Is there really any difference between the Garrett and ATS ball bearing turbos?

Powerstroke2000

Keep the rubber side down
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is much difference between the ATS and the Garrett ball bearing turbos? I've heard that there "can" be more in the ATS than the Garrett, but has that really been substantiated?

How do these GT38 ball bearing turbo's compare to the H2 by Hypermax? Is one better than the other in your opinion?

Thanks in advance...

Dale

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my understanding the Garrett BB and the ATS BB are pretty much the same turbo:confused: I am not sure of the H2 specs. I heard that it was harder to mount.

Strokin_A_Duramax

TS Performance Groupie
Reaction score
Turbos......Turbos....Turbos

H2E
A buddy of mine has the H2E and loves it. It is harder to mount ,and it costs more. You have to replace the pedestal, and the uppipes. Also if you don't have other mods it could spool up slower because it is a much bigger turbo. He did say his exhaust temps are about 400 degrees lower. This turbo is capable of up to 60lbs of boost. Also this is not a ball bearing turbo.

ATS & Garrett ball bearing
The ATS and the Garrett turbos are the same except for the compressor housings. Garrett makes the turbo for ATS then ships them to ATS minus the compressor housing. ATS then puts on there own design compressor housing. Garrett has there own design compressor housing. It is close to the ATS housing. Both these turbos are capable of up to 40lbs of boost. So basically you can go with the best price, or personal preferance.These turbos are a little smaller turbos than the H2Es.

Ggg

Reaction score
Hey Strokin, I am just asking here not arguing. Since the H2E is not a bb it seems that it would be the most likely to have problems with the thrust bearing handling the high boost pressures. So I would think the bb turbos would be able to make and tolerate the higher boost better. I know Hypermax has made some rather big claims about their products that were unsubstantiated, or unrealized in the real world. Or am I way off on this.

Last edited:

Strokin_A_Duramax

TS Performance Groupie
Reaction score
Thats what I thought too. I think the BB is only rated for up to 40lbs of boost. I hear that the H2E is capable of up to 60lbs of bost. My buddy makes about 45lbs.This turbo is also much bigger than the BB turbo from what I understand. Also he has no surge issues with the H2E. Anybody else shed some light on this subject?????

Strokin_A_Duramax

TS Performance Groupie
Reaction score
Greg

It was good meeting you to.

I like the way the BB spools up faster, the whistle, and the lower EGTs.....:thumbsup: Now if only they could fix that nasty surge problem I would buy one.... :eek:

By the way I got some NVK4 programs Today.....Got to call Dennis in the morning to make sure they are all here, and to check on programs for Split shots......I'll give you a shout when I find out, or call me later on.......

Renegade

HillBilly
Reaction score
Hey Dale,

I cant offer any help but just thought I'd drop a Howdy in here since I see I know someone on this board now.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Ggg

Reaction score
Hi Renegade, I'm Ggg6 from TDS. I know we have talked a few times over there.

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
All right with all this Turbo talk I have a question??? With a Stock PSD..how much is too much boost ???..I want boost I just don't want to lift a head???

Dockboy

Reaction score
Originally posted by Wideopen
All right with all this Turbo talk I have a question??? With a Stock PSD..how much is too much boost ???..I want boost I just don't want to lift a head???

Can never happen with a stock turbo!!

You need a min. of 40 lbs before you start worrying about head gaskets ;)

Dockboy

Reaction score
Originally posted by Wideopen
So what exactly will the ATS compressor housing do..except remove turbo Surge??? Will I gain boost??

Yes, it will help eliminate surge problems.

No, an ATS housing on a stock turbo will not increase boost.

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dockboy
Yes, it will help eliminate surge problems.

No, an ATS housing on a stock turbo will not increase boost.

Surge is a big issue with my truck right now I was just courious