IP problem I do believe

bubba_89

Reaction score
Going to work yesterday morning and got half way to work and truck started making a ticking/clicking sound pretty bad. Figured go till she blows. Made it to work opened the hood and the sound was coming from the IP. Left work and the truck did fine no sound. Drove around today and its back. Was wondering is the pump going out? Plus to add to it its dumping a thick cloud of white smoke when making the sound.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How many miles are on the injection pump. Sorry to say this but I feel your pump is going out. On a cold engine white smoke is unburned fuel. Same thing happens when the glow plugs stop working and you see white puffs of smoke out the tail pipe during cranking.

bubba_89

Reaction score
Haven't touched the fuel screw on it. And has new glowplugs and injectors.. and the mileage on the pump I do believe is 154k. Its my fathers old truck. To t best of my knowledge we have never replaced the pump.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Then with that amount of miles its due for a pump replacement. Your just over the usual mileage when they break down on you.

bubba_89

Reaction score
Ten four thats what I was thinking.. yay now to find me an IP. Would go moose just this ol navy boy ain't got money just yet..lol

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ten four thats what I was thinking.. yay now to find me an IP. Would go moose just this ol navy boy ain't got money just yet..lol
Just choose carefully whose product buy. There are lots of IP rebuilders. Pensacola is not reliable for one. Check the Marketplace forum on here.

Re-read your first post, check the nuts holding the IP, make sure there tight, take the cover off on front of the IP gear tower, check the three bolts for tight, takes a 5/16"--12 point socket, you'll need that socket anyhow if you change the IP. Just can't imagine a ticking sound from the IP.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online