is fuelreturn line to filter nessary or can it be removed

rustyescott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as the title says, can this be removed .it looks like another air leak site. and if removed what was used to plug nipple on injector fitting. also can return line to ip be done away with. pics would be nice

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
You have to have the return line out of the IP. I can't speak for the line between the filter and the #1 injector... I'm kinda curious too.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it looks like another air leak site. and if removed what was used to plug nipple on injector fitting. also can return line to ip be done away with. pics would be nice

You have fuel hose with (2) ends to it......both ends have to seal, for a total of (2) possible leaks. You remove said fuel hose and replace it with (2) rubber caps....both caps have to seal, for a total of (2) possible leaks. I'm not trying to be a SA but I don't see the advantage.

The return line from the injection pump purges the pump of air, helps keep the pump cool by constantly circulating cool fuel through it, and the cold advance solenoid drains throught this line. The return line on the filter helps purge air from the fuel system. If you think they are leaking, I recommend just replacing them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
On my rig a ran for many years without the line off the fuel filter head. I reciently just installed it and found the truck starts much easier now. We need the line off the injection pump. If you try doing away with that line the truck wont run at all. The front wire on the pump is the fuel shutoff switch or FSS. Try pulling that wire when the truck is running. It will die right away. That line has a check valve right at the pump. Its black in color. Inside the pump there is a solenoid when powered up it press's a lever to open the spring loaded check valve so fuel will return to the tank. Thats also how the pump us cooled and lubriacated too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes