Socket size

gandalf

Reaction score
After working way too long trying to remove the IP on my '86 truck, I remembered that there are 3 bolts hiding behind the oil fill which must be removed. I got to them and was reminded that they are that funny bolthead. It has a specific name, I think. Does anyone know the name of that type head?

Of course it needs a special type socket. Is it a female torx? Would it need sockets like THIS? Those sockets seem to be "E" sizes, whatever those may be. Which "E" size would fit?

I seem to recall also that a 12 point 5/16 socket will work. Is that right?

I'm stuck because I have no 12 point sockets here, and am unable to borrow one.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any of those funky sockets so I'm pretty sure I must have used a 12pt.
I'd happily mail mine to you to borrow but I'm sure you have better options than that.

gandalf

Reaction score
My son-in-law found that he had the proper socket set, sockets which were made specifically for this type of bolt head. It's a Craftsman set, almost complete with many sockets, SAE and metric. It has the proper socket for the bolt in our engines. It fits perfectly. Unfortunately the only ratchet is a small one, which fits the socket well, but is only about 6 inches long.

Whoever installed the IP (I remember the outfit, and even have a receipt, though they have since gone out of business) must have used some serious locktight. I couldn't even begin to move those bolts, not with a 6 inch ratchet. If it were my kit I might have considered using a lead pipe extension on the ratchet. The larger ratchet was missing. Unlike a normal setup, the sockets in this set have a male connection on the socket into a female connection on the ratchet.

I'll attach a picture of a considerably larger socket for a visual reference, larger so you can better see the structure of the sockets. It is sitting on it's male connection for the ratchet.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 9

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right I sold those at an ace hardware I used to work at some customers really went nuts for them and I didn’t understand why. Maybe we know now

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I use a 3/8 or 1/4 deep socket on an impact with a quick blip when I take them off
I'll do the same thing sometimes. Like you mentioned earlier, it doesn't take a special socket to remove these bolts, just a 5/16" 12 point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88