88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok in looking at a ricer intercooler
its 18 by 12 core size flows 600 cfm
ive heard of other people running one of these
but if you have 7.3l times 3000 rpm you get 2190 liters
then convert to cfm you get 774
but with boost that should produce more flow correct? and will the intercooler flow more at boost?
now a 2l engine at 6500 rpm should be 460 cfm if my math is right
and a 3.5l engine at 6500 rpm should be 804 cfm
would that be too much for this intercooler?

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I got one off ebay for mine it was rated for a turbocharged mustang or something along those lines. Its rated at 950 cfm. just beware of the cheap one that might not hold up very long. the only kicker on my intercooler is that both inlet and outlet are on the same size. but they are 3" diameter. My pipes that I bought from hypermax for only $200 are 2 1/4" diameter so you gotta reduce it. I bought mine from Miragepower2008's store. and you can call hypermax and order the pipes that will go right to the same as the intercooler just gotta make ur bends in the grille area.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
You should be more concerned with efficiency. Flow is important, but efficiency is key in a small IC

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
That first one Rob posted is a very good unit and its likely to go cheap because the guy misspelled the name, its a Spearco built intercooler. I run a custom made spearco unit on my turbo eclipse and I love it. If I ever get the money I'll probably have them build me one for a 2nd gen dodge cummins so that I can replace the stock unit I have in my brown truck.

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok in looking at a ricer intercooler
its 18 by 12 core size flows 600 cfm
ive heard of other people running one of these
but if you have 7.3l times 3000 rpm you get 2190 liters
then convert to cfm you get 774
but with boost that should produce more flow correct? and will the intercooler flow more at boost?
now a 2l engine at 6500 rpm should be 460 cfm if my math is right
and a 3.5l engine at 6500 rpm should be 804 cfm
would that be too much for this intercooler?

(444x 3000)/ 1728= 770cfm/2 (its a 4 stroke engine)= 385cfm is the most volume you can flow. It will probably be more like 327 (85% volumetric efficiency) Your holset will flow 60lbs/min which is about 800cfm at the inlet at 70degrees Fahrenheit. In reality your engine wont ever flow more than the 327 cfm, it will be heavier air, but the same volume. If you have any questions about what I just said let me know. I know I can be confusing sometimes.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are confusing 429 but helpfull i get it i forgot the 4 stroke im going to copy that to my other thread
so this inter cooler should work fine?

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are confusing 429 but helpfull i get it i forgot the 4 stroke im going to copy that to my other thread
so this inter cooler should work fine?

Sorry some things I say take more explaining than I care to do. I got some pictures of measurements up on those holset turbines. I also got a picture with a 7 blade hx35 compressor wheel vs my he351 wheel.

The intercooler I have is 45" by 17" by 2 1/2. It has 3 1/2 inlets and outlets, but I haven't installed it yet. Like somebody said before, you should also be concerned about the effectiveness (efficiency) of the intercooler. It will flow enough, but I didn't see an efficiency rating on it. An intercooler is like a radiator, the longer what ever fluid/gas you are trying to cool stays in there, the more effective it will be. That's why bigger coolers are better. I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just saying I can't say for sure how well it will perform.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the link i posted had some info
it shows the pressure drop i thought that was directly linked to efficiency

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the link i posted had some info
it shows the pressure drop i thought that was directly linked to efficiency

No, intercooler efficiency = (temp in-temp out)/(temp in- temp ambient).

It measures how effective the intercooler is, based on the temperature difference between in and out with a given ambient temperature. Air to air intercoolers are usually about 70% efficient whereas air to water intercoolers are about 85%.

While were on the issue of pressure drop, I'd like to bring to attention that the drop they advertise is just from the restriction of the intercooler. Actual intake pressure may drop a lot more than what they have rated because of the cooling and condensing of the air. A more efficient intercooler will drop intake pressures more than an inefficient cooler.

That cooler is probably good, I just don't want to say Ya it'll be great, and have it not work out for you.;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I was able to measure on my truck, a 3" core would be very hard to fit behind the grill. Not sure if its any easier on 87 and up pickups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Staff online

Members online