Is it just me o r?

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Is it just me or?

I am curious -I seem to get the impression the a some of your trucks will start without glow plugs when its cole on hot days. I can't remember starting any of mine without glow plugs on the first start of the day. How many of you can start on a hot day without glow plugs.
I wish I knew how to make this a poll.

Last edited:

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it's actually hot. yeah i could just turn the key and it would start right up. Iwas told this is awful for glowplugs so i don't, but i could.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
first start of the day don't care what the ambient temp is - the Enterprise would not fire up unless I cranked on her till the cows came home and the planets were lined up in some weird fashion with Mars and the North Star. It just wasn't going to happen. Now had it been running earlier - yes but would take some cranking. She just had to have her glow plugs.

Now the Goat truck - no glow plugs and the grid heaters weren't even hooked up - she would fire off even at 0 degrees outside temp by the third rotation.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If my truck has been sitting in the sun all day long and the outside temps are hot enough in the summer, say a high of at least 25C, then it will start without glow plugs. I tried this before the rebuild and again after. Generally it will take about 3 full turns to get it going, but then if fires up on all cylinders with an obviously larger smoke puff than usual.

It will start in sub freezing temperatures without glow plugs as well if the block heater is used. Usually thats a case of one full turn then it fires.

Hot or cold weather with glow plugs has it firing in less than one full turn. If its cold enough it will sputter for a second or two, but it is none the less able to hold an idle in less than one full revolution.

I love this truck.....

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Mine starts fine without the glow plugs just fine if it's 60*f or higher. Most of the winter I ran without them because the two yellow wires were burnt when I got it. Started fine if plugged in at night for a couple hours and after it was ran a little it did ok the rest of the day. It took a little cranking and like said above a big puff of smoke.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Last summer mine would start without the glow plugs. My IP has gone south though since then so it needs help now.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its been over 80 since parked no gps but anything below after sitting 4 hrs needs either gps keep burning out gave up on it
so the either works great though and its got upper cylinder lube well thats my excuse
and hotter temps 6 hrs itll cool off (60-80f) anything below itll take about 4 anything from 60 down to 0 itll take 4 hrs idk y

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been starting on no plugs since February. I have to replace them, and probably the controller. I should just do the manual conversion.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine will start with no glow plugs in warm weather but not happily, takes waaay too much cranking for my liking and seems awfully ******* her, this applies to a first start and if it's been sitting more than say 4-6 hrs. Usually any other time I could just jump in hit the key and go glow plugs or not. In cold weather like say below 50* it gets the glows every start unless it has only been off a few minutes or less.

sootman73

Reaction score
my truck will start without glows down to 50 prob. after that it doesn't a very long cycle and she'll fire right up. no matter the temp my truck has always started. ;Sweet

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
It will start without glow plugs or either down to about 10 F, it smokes and sputters for about 2-3 minutes, but I have started it in subzero temps with out glow plugs or block heat, just a small puff of either (I ran for over a year trying to figure out what was wrong with it untill I tested the plugs with an ohmeter, but all of them were still good according to the test light, so I had the system disconnected).

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Above 50, mine will fire right up, below, if it got to temperature on the first run of the day, it'll fire up without even 8 hours later down to around 0 or so, lower than that and the window is around 4 hours. I've even done it at -15F...

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If ya have good compression it should light right off glow plugs or not. I had to get used to using them again after having my dodge. The dodge fired right off just like a gaser. Not even sure if it had a wait to start light. If it did I never waited for it.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
OK next my engine is a low mileage Jasper -maybe 50K never has reason to check compression. A lot of different scenarios so far - some say the have to use glo plugs some say no.What is the reason for the difference/ My kubota IDI needs glo to start for the first of the day too.Guess I am glo dependant :dunno
But I would like to know the real reason.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online