Intercooler size ?

SIKPUP

Reaction score
Since my insurance company sounded like it was going to total my truck , I dropped the claim. I pulled the radiator support and put in a borrowed radiator and drove the truck home to Spring City, Pa. from Cecil County, Md.
( where I hit the deer )
Now that my truck is home, I can take the time I need to install my used Banks sidewinder and while the front end is stripped down it seems only natural to fit an intercooler. What size does this turbo need ? I can custom fab up whatever I need, but I'm not sure on the size and flow rates that is required . I'm also getting the cut out bumper while I'm at it.

Thanks,
Mike

rubberfish

Reaction score
aaklingler said:
If you want to do some fab work I believe the factory psd intercooler will work.
Yes it does,,just look for the style without the plastic tanks
when you're scrounging through the wrecking yard.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry, the photo's are not of my truck.

When I get to that point, I was going to purchase some straight 3" pipe and some prebent 90's and cut and mig weld it together. Or find a local muffler shop that can mandrel bend 3" pipe and have them make the two pipes.

bsays

Longgreenford
Reaction score
JPR said:
sorry, the photo's are not of my truck.

When I get to that point, I was going to purchase some straight 3" pipe and some prebent 90's and cut and mig weld it together. Or find a local muffler shop that can mandrel bend 3" pipe and have them make the two pipes.

How did you connect to the factory intake hat? I was thinking about jst getting an 2" OD pipe and sliding it into the hat then drill and tap the hat right at the end and insert a bolt to secure the 2" pipe, do you think that would work?

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not connect directly without some type of rubber connection.

These folks have most any type of hose connection. I would think the hump type connection would be best because it allows the most movement without binding. http://www.turbohoses.com/Hump.htm
I have seen cheaper prices else where, just can't find them this evening.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you need ideas, go over to the "let's talk intercoolers" thread and at least look at the pretty pictures if you don't want to read the blurbage.

SIKPUP

Reaction score
I was looking for information leaning more to the aftermarket, as to CFM , horsepower, core sizes, that would be enough to do the job required for these diesels.
When you look in the aftermarket there are a lot of options that seem like they would work and not be covering up the radiator and a/c condenser. I read the "lets talk intercoolers" and saw some of you were using aftermarket intercoolers and wanted to know if there was a formula to get the proper size core for CFM and horsepower ?
Or do I pick one that I think has what I think it needs and see if it works ?

Thanks,
Mike

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I shot for about 1000 cfm, and about 1000 cubic inch core size. Mine seems to be working well. The hot side is super hot, and the outlet side is nice and cool to the touch. I also went with the bar and plate design just cuz it seemed like no one else had. My core is 28 x 12 x 4 with a 3" inlet and outlet. I'm only losing about 1 lb of boost so it seems like a good fit. Check the Blizzard Air thread if you haven't already to see pictures of my setup.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
JPR said:
I would not connect directly without some type of rubber connection.

These folks have most any type of hose connection. I would think the hump type connection would be best because it allows the most movement without binding. http://www.turbohoses.com/Hump.htm
I have seen cheaper prices else where, just can't find them this evening.

Yep, you want the hump hoses. I actually replaced all of my straight hoses with hump hoses just tonight. The straight hoses dont allow enough give. I'll update the blizzard air thread with the latest story.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My larger concern is the amount of heat the IC is getting rid of and the heat goes into the AC and the radiator. I decided on the ATS kit due to the fact that I had the ATS turbo already on the truck and the IC only blocked half of the radiator. yes, the warmness on the pipes is very noticable pre and post IC. following my belief of "there is no free lunch" principle, I didn't want to cause another problem from cooling down the intake charge. I do have a converted R134 AC system and it did have problems in 95deg plus heat. The system did vent from overpressure and my cooling remained uncomfortably warm in 100deg plus heat. So, the debate of full height vs. half height IC's really boils down to which trade offs you are willing to live with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online