Is there any mechanical difference between 158 and 175 hp?

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Judging from that start and idle it sounds good to me. I'd definitely do a compression test. I paid like $50 on amazon for a diesel compression tester. Verified with my air compressor that it would accurately read 150 psi on a few gauges to make sure it was close. Not sure if you come through Havasu AZ often but you're welcome to test drive my truck and compare the difference.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think being at 6 is your issue. Mine likes and is set at 6.5 fwiw. It's also in a school bus, which is significantly heavier then most trucks/trailers on here, and can do 70 mph. From your video, with the little bit of running that I heard, it sounds like it's timed close enough, as I can faintly hear the fuel clatter. If your timing is too retarded, the fuel won't clatter, and it will sound more like a big block gas engine, vs a clattering diesel.

And that 6 degrees is assuming you have the tool set up right. I've got both a j33300 timing meter and a snap on mt257 with a timing light, because I wasn't 100% certain in myself. Using the light was just reassurance that the meter was correct.

Bear in mind, no NA idi will ever be a hotrod in my eyes. Modern trucks are just so far ahead of the old stuff it's not funny. Trailers that you needed a 1 ton diesel for 30 years ago can be done by a half ton ecoboost now, and the ecoboost will do it faster, stop it sooner, and get it done with better fuel mileage.

But, the big thing to a low power complaint is are you seeing black smoke out the exhaust? If not, then you're short on fuel, from filters, clogged pickup, bad fsv, pinched hose, you name it. If you do have smoke, you can move the pump a tooth, and then retry timing it at 8.5. But I wouldn't count on that 2 degrees waking it up considerably.

Pumps aren't cheap. I would be certain the pump is faulty before I threw one at it. If one was faulty, I feel you wouldn't have smoke either.
Oh it's got plenty of smoke. Enough that people complain. Has a new air filter but no change in the smoke. Runs smooth at both idle and revving. Just won't go

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a crappy video of me winding it out.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the timing tool I use and this is the trailer and toy I can't pull 55 mph.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221005-200022.png
    Screenshot_20221005-200022.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20221005-200546.png
    Screenshot_20221005-200546.png
    884.8 KB · Views: 11

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had another idea while watching Tube videos. What happens when you press the advance arm on the side of the injection pump when running cold? Does the motor idle down?

Black dawg

Reaction score
6 degrees is fine, if the advance in the pump is working correctly.
What does the rattle of the engine sound like as you roll into it and all the way to the floor, at speed? Does the rattle get quieter or stay the same?

Na 6.9 has never been very impressive for towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online