is a tremendous resource to help save money in repairs. also i still have my IDI as backup.

good luck with whatever you decide.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online