Intake Manifold and valve cover powder coating

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’ve got these parts off my truck because I’m in the process of putting head studs in. What I’m trying to find out is how hot my intake manifold and valve covers will get at WOT... I called the powder coating company and he said it’s good for up to 200 degrees. Or he has ceramic which is good to 1600 but limited on color choice. If I had the engine together I would just shoot it with a temperature gun but I have no way to do that.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will both exceed 200

Ever powder coat injector lines? I thought about it but I need to keep a couple spots bare for timing. Every time I've painted the lines they get messed up with I unscrew the nut.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had valve covers powder
You must be registered for see images attach
coated.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Figure the intake will get as hot as the engine oil gets. Usually that is about 15 degrees above the coolant temps during heavy working like hauling a trailer or pulling a hill. No coolant runs thru our intake either.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think the powder coating would last at higher temps than 200* but I guess it depends on what your guy is using, I’ve powder coated injection lines with no issues but just a good high temp clear coat looks good too.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember buying a set of 289 HIPO heads back in the 1980's and they listed all coolant passages painted with rustoleum. They were also painted under the valve covers with same paint.

DougsOBS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powder coat will be more than fine for intake, valve covers ect.

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
So I’ve got these parts off my truck because I’m in the process of putting head studs in. What I’m trying to find out is how hot my intake manifold and valve covers will get at WOT... I called the powder coating company and he said it’s good for up to 200 degrees. Or he has ceramic which is good to 1600 but limited on color choice. If I had the engine together I would just shoot it with a temperature gun but I have no way to do that.

I have a 1994 turbo IDI... waiting for my R & D Stage 1 injectors to show up to install so trucks not running now... my question for you is, If i got a head stud kit can that be done in the engine bay ? Should i do anything to the heads ? Have them redone maybe ?
The truck has 306,000 miles on it and i am also waiting for my Wicked Wheel 2 to show up so for now im doing a garrett turbo kit with new o rings and gaskets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron

Members online