Intercooler pipe routing options (pics)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shaved the bejezzus out of the grill to fit the 6.0 tranny cooler. I guess a new smaller cooler will be necessary when I add the intercooler.

6.oh no trans coolers for our trucks are complete overkill for a couple reasons.

1.The trucks they put those in have much higher combined gross ratings than our trucks are safely capable of.
2.The 4R100 pumps fluid in way that is much different than how the E4OD pumps fluid.When the 4R100 converter locks up,fluid flow actually slows.Meaning less volume flows through the cooler to keep it cool.A second reason for the need of a much larger cooler.When the E4OD's converter locks,our pumps flow very high volume through.

Ideal trans temp is around 175F

So,when you go to install an intercooler,don't be afraid to toss the massive trans cooler on ebay and replace it with a:
Amazon.com: Tru-Cool Max LPD47391

I have one of these on both my trucks (with the t-stat's),located down below my intercoolers,behind the bumper.My trans temps always run,right around the t-stat temps or 10-15F more (225F is still very safe,though I very rarely see above 195F.)
With the F450,I don't even have the bumper style with the cutouts and it still runs cool.

EDIT:
OH wait,the 6.0's don't use the 4R100's.My bad.Those with the 7.3L super duty trucks with the 4R100's love those coolers for the reason of how their pumps flow,though.That's why you see those guys swear by those.So I got mixed up there but the rest applies.

Last edited:

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.oh no trans coolers for our trucks are complete overkill for a couple reasons.

1.The trucks they put those in have much higher combined gross ratings than our trucks are safely capable of.
2.The 4R100 pumps fluid in way that is much different than how the E4OD pumps fluid.When the 4R100 converter locks up,fluid flow actually slows.Meaning less volume flows through the cooler to keep it cool.A second reason for the need of a much larger cooler.When the E4OD's converter locks,our pumps flow very high volume through.

Ideal trans temp is around 175F

So,when you go to install an intercooler,don't be afraid to toss the massive trans cooler on ebay and replace it with a:
Amazon.com: Tru-Cool Max LPD47391

I have one of these on both my trucks (with the t-stat's),located down below my intercoolers,behind the bumper.My trans temps always run,right around the t-stat temps or 10-15F more (225F is still very safe,though I very rarely see above 195F.)
With the F450,I don't even have the bumper style with the cutouts and it still runs cool.

EDIT:
OH wait,the 6.0's don't use the 4R100's.My bad.Those with the 7.3L super duty trucks with the 4R100's love those coolers for the reason of how their pumps flow,though.That's why you see those guys swear by those.So I got mixed up there but the rest applies.

Thanks for the input!
I'd really appreciate some pictures of your IC setup...

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to make time to install mine since I have a factory turbo and the most common cooler used and universal pipe kit I feel it would help those doing the less expensive route like I am, and going around the wide style radiator

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
EDIT:

It's the 5R100. I don't recall it being that much different though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin ran lots of water **** with his bronco engine, that and i guess techically fuel to also keep it cool. He has to run glow plugs when cranking to get it to fire, or else the amount of fuel going into the cylinder puts out the "fire" of ignition. It is also strictly a play toy, stoplight to stoplight, and dyno runs/ drag events. Not for towing use. 200+ ccs of fuel.

Brick nose with a good bit of encouragement can have a intercooler behind the grille. Yes some trimming with grille is required.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin made mentioning of a new "black pump" pushing 300+cc of fuel with the most recent motor installed to the bronco on Facebook he has a video of 0-60+ psi of boost driving down the road in it

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin ran lots of water **** with his bronco engine, that and i guess techically fuel to also keep it cool. He has to run glow plugs when cranking to get it to fire, or else the amount of fuel going into the cylinder puts out the "fire" of ignition. It is also strictly a play toy, stoplight to stoplight, and dyno runs/ drag events. Not for towing use. 200+ ccs of fuel.

Brick nose with a good bit of encouragement can have a intercooler behind the grille. Yes some trimming with grille is required.
From my experience racing, non intercooled diesels pushing a lot of fuel=time bomb
:bail

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is supposed to be wastegated to 55 and you are correct in one of his drives he still hit 62 psi.
fueling sheet on the black pump is
209cc @ 1000
213cc @2000
204cc @ 2800
overflow @ 3000

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online