How long to start after IP Replaced

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I've been cranking it with the throttle open now. The solenoid does click. I've pulled the IP on this truck before, just don't remember it taking as long to start, but then again, there may have already been some fuel in it and the lines.

Still no luck. getting fuel at the schrader valve. I don't get it, I don't have a drop of fuel coming out anywhere. Guy said it came off a running truck, but who knows now at this point. I'm at a loss here. I about ready to take that POS off, maybe chuck the driving of the IP in my lathe, run fuel in it, 12V and see if will pump fuel.
Wait hold up a minute. You have no fuel out of the schrader valve at the filter? Thats not an injection pump issue thats a lift pump issue. Your injection pump is probably fine and your lift pump is shot.

scjarena

Reaction score
I mixed up some ATF/acetone and let it soak in the pump overnight. Hooked up an external pump to ran some ATF into IP at about 15psi, I saw IP filling up, so can't be any obstructions or crap in the intake side. Put it back to together, still a no start.

Decided for now to put the old IP back on. The only problem I had with it is a heat soak/hard to start hot problem. Old pump back on, 3 start tries, fuel starting coming out of lines. A couple more start tries, fuel at all injections. Closed them up and she started right up. At least I’m back on the road until I get some green together for a rebuilt IP. In the meantime, I should tear down the no start IP and see if I can find out why.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since you know that this one has a not start issue, be sure to carry some water with you just in case.

scjarena

Reaction score
I decided to tear down the extra injector pump to see if I can find out why it wasn’t working. Everything looked good until I got to the main plungers which act as the main pistons for pressurizing the fuel if I understand correctly. They were gummed up and didn’t move freely. The delivery valve also seemed to not move freely so I cleaned them, reassembled everything. I chucked the input end in my lathe, supported the other side, pumped in fuel and 12V to test. Fuel started shooting out the ports. Put it back in the truck and its running good now. I’m not so afraid to tear into these things now. As long as you don’t mess with any of the adjustable screws, etc. It’s not too hard to work on.