is this a coolant port

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
trying to keep the factory sensor as well as hook up my aftermarket coolant temp sensor. I see the square headed plug at the rear of the drivers side head but I cant seem to get it out. Then I notice a socket head plug at the very rear of the engine at the top, 3/8s extension plugged right into it. Is this a coolant port that would give me accurate readings?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Square head plug at rear of head is coolant port. They are in there tight. I think I ended up trying to tighten it first to kind of break it loose.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I know that one is a coolant port but there is also what looks like a socket head plug at the very rear of the drivers head up top right next to the block. I have searched and searched and cant find any diagrams. This spot would be much easier to get to.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd guess yes, but not sure. Did some quick looking around but I can't find a good picture of that area and I'm too lazy to put my shoes on and go check out my rig. If no one has a better answer I'll check one of my spare heads tomorrow.

I don't think you'd get the best temp readings though since the back of the head is the back end of the coolant flow - front end is much more accurate cause you get the full engine coolant flow over it Whether it would really be enough to matter is another question though.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I tried blowing through the top radiator hose with stat removed but I couldnt generate enough air to fell it at the factory sensor or there. By looking at the only coolant flow diagram i could find it appears that if that is a coolant port it is the return section headed back to the stat. I would appreciate it if you could check that out and save me the trouble of blocking everything off and feeding it with the air compressor.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The port sounds like the one used on 6.9 engines for the GP controller. The right and left heads are the same. The same port on passenger side is now in front and has the temp sender for the IP high idle.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant flows into the outside of the cylinders in the block then up through the heads to the top front of the block. any port on the head will give you coolant temp. The port at the top of the drivers side head is where the 6.9 GP controller was installed. This is the port I am using for my engine temp on my 7.3

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The port sounds like the one used on 6.9 engines for the GP controller. The right and left heads are the same. The same port on passenger side is now in front and has the temp sender for the IP high idle.

Exactly what I was just thinking.

Personally I'd still try to put a temp sensor on one of the front ports as I feel it'll be more accurate. Yes coolant does flow up and around all the heads, but the back is the back end of the loop so it's possibly going to be cooler than the aggregate temp.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the back of the engine runs hotter than the front because water moves through the path of least resistance thus the front is closer to the pump and will move coolant faster and it will be cooler because of it. So six of one and half dozen of another...