ip goin...how long?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's the quality/workmanship of their rebuild?

i have had them on my 6.2 with no problems. i think the reason that price is lower than a lot of other shops is, first of all, small family business (no union or anything like that) and also that price does not include major work on the head/rotor (like sleaving, machining, etc.). If the head is worn beyond limits he just finds a core with a good head and rebuilds it. So, it is just a basic rebuild/repair job.

Paul

RockinB

Reaction score
My replacement IP just arrived, where do I get the 16pt socket to remove and reinstall it with? Also, do I need to use a thread sealer for the plumbing hardware?

Thanks,
Bill

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
My replacement IP just arrived, where do I get the 16pt socket to remove and reinstall it with? Also, do I need to use a thread sealer for the plumbing hardware?

Thanks,
Bill

Are you sure it's not a 12 point? Never heard of a 16 point anything and I can't see anything but 6 points on the external bolts.... No thread sealer needed on the plumbing, should be seals on all the lines.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
5/16" 12 pt socket for the 3 bolts on the timing gear.

Local parts stores should have em. I think the one I use is a Craftsman.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Good, I hoped my eyesight wasn't going! That's the second post I've seen where they were looking for a 16 point socket, maybe there's an instruction sheet that incorrectly lists needing it? Or they ran out of fingers?

RockinB

Reaction score
5/16" 12 pt socket for the 3 bolts on the timing gear.

*in best Rosanne Rosannadanna voice*
"Nevermind"

I'm sure I'll be back with more entertaining questions later.

Thanks everyone,
Bill

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks,
Bill

Sorry that was probably me. I've never been able to get that error edited to say 12 point.

RockinB

Reaction score
[/Sorry that was probably me.QUOTE]
No trouble, just trying to do my homework for a smooth install. By the way, thanks for the writeup.

I was surveying the situation again last night, (won't have time to do the replacement until Saturday) and the ip that is in there now is a reman. I supposedly bought this truck from the original owner. Two ip's in less than 100k? Oh well, it is what it is.

suv7734

Reaction score
Mel, like RockinB asked...where do we purchase the needed curved 12-point IP wrench? :dunno
The 3 bolts on the front of the IP that hold it to the drive gear are a 5/16" (or if not available an 8mm socket will work just as well) twelve point. A wrench will work but a socket is much more reliable and easier/reliable to use (no chance of striping bolt heads). Any good tool shop will have the socket, personaly I regularly use Craftsman.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3 bolts on the front of the IP that hold it to the drive gear are a 5/16" (or if not available an 8mm socket will work just as well) twelve point. A wrench will work but a socket is much more reliable and easier/reliable to use (no chance of striping bolt heads). Any good tool shop will have the socket, personaly I regularly use Craftsman.

Don't we need a curved wrench for the fuel lines at the rear of the IP, down at the bottom?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just remove the ip with all the lines attached. It is much easier to remove the lines on the bench if there is no turbo in the way.

And I fully agree...but...what about (if) when installing all the lines on the replacement IP (on the bench) they might need to be tweaked/tightened 'after' the IP is mounted back on the engine, we need the curved wrench for that correct ?
And if so where does one purchase it? :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online