IP SCREEN

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a cone shaped piece on the back of the injection pump where the fuel inlet line attaches. The cone unscrews and it is in there. Be careful to remove no more than is necessary as there are pieces in the pump that can come out if you are not careful.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd strongly advise you not to go in there. It's a bear to do on the engine, and if you have never had one apart on the bench, there are several parts and a metal pin that will curse you, not to mention the nose cone seal which can cause untold hours of greif. I did mine on the truck, but later concluded it would have been much faster to take the pump off, and do it on the bench. Being able to work on it nose-up is a major plus. If you think your screen is clogged, you may be able to inspect it by removing the fuel input line and adapter nut, and using a mirror and bright light to check it.

Gotta-B-Ford

BOOTLEGGER
Reaction score
That's why we ask the people who know!! A mirror and light sound like a great idea,so just remove the input line then remove the nut that is behind it?Then i will be able to see the screen?Sounds easy enough also still seem to be getting air in the fuel system so i put clear line between the top of the IP to #2 return cup and from the top of the filter housing to the #1 return cup NO AIR. So then i put a clear line in between the manual fuel pump and the filter housing and when you start the engine cold it still seems to miss just a little and blue smoke shut the truck off and the line from fuel pump to filter bleeds back about 2 inches. fuel pump bad???

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I have cleaned mine on the truck and beleive it was easier then removing the pump mostly cause the injector lines are under the turbo on the factory trucks but I put it back together and it wouldn't start so I took it back apart and put it back together and it probably only took me 10 minutes the second time everything was fine just didn't have the lines loose enough to let all the air out but I agree with Mel I wouldn't do it if youv'e never had a pump apart cause you can't see everything when its on the truck so you just need to know whats in there and where it goes. The biggest problem is the locating pin and offset ring for the internal pump and if you take the ring off the pump to see the hole the paddles for the pump and the tiny little springs that keep them tight will shoot out

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
You probably won't be able to see anything with a mirror and flashlight - remember fuel inlet pressure regulator screw is right there. The screen is cone shaped and I doubt you can see it very well.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda what I thought but if he looks in there and there is tons of gunk or goo it would be a no brainer.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yeah true... I will agree though that I would not recommend pulling one apart for the first time on the truck, because its so easy to drop parts and not getting to see where they go before hand would be bad...

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Like they said, be easier off rig.
To me it's not that hard to pull pump w/lines intact & have it in your hot little hands....not so apt to drop things back into dark shadows.

But if you gonna....I posted ex view of pump HERE
about 11th post down....i think first 2 attachments show screen in ex. view & parts.
maybe this will help

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online