Installing hypermax turbo on 87 6.9

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
I bought a 1987 F250 about a year ago, and in good mechanical shape. I did replace a few parts but nothing major and it runs fantastic for an 87, that being said, I been doing a lot of research on the turbo systems and really liked the hypermax over the other two. I happened to find on craigslist a used Hypermax system. I had to order some parts through hypermax to complete the install, I must say they treated me very well, they replied very quickly and I recieved my parts within three days!:thumbsup: The most expensive parts I needed was the exhaust piping, (up and down pipe), everything else was reasonable. I did purchase the down pipe, and managed to fab the up pipes from 90 degree elbows and flexable pipe. Hypermax wants $125 a piece for the up pipes! cookoo I am going to run the stock fuel setting for now, as I do want to get the proper gages to go with this turbo in order to adjust the pump.
I dont believe that my heads are leaking, but am wondering if it would be a good idea to retorque the head bolts to 85ftlbs. Would this be a good idea to prevent any gasket issues, or would it be better not to touch them?
The truck has 110000 miles that I know of, it doesnt have the hundred thousand on the odo. I do believe that it is only 110000 because it will start every time (even in the dead of winter) with cycling the plugs only once. I am compairing it to my other idi that had over 200000 on it, (it was very hard to start in the winter). Am I wrong to turbo my idi without doing any major engine work? Any thoughts or suggestions would be great, and thanks for any help.:thumbsup:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not retorque the heads, Mel and LMJD argued over it ad nauseum on TDS but Mel suggests you can't get proper torque values. Probably your head gaskets will leak at some point just because of the bad original design but worry about that if and when it happens. You're unlikely to hurt anything else on the engine as long as you keep sustained EGTS <1000 and maybe 1250 for a short burst(preturbo probe) and boost less than 10-12 psi most of the time you don't need any engine mods. You do need gauges so you know what your engine is telling you.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Take an Awl or sharp punch & a hammer & swiss cheese your valley pan hole. Don't ask me how I found out what happens if you install the turbo without doing so.......

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+2 make sure to do this and make sure you have CLEAN oil coming out of the supply line before you bolt it together. That gallery should be cleaned very thoroughly and probably the engine run with the plug out till you get clean oil. That's what Justin would say anyhow, I got lucky with mine.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
hypermax suggests retorquing the head bolts in the instruction packet that comes with the turbo kit. I did it and I see why it is recommended not to. unless you have the motor outside the truck you cant get to a couple of the bolts. if i where to do it over again I would run it till they leak then pull the motor and do head gaskets and arp studs just to be safe.

your call, as it is your truck, but that is my .02

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
I did punch holes in the vally pan as I read Mels turbo install articles. I did try to purge the oil feed lines by crancking the engine over, but couldnt get any oil to flow out of the line. I was afraid to run the turbo without the line hooked up, did I make a mistake?