Installing a Bronco Tank

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Like I mentioned in my other thread, I need to repair the fuel pickup in my rear tank. So since I have to drop the tank anyway, I was thinking I may swap the tank out all together with a Bronco tank,

I've got some questions about this...
Who's done it?
Which year Bronco tank do I need?
The Bronco tanks are about 33 gallons, right?
Are there any larger tank options?
Can I keep my spare where it is, or do I have to relocate it?

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
OK, I have been following F350camper's tank troubles because I have the same issues. And after researching here and TDS Ive come to the conclusion that the actual Bronco tank is a bad idea because diesel fuel and galvanized metal doesnt agree, but guys are reporting that they have had no effects, in one case nuthin sence 1989?? Well I have a few questions, I dont want to PM Brian (Mojave Red) well I dont think he wants his Mail flooded with the same questions over and over again. hehehe
OK I have these questions, can our sending units mount right on the Bronco tank?? (Same diameter opening) What exactly needs to be done for the fuel gauge to work properly? (as I have never been inside a fuel tank I have NEVER even messed with a sending unit) And lastly, seems how everyone says Galvanized metal, and diesel fuel is a no no, cant some sort of diesel compatible, fuel tank sealer be used inside a Galv. tank??
OK I think that does it.

:draw

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't encourage doing it...but then again, I have been feeding my truck whatever that can burn these days, so I don't think that is doing the truck any better. You will need to measure your tank sender opening, and they do vary in diameter over the years. Prolly the best to do is to get the sender for the Bronco tank if it is still avail. at least you will know the float travel will be correct.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 10 years ago I ordered a double capacity tank from JC Whitney, it was for a 77 F250, but they had them for other years. It included longer bolts and spacers, and a piece of hose to entend the fuel pickup down. Last I saw they still carried the special tanks.

I'm sure this option is more expensive than a Bronco tank, but might be less troublesome.

tenlug

Reaction score
Put a 32 gallon tank out of a 79 Bronco in my 90. Used the straps, rear fuel tank crossmember, and skid plate out of the Bronco. I hung the sending unit out of the 90 on the fuel pickup of the bronco tank and set it up so that it reads empty when it is empty. It stays on full for the top half of the tank and when the gauge start to drop off full you've got about 180 miles to empty. The galvinizing has not been a problem for me. Also this tank fills fast. Put the spare in the bed. Steve

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about galvanized metal. Lots of different stuff goes into my rear tank, and hardly any of it is diesel.

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a 38 gallon aftermarket just over a year ago. The tank came with a kit that consisted of some extra long bolts and a copper tube to be used to extent the pick-up tube. Both my senders where shot at the time so I bought new ones from Ford. I use a tube cutter to cut the rear tank pick-up tube at the center point, inserted the coper tube and soldered it up. I extended the float using a heavy duty coat hanger. To date - no problems. If I where using a Bronco tank, I would use a Bronco pick up. I can tell you, all the metal part on the new Ford "Diesel" pick-up are galvanized. I went to great lengths to make sure my new tank would be diesel compatible but have never seen any "real" proof or explanation why a diesel/galvanized combination is bad.

You're going to love the extended range the large tank gives you. Just be sure to have adequate health insurance to pay for the multiple heart attacks at the pump.

It's alway ok to PM me... Brian

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Mojave Red said:
I installed a 38 gallon aftermarket just over a year ago. The tank came with a kit that consisted of some extra long bolts and a copper tube to be used to extent the pick-up tube. Both my senders where shot at the time so I bought new ones from Ford. I use a tube cutter to cut the rear tank pick-up tube at the center point, inserted the coper tube and soldered it up. I extended the float using a heavy duty coat hanger. To date - no problems. If I where using a Bronco tank, I would use a Bronco pick up. I can tell you, all the metal part on the new Ford "Diesel" pick-up are galvanized. I went to great lengths to make sure my new tank would be diesel compatible but have never seen any "real" proof or explanation why a diesel/galvanized combination is bad.

You're going to love the extended range the large tank gives you. Just be sure to have adequate health insurance to pay for the multiple heart attacks at the pump.

It's alway ok to PM me... Brian

Here is what I have in my "Library" about the "galvanized" tanks. OkieGringo
Why NOT to use Galvanized Fuel Tanks in a Diesel Engine

Original post by Member John348

The material the in "good" tanks are made from is ni-terne or terne strip.
Ni-terne is cold rolled, flashed with nickel then hot dipped with
90% lead 10% tin give or take a couple %pts.
NO Zinc.
Terne steel is hot dipped with just lead and tin no nickel flash.

Galvanize is hot dip zinc.
Galvalume is hot dipped zinc and aluminum.
Galvanneal is dipped zinc then strip annealed.

My steel mill expertise for you.

Diesel fuel coming in contact with zinc, copper or alloys containing them will cause accelerated aging of diesel fuel.
These metals will quickly react with diesel fuel to form unstable compounds.
In Other words, don't use zinc coated tanks use lead & tin

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the pick-ups are not galvanized. They are plated - I guess I must have been mistaken. I see copper on the list - and I've got a four inch tube in my tank now. Thanks for the info and setting me straight.

brian

SIKPUP

Reaction score
"Diesel fuel coming in contact with zinc, copper or alloys containing them will cause accelerated aging of diesel fuel."

How long would it take to " cause accererated aging " I can't afford to keep fuel in this truck long enough to age ! :rotflmao

SIKPUP :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well right now, the Bronco has had diesel fuel in it since October, and there is no negative effects thus far.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
shucks mel, you didnt just install a bronco TANK in your IDI, you installed the WHOLE bronco. LOL