Intake size?

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I a, going to build an intercooler setup and making a custom intake hat. I think from what i have read that i need a 5.125" ID tube.

But those of you with motors that are torn down, would someone be able to measure the ID and OD of the intake hat lip? I dont feel like tearing my whole thing apart to measure.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got three manifolds here and they all measure just 5'' across the top with aprox 1/4 wide gasket surface, the casting is a little ruff around the inside but it measures 4 5/8" inches inside the neck of the opening, i think I will clean this up on the the one I put on my engine, I have a stock snail that I want to modify to have a 3" fitting for my intercooler. What size tubes are you gonna run.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tube will be 3" and i have a piece of pipe that is 6" OD and 5.375" ID. The would then be adapted to the intercooler pipes....

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my intercooler is off a 06 dodge, my engine is going in a rear engine motorhome so i have lots of room to plumb it. It will be mounted on the side of the engine bay with a big fan pushing cool air through from outside.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya a gasser carb spacer fits thats how i did my aircleaner
id stick with 5.125 to give some wiggle room
also just take the snail shell off and slide it on or find a na truck to try it on
the best solution is to try it and make sure
i spend half my fab time trying stuff even as stupid as it is
i spent an hr deciding where to mount my air compressor in my toolbox just to make sure i have everything covered

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I would use the square o-ring stuff. I even would buy the bulk square stuff and make my own. Maybe make them for others too. Cottage industry right there... Who else is makeing them these days.. Like me... I filled the gap with the timing meter rental program because nobody was offering to time our rigs. Everybody wins too.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've made 100's of O'rings all different sizes over the years, easy to do. Single edge razor, instant glue and anything V shaped.
Cut to length as square as possible, a dab of glue, place in the V and push the ends together and hold for about 15 seconds. With a kit from HF, you can take several O'rings and glue them together for large circle ones. That's for Buna N rings. Viton is a whole new thing, need the special glue.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
just FYI, i found out that a center cap off a 8 lug wheel fits PERFECT over the intake inlet. most even have a nice oring on them too.

Dejomo

Reaction score
I've made 100's of O'rings all different sizes over the years, easy to do. Single edge razor, instant glue and anything V shaped.
Cut to length as square as possible, a dab of glue, place in the V and push the ends together and hold for about 15 seconds. With a kit from HF, you can take several O'rings and glue them together for large circle ones. That's for Buna N rings. Viton is a whole new thing, need the special glue.

I'll be damned...learned something new today!!!