Intercooler dissapointment...

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Okay.... So I just unhooked my intercooler yesterday till I can get some money together to hook it up better. Now I KNOW I had some leaks in the pipework but I'm not all that impressed with my intercooler setup..... It could be just the fact that the pipework wasn't great..... I didn't unhook it because of the lousy performance, I did it cause I had a bunch of oil leaks and stuff via the CDR into the intake thru the turbo and out of anything that wasn't sealed up good. Anyways..... long of the short I turned my intake hat back around and good golly..... this truck drives better than it ever has.... ;Sweet WAY more power, no more oil leaks (I finally did a road draft tube).....

So all in all.... I'll give the intercooler another whirl but I'm not too happy with how it turned out...... Just figured I'd share my experiance.....

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It must be the leaks bc the IC does help and mainly You'll see it shine Towing and in hot weather.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I'm sure that was the case..... I've just been fed up with it I guess..... have a bad attitude about it at the moment.....

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Hey Sam, don't get discouraged. One tiny leak can make a world of difference when it comes to stuffing air into it.

I did a motor swap on one of Darrins rigs that had an ATS setup with an IC.
Boost numbers showed lower than a non IC'ed motor, but man that thing had some gitup n go.;Sweet

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaks in intercooler pipes are bad.

Have you ever hooked up an intercooler before your truck? I did a front mount in my Thunderbird and am using that experience to do one in my truck. I prefer to use exhaust pipe for the charge tubes, so that I can weld it and not have couplers all over the place (because that's where it's most likely to leak).

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help You but when I did mine I didn't want to use several pieces of pipe with boots and I can not weld aluminum pipe so I went to the local hydraulic shop and got Me the right size hose then connect one end to the IC the other end to the intake. One section, 2 clamps and no leaks. This hoses are very strong and for the price I rather not worry about leaks.

zpd307

Reaction score
i was just thinking she could send it to me........ i would even pay the shipping. :D

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help You but when I did mine I didn't want to use several pieces of pipe with boots and I can not weld aluminum pipe so I went to the local hydraulic shop and got Me the right size hose then connect one end to the IC the other end to the intake. One section, 2 clamps and no leaks. This hoses are very strong and for the price I rather not worry about leaks.

i might be stupid but hydralic hose for you intercooler piping what size hose did you use

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score

You have pics & specs of that setup? Can't say I've heard of that one before.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Okay.... So I just unhooked my intercooler yesterday till I can get some money together to hook it up better. Now I KNOW I had some leaks in the pipework but I'm not all that impressed with my intercooler setup..... It could be just the fact that the pipework wasn't great..... I didn't unhook it because of the lousy performance, I did it cause I had a bunch of oil leaks and stuff via the CDR into the intake thru the turbo and out of anything that wasn't sealed up good. Anyways..... long of the short I turned my intake hat back around and good golly..... this truck drives better than it ever has.... ;Sweet WAY more power, no more oil leaks (I finally did a road draft tube).....

So all in all.... I'll give the intercooler another whirl but I'm not too happy with how it turned out...... Just figured I'd share my experiance.....

If the IC hoses you're having problems with are straight or near straight, measure the inside diameter. I may have some leftover Aeroquip hose that may fit the application. The stuff was origanlly for a helicoptor so it's plenty stout :D

--------Robert

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i might be stupid but hydralic hose for you intercooler piping what size hose did you use

quoting my self here but
i think the hose he used was suction hose for the hyd pump on some thing really big i didnt even think of that until this morning when i was working on a john deere tractor this morning with hydralic problems

GoodB0Y

Reaction score

hydraulic hose can come in any diameter, I've seen it as large as 4'', and it can withhold very high temps and pressures, I wonder if there is a bit of flex in the lines though?... I dint know if it would be good for very long runs but it sounds like a great idea... good one Exekiel..:thumbsup:

Last edited:

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
the pipework i had was 3".... It was a vurrrrry jerry rigged setup so thats why I will wait till spring and funding to fix it up. I have the right IC boots.... blue ones from ford, I just need to get better hook ups, mostly from the cool side to the intake, hence the need for a new hat with a 3" inlet. Do you have pics of the hydraulic hose deal? I dunno my truck has some serious git up n go now with no IC.... we'll see how it goes, I want to get it done right......