Is a used IDI camshaft worth anything?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm in the process of moving :puke: and, since storage space will be severely limited, I am needing to get rid of quite a few things that I had been storing previously. One of the things I was storing was a camshaft out of an '85 or so 6.9l. I grabbed it thinking that I might need it for my truck, but my original camshaft turned out to be in good shape.

It's got a light coating of rust on it, so it would need to be polished before it could actually be used, but all the lobes are within specs. Do you guys think it's worth putting up on the Marketplace, or should I just scrap it? If it's usable, I MIGHT want to hold on to it, but I really do need to reduce my inventory as much as possible. If it doesn't fit in a studio apartment or a small camper trailer (that I'm using as a makeshift longterm storage shed), I can't keep anything (which, as a certified packrat, is a serious problem for me) :cry:

Thanks! :cool

sassyrel

Reaction score
and if that dont work--ebay--every one ive ever seen on there gets sold----

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, sell it. I sell used cams for Onan, Kohler and Yanmar small engines all the time on ebay, there's a market out there for stuff like this.

If it's really light surface rust and no pitting I would polish it up with something like FLITZ or even Coca Cola (No Kidding, the acid in Coke eats rust off of chrome really well) and a rag and then give it a coat of light oil before taking pictures.

Have a good smooth move;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you much! It'll have to wait until after the move at this point, but heaven knows I've got a bunch of other things that need to get sold...heck, I still have a tranny and three (almost) new tires that need to go!

I'll give the Coke idea a try...never thought about that before...

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give the Coke idea a try...never thought about that before...

It's old school that works great on chrome. My Dad taught me this 35+ years ago polishing the chrome on my bicycle.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Lewis was very close to needing one. Don't throw it out, that's for sure.