IT LIVES!!!!

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
So i finally got around to plugging off that water fuel seperator and got her fired off!!! i drove her around for a bit today then let her sit for a few hours and when i came back to get her it took ALOT of cranking to finally get her lit then she died and it took ALOT MORE cranking to get her lit again.... im thinking shes still sucking air somewhere? but i dont know where else to check? i replaced the injectors and return lines a while back and i didnt see any wetness on them? could it still be the fact that there is still a bit of air in it? or is it possible when i fixed the return line from the filter to the #1 injector line it sucked air and it just got run through the motor?

Any suggetions?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much fuel is in the tanks ??

Electric tank selector-valve or manual ??

It is common for the tank pick-up to fall off inside the tank, thus running you out of fuel when you still have plenty. ;Really

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it fired then died right after like you said, my guess would be its still got air somewhere, drive it for a while and maybe all of the air will get worked out.. Have you checked fuel filter??

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
both tanks are completely full and i already checked the showerheads and they are both intact.

I also already replaced the fuel filter and its still clean, i drove her around a bit more tonight and when ever i would start it back up it would idle kinda funny and blow a bit of smoke ad then when id throttle it up a bit it would clear up, it runs good now but the temp gauge keeps creeping up towards the M, the water pump is new the coolant is new the thermostat is new etc etc the headgaskets are new as well? could the gauge be lying to me? or should i be worried?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ford gauge is a joke. You don't know what the water temp is unless you replace it with something that gives you a number. I wish I could help with the fuel system. You definitely have air somewhere where is the question. Gotta check all your connection points and they may not even leak diesel when they fail, sometimes just a minor suction leak. It doesn't take much air in that injection ump to shut it down.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
The Ford gauge is a joke. You don't know what the water temp is unless you replace it with something that gives you a number. I wish I could help with the fuel system. You definitely have air somewhere where is the question. Gotta check all your connection points and they may not even leak diesel when they fail, sometimes just a minor suction leak. It doesn't take much air in that injection ump to shut it down.

i have one of these, its an electrical gauge i just cant for the life of me remember which sender unit im supposed to pull in order to run this thing. but the reason im asking bout the factory gauge is that the motor isnt boiling its full of fresh coolant new thermostat and new rad cap, so i dont think its getting that hot, what are these things supposed to run at anyway?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What thermostat did you install. Only the ford or international thermostats will work correctly in thes motors... Others will fit but they wont function properly... How old is the lift pump if you have one. If you have an electric is the prefilter screen clean.....

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
the thermostat isnt a ford or IH unit, and im not sure how old the lift pump is, probably been changed at least once in its life but i dunno

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something you might want to check. Make sure the nut holding the fuel supply line to the injector pump is tight. Mine has come loose before and the only way i noticed it was because my valley pan was wet and when ever i started it it would idle real bad and blow smoke for about 20 seconds. After I tightened that nut back up it starts and runs fine now.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory temperature gauge on my 1985 has always been very consistent.

For comparison purposes, with a 180* thermostat in the Cummins, when the mechanical gauge is holding a steady 180*, the needle of the factory gauge is centered on the "N" of NORMAL.

It has been a long while since the 6.9, but I remember it running quite a bit warmer, probably about at the "M" . ;Really

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, a few thoughts. The reason most people here will tell you only IH or Ford thermostats is that they are tried and true and definitely work correctly, especially because these engines have an internal bypass. Some aftermarket thermostats had a bypass of their own and this was obviously a very bad idea. Some aftermarket thermostats such as the Stants now claim to have no bypass and the factory opening temperature. I can't confirm or deny these claims, but if true, in theory these should be OK to use. No one here wants to recommend it because the thermostat is critical and not the place to save pennies, plus the aftermarket ones aren't that much cheaper than the factory ones and they last a long time. If you had one of the "Bad" aftermarket t-stats I would think that you'd be getting cold readings compared to the factory unit, not warmer ones. If I remember right the non factory thermostats usually caused the engine to run cold, but to have hot spots on the heads, really bad juju with engines that already have head gasket and head cracking issues. The correct operating range by an electrical or mechanical gauge is 192-212*F. Remember other factors that influence your coolant temp are ambient temp and if you are using the AC or heater. What thermostat did you use? I just would hate to see you take it apart to replace it if it works just fine, but if it's one with a bypass or a non stock opening temp then it's worth the work for sure.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
so today i drove her some more and she does not like to start cold... she will fire off for a bit then die then i burn em again a few more times and then bam she roars to life again but idles kinda funny like she is missing or something... could these mean its time for some new GPs?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old 6.9 with maybe three working glow-plugs would always start easily, so long as I waited for the light.

After the first start of the day, I didn't have to wait to start, even after sitting six or eight hours.

I don't think glow-plugs would have any influence on running whatsoever once the engine fires. :dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chevyboy you definitely have air...starts then stalls is absolutely classic. The bad news is I haven't a cue where to tell you to find it.