Is it worth the money 92 IDI

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Ya, My guess is that AK is tough to find stuff out there. Do yall rust a lot up there? Sand, salt on the roads or is it like ice road truckers lol I know here on the East coast it is insane with rust, my 08 car I daily drive is rusting out already.

Id say buy it, and leave it NA, for what your doing no need for all that go fast, just need it to go.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck would be used as a daily drive on my 35mi commute and occasionally tow around 10k max.
Id say buy it, and leave it NA, for what your doing no need for all that go fast, just need it to go.

he might have a slightly different opinion the first time he hooks up to 10k though.:D
i see you've got the factory turbo.have you driven one of these in n/a form? they don't scoot up the grades very well without forced induction.;Really

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a 92 7.3 IDI 4x4 with the ZF 5 speed for sale with only 90k original miles. The truck belongs to an older couple and looks basically as new as a 92' can look. They are asking $5500, is this a fair price considering the limited market up here in AK? Also is there anything in particular I should look for in a truck from this era with limited use. Your input is greatly appreciated as I am new to these trucks. I'm just looking for a gutless tractor that will last forever and get decent fuel mileage.

they say that pictures are worth 1000 words.
but i think in this case they could be worth $5500

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say that's a hell'va good buy up in the AK. You must live in Fairbanks if you've got a 4 hr trip to Fritz Creek. Was there in 08, mostly in Soldotna for 3 months. Fritz Creek is a nice little town not much there IIRC. If you live around Eagle River, there is a guy there named Kevin Hanssen, very knowledgable on IDI's and PSD's.

Last edited:

AKBoling

Reaction score
The roads are not salted up here because it turns the road into a giant salt lock for moose so rust occurs but not a major issue like back east especially if you take care of your rig.

AKBoling

Reaction score
A turbo isn't a must but a little extra response from the skinny pedal would be nice, I would eventually throw a D60 up front as well.

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has it been driven much the last year or two? Or at least run to full operating temp? If not then you could end up with some oil leaks. I bought my 91 with 118k miles from the original owner, well maintained. I ended up with a few bad seals a month or two after I bought it. All ok now, except the rear main seal which will drip 1-4 drips a night if not driven significant distances when taken out. Doesn't leak on road trips, does leak driving around a few miles in town.

AKBoling

Reaction score
I live in wasilla fritz creek is in homer. Fairbanks would be about a 10 hr drive from fritz creek.

AKBoling

Reaction score
It's driven often there's just nowhere to go when you live in homer everything is within a 10 mi radius.

AKBoling

Reaction score
I would say that's a hell'va good buy up in the AK. You must live in Fairbanks if you've got a 4 hr trip to Fritz Creek. Was there in 08, mostly in Soldotna for 3 months. Fritz Creek is a nice little town not much there IIRC. If you live around Eagle River, there is a guy there named Kevin Hanssen, very knowledgable on IDI's and PSD's.

Geeze I paid like $1500 for mine but mine's a regular cab with more than twice the mileage.

I can get a rusted out 85 reg cab 4 speed with a rattle can paint job and 200k mi for 1500 up here

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got paid to take my 87 F350 crew cab 4wd :D
super lucky i got

Runningaford

Reaction score
I spray my underside with clean light oil for rust prevention; so far haven't had any issues in the PNW; unlike many vehicles. My father grew up on the Gulf Coast, and noted oil rig trucks using high dollar undercoatings, would rust out in short order, but most of the old timers who sprayed the bottoms of their rigs never had issues.

The truck in the CL ad is nice! If you get it, perhaps drive it a little bit, and see how it goes; keep some money handy for any issues needing correcting(such as oil cooler if need be). The arm from the clutch master cylinder sucks, and can fall off; so I'd definitely look into upgrading that.

My 7.3 zf is NA, but runs out fine. I'm trying to learn the powerbands on this truck; I drove it through the mountains a couple weeks back with several 7% long grades, it'd bog down when my top speed was only around 65mph, but driving back through the same mountains I went around 70mph, and with that little bit of rpm increase, I guess I was in a powerband, the rig didn't bog at all.