IP leaking

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seem to have a pretty decent fuel leak from the bottom of the pump on the opposite side of the Advance arm. Can anyone tell me what that giant plug is for and if there is a seal I can replace? The pump is less than a year old from OFI, but I don't look forward to removing it again.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly its time to return that pump for warranty to the builder. OFI will take care of you too. There is an o0ring behind that cap but I'm sure the pump must be off the engine to repair it. Also on that side of the pump is a cover shaped like a home base plate found in baseball. that has a rubber seal under it and may be the location of the leak too.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to have a pretty decent fuel leak from the bottom of the pump on the opposite side of the Advance arm. Can anyone tell me what that giant plug is for and if there is a seal I can replace? The pump is less than a year old from OFI, but I don't look forward to removing it again.

If the plug your referring to is next to the fuel adjust cover on the throttle side, that is the head anchor plug. Yes you can remove it and replace the o'ring, but, DO NOT ROTATE THE PUMP WITH THAT PLUG OUT. . As ican said the fuel adjust cover has a rubber gasket, if that's where it's leaking try tightening it, but very gentle, as you can strip the screws very easy. You can get the o'ring at most any hardware store. Try ACE.

Also you could try tightening the plug, or back it out a few threads and see if the o'ring is broke.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.”

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.”

Ouch.. Couldn't swing the core charge wait, truck wasn't driveable and I needed it on the road NOW. I took the IP off the night before, drove down to Eugene the next day, and installed it when I got home.

That being said, it wasn't that cheap. Plus it's less than a month out of warranty. I can't imagine this thing has an intermittent leak, but it was dry this weekend when I looked at it, whereas last week everything from the IP down to the fuel pump was soaked.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly its time to return that pump for warranty to the builder. OFI will take care of you too. There is an o0ring behind that cap but I'm sure the pump must be off the engine to repair it. Also on that side of the pump is a cover shaped like a home base plate found in baseball. that has a rubber seal under it and may be the location of the leak too.

Not so much. Apparently, It was a year ago last month. They told me there was a ring that could be replaced, but they sure didn't jump to take care of it.

Black dawg

Reaction score
That plug is sealed with an o ring. It seems like I had to bend a wrench to get it, but I have replaced a few of these o rings without pump removal. It might just be loose??

Black dawg

Reaction score

Maybe this just struck me wrong, but this seems a little unprofessional to me.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a famous saying and it's been around a long time. Hence the quotes. There's nothing unprofessional about reminding people that you often get what you pay for.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My feeling are what Mel posted is not a shot at anyone nor is it an unprofessional responce at all. Its a fact we sometimes buy the cheapest product in the hopes its a great deal. But later on we find it was not such a great deal. I have bought some great deals only to find out later on they were not so great of a deal. The "lifetime warrantys" come to mind. The facts are this.. Quality costs and we get what we pay for. We all like to find a good deal but that costs twice sometimes. What saddens me most is a new member coming here AFTER they bought from someone in the Hall of Shame. But really how would they have known before hand about the shittiy business people listed there. Ya can't save all of them... If we could all have a spare everything waiting to that day when its needed right now.... But I guess we would have a spare truck waiting there...

Black dawg

Reaction score
That's a famous saying and it's been around a long time. Hence the quotes. There's nothing unprofessional about reminding people that you often get what you pay for.

There is nothing unprofessional about the saying, and it is quite true. Using it in this thread and the assumptions made is what makes it unprofessional.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe this just struck me wrong, but this seems a little unprofessional to me.

I have a friend whom owns his own roofing company and all his trucks have that across the tail gates....

It is so very true in any environment...from Gov't to business to personal life experiences...

I'll be posting it when I hang my shingle out at my shop!

Just sayin....

​Al

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This kind of reminds me of that time I bought those reman injectors from Mylex. They were cheap and I decided to go with them. About 2 weeks later, the engine was running on 7 cylinders and smoking something awful. Had to stop at idi econolines (Rich) place in Sacramento on my way back up to Chico because it was smoking so bad I thought I was going to get pulled over. Long story short, one of the reman injectors completely clogged one of my precups full of rock solid carbon. I went ahead and bought a new set of Delphi BB's after that mishap. I had to use a chisel to break up that coked carbon in the precup. Not fun. Anyways, I learned my lesson there. Sometimes it is better to buy the better stuff for certain applications IMO.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have a friend whom owns his own roofing company and all his trucks have that across the tail gates....

It is so very true in any environment...from Gov't to business to personal life experiences...

I'll be posting it when I hang my shingle out at my shop!

Just sayin....

​Al

I have nothing against the saying, it is very true. That post in the context of this thread, read to me, HA HA should have bought a pump from me.

I apologize for polluting the thread.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The post in the context of this thread, read to me as, "HA HA should have bought a pump from me".

I felt the same way when I read it. To have one of the the most knowledgeable people here say that, and nothing else to someone having an issue is very disheartening. OFI was recommended by several on here, and their reputation and price is on par with yours from what I gather. If you had been willing to ship a pump with no core attached to it I would have bought yours, but since you plainly state, YOU DON"T DO THAT, I didn't bother you and went local since I couldn't afford the core.

I'll let the rest of you know what I find when it stops raining.