Is it possible to get 24 volts?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I'm no electrical engineer, but I'm wondering is there any not so extremely difficult way to get a 24 volt system in the van from the existing 12 volt system? This would make rigging up LEDs alot easier and cheaper.

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why cant you get 12 volt leds? Or are they just more expensive?

I am going to say that yes yiu can get 24 volts. BUT, all your lighrts will burn up quickly, and your radio will go to crap your windows will probably roll up really fast. Your starter will be dynamite!

Try it out so I we can see what will really happen!:eek: I am curious

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
What you end up doing is putting the batteries in series then peeling off 12 volts for everything else. They do it in boats all the time. You will need to replace the alt and regulator then rewire everything concerning the batteries.

It can be done but it will take a while. I would just stick with 12v LED's or use a voltage doubler circuit for them.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Okay, i guess i didn't say what i meant correctly. I want to keep the 12 volt system in the van obviously, because that would just be way too much work to change the main system, but then i want to have an additional 24 volt system to power 24 volt things. So basically I guess i would need a doubler circuit but where does one get that and how exactly does that work?

I want to power 5 of my big LEDs and want to do it with one controler, if i use 12 volts i will need another controller. If i use 24 volts, i only need one.

EDIT: I just found some 12 to 24 volt DC converters, i guess i would need something like that.

Last edited:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
would it be possible to wire up both batteries to like an auxillary fuse box to get 24 volts but put some diodes in the lines so the batteries don't know the other one is connected

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Why not just run half parallel and half series?If you hook Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative you get the same voltage but double amperage.If you hook Positive to Negative you get Double Voltage but same amperage.In our Ford the batteries are hooked Parallel.Positive to Positive and Negative to negative.In my deuce and a half I hook them in Series.Ground wire to battery 1,Jumper wire from Positive Post to Negative post of battery 2,The Positive wire from teh truck then hooks to the positive post of battery 2.High Voltage low amperage.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
A small AC inverter and a 24v power supply would be cheap to do. That is basicly what they voltage step up converters are.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you would need to do is take another battery (maybe even a small motorcycle battery depending on your current needs) and connect the negative of that battery to the positive lead of the existing battery, and then you would have 24 volts between truck frame ground and the positive of the additional battery. Problem is, you wouldn't be able to charge it, so a voltage converter would be more attractive. Thing is, they usually don't have much amperage.

RedTruck

Reaction score
A few years ago a customer requested that we mount an operator interface screen on a forklift for them. I did the research. It took a while to find an appropriate DC-DC converter for our application, but I found this company:

Clicky

At the time I did the research, they had double etched DC-DC converters for military applications. You may have to keep an eye on where you'd mount one of these units. I think they get fairly warm.

Our customer decided not to go this route, so I can't comment on how well it holds up.

Good luck,

Paul

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Well i'ma not an engineer yet (one more year), but this is gonna be expensive any way you look at 'er.

1. Separate 24v alternator to charge two separate 12v batteries or a 24v battery.

2. 12v to 24v DC converter.

3. 3000amp surge double pole relays to switch the two existing batteries into 24v when needed while keeping one for 12v applications elsewhere on the truck.

Looked at the cost of doin' the third option for a guy over on FSB who got a deal on a 24v winch. Need two of those relays to make it work, and that would cost more than a new 10k 12v winch!

So to answer yer question, no not a cheap way.

would it be possible to wire up both batteries to like an auxillary fuse box to get 24 volts but put some diodes in the lines so the batteries don't know the other one is connected

Naaa on that even workin', sorry.

Adrianspeeder

Last edited:

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Well seein as i don't need enough power to work a winch and only enough to light a few LEDs i think i'll be okay with a converter. I bought the 2.5 amp one on that site for 20 bucks. Hopefully it'll just do the job. If not, then i guess i'll just be buying another controller. So much for being efficient, this project has already cost about 200 bucks, lol.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Well i'ma not an engineer yet (one more year), but this is gonna be expensive any way you look at 'er.

1. Separate 24v alternator to charge two separate 12v batteries or a 24v battery.

2. 12v to 24v DC converter.

3. 3000amp surge double pole relays to switch the two existing batteries into 24v when needed while keeping one for 12v applications elsewhere on the truck.

Looked at the cost of doin' the third option for a guy over on FSB who got a deal on a 24v winch. Need two of those relays to make it work, and that would cost more than a new 10k 12v winch!

So to answer yer question, no not a cheap way.

Naaa on that even workin', sorry.

Adrianspeeder

works on electric golf carts :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online