I's goin to the truck pulls!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I talked to Ken today and he informed me that there are truck pulls in Sparta MI about 20 miles from me on Friday night. So I am gonna give it a try. My brother Dave will be taking his PSD as well.

Anyone got any tips, for a first timer?

pafixitman

Reaction score
Truck pulls

You going to watch or participate? I don't think I would let some yahoo hook up and try to break my truck.

Granted, unlike Dale Jarret, I can say I raced the truck. :peelout
I think the 1/4 mile at Quaker City was a bit more controlled than a truck pull.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Tip #1 make sure the chain is tight before you floor it!

Have fun and let us know what you break. :Sly ;Sweet
Good Luck,.... GETRDONE!!!

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Snug the chain and when the flag guy at the end signals ya,
DROP THE HAMMER :D

Never pulled with an auto ........

4 low and I would imagine 2nd gear for the C-6 {that is how I pull} I'm sure someone with a slusher will chime in ;p

Keep your hitch height just under 21" It will be checked when you weigh in..and you will get weighed!
You just may get surprised at how much your rig weighs...I know I about choked when my truck weighed 7785 :eek:

I use a solid 12k lb ring, but I have seen just about everything used so long as the sled chain can hook to it and the tech guy says OKY-DOKY :D

Avoid the temptation to "dig in" for that last couple inches....that is where most guys grenade parts, specially the front end when it starts to chatter.
You WILL feel when it is time to back off the go pedal.

FYI for your brother, my best pull is 266 ft with a
35k lb sled--20k sled/15k weight box...

After you lock the box at the top is when you will REALLY feel it :hail ;Sweet
The first couple times I was too busy watching my boost and stack temps and just barely caught a glimpse in my mirror when the box locked at the top :D

It is a wicked awesome feeling !

Good luck ;Sweet

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
You going to watch or participate? I don't think I would let some yahoo hook up and try to break my truck.
I think the 1/4 mile at Quaker City was a bit more controlled than a truck pull.

Joe,

Truck/tractor pulls are are just as regulated and controlled as any other motor sports event.
There is tech checks even for street trucks.
Super mods and super street trucks are even required to have kill-disconnect switches in the event of a coupling failure.

And YOU drive your own truck----this is not some backwoods hook up with a chain to each other, "hold my beer and watch this" type of thing! :D

1/4 mile runs are fun, BUT sled pulls are AWESOME ;Sweet :D

More constant load and no sudden high rpm launch shock on the unloaded drivetrain.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Geo,
I now realize that this is the regular sled pulls. Yea, I was thinking "hold my beer and watch this" as some guy hooks a logging chain between two trucks. cookoo

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Geo is correct, thanks for the tips.

As far as what gear to run, Ken suggested just put it in drive with the T-Case in low, and let it shift. My C6 is built pretty good and has fast crisp shifts, so I think that is what I will try.

The truck is getting the 4:10 Limited Slip Rear installed, and will be done tomorrow.

Avoid the temptation to "dig in" for that last couple inches....that is where most guys grenade parts, specially the front end when it starts to chatter.

I know exactly what you mean, I have seen it done a few times. I know that I wont "win" the event, there will be too many of Ken's "Built" diesels there, I just want to experience it myself, and see what it will do. So I am not going to try to get every inch out of it, should be fun.

Besides, Lori and the kids are gone for the week, so I need something to do, and also I don't have to get her permission,... :angel: :Sly

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
GRuss said:
I'm telling.... :yell: then :fan: :cry: :rotflmao

:rotflmao
Ya what he said! :D
Man that sucks, If I wasn't on call for the county this weekend, I'd slide up there and see what she can do too! ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darrin, I'd be sure to get somebody to film the attempt. It would be a good thing to bring to the next IDI Weekend (or post on the web if possible). I think the two biggest mistakes I see at the Buck on a regular basis, are guys who come with open differentials and street tires. If the tires are not agressive the sled won't even move, and open diffs translate into a 2WD pull. Good luck! ;Sweet

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Darrin, I'd be sure to get somebody to film the attempt. It would be a good thing to bring to the next IDI Weekend (or post on the web if possible). I think the two biggest mistakes I see at the Buck on a regular basis, are guys who come with open differentials and street tires. If the tires are not agressive the sled won't even move, and open diffs translate into a 2WD pull. Good luck! ;Sweet

Yep, a locker up front would do the trick with the LSD in the rear! MO pullin then!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Darrin, I'd be sure to get somebody to film the attempt. It would be a good thing to bring to the next IDI Weekend (or post on the web if possible). I think the two biggest mistakes I see at the Buck on a regular basis, are guys who come with open differentials and street tires. If the tires are not agressive the sled won't even move, and open diffs translate into a 2WD pull. Good luck

Yup, I am borrowing Mike's Digital Video Camera. Same one we used for the 94 IDI weekend video. I will get it posted as soon as I am able. As long as it is not too embarsing!

Man that sucks, If I wasn't on call for the county this weekend, I'd slide up there and see what she can do too!

Hey Ron, that would be fun, cant you make a call from Sparta, They won't mind.

Good luck telling Lori, I think the only one that can let her know is Baja ******. THey are in Ensanada Mexico on a Misson Trip. They will be back next Friday.

Anyway it shold be fun if I don't bbreak anything,...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Oh Well twas worth a shot. Can't wait to hear this if ya break something.......
Goes something like this..... :eek:
How did you break your tuck Darrin???? :backoff :backoff :popcorn

UUMMMMMMM....... Well you see it was like this. The guys made me do it! :angel: :rolleyes:

Really wish I could run up there but the Sheriff might have a problem with a 1 1/2 hr response time. :draw :backoff
Wish ya the best of luck.... :peelout
Keep her in one piece will ya. ;Sweet ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online