Bronco Fuel Tank Install

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I decided to start on the installation of my Bronco fuel tank in my Blue Truck today. Since a lot of people ask about it, I decided to try document my progress here. I'm doing things differently than a lot/most people do so keep in mind that this is my method and yours may differ. I've been running on the front tank since I bought it and have only used the rear tank twice, once by accident. I'm keeping the front tank and using an electric transfer pump to pump fuel from the Bronco tank to the factory front tank.
Disclaimer #1: This is NOT going to be a quick three hour install. I don't even have everything that I need to actually use this set up yet so bear with me.
Disclaimer #2: some of the included pictures may upset some of my norther brethern and sistern. Sorry, but not sorry.
Disclaimer #3: I have never attempted this so I may make mistakes. That's part of learning, right? Also, this thread is intended to be entertaining as well as informative.
Quick truck background:
I bought this truck in January of 2013 with the intention of using the engine to replace the one in my Bronco with the A Block external crack. I had a guy drop me off about 180 miles from home with a few tools, a jack, a spare tire, and some blankets (just in case). A friend offered it to me for $500, but said that he'd take $100 off if I didn't want the flat bed. I told him to get it off of there. As I was driving it home, I decided that it reminded me of my first 85 F250 that I wrecked and I decided to keep it and drive it. Since I was driving it, I decided to replace the non working fuel senders with the ones from my wrecked truck that both had worked. No bed, easy job. While I was replacing the rear tank sender, I saw that the fuel was cloudy. I have no idea what caused it, but I decided to not run on the rear tank. A few years later, I was going down the Interstate and reached for the blower control switch to turn it down (it was winter) and accidentally hit the tank selector switch I drove for a couple of miles and realized what I had done so I switched back to the front tank. That's when I started drawing from the front tank and returning to the rear tank. A few months later (doing minimal driving with this truck) I bypassed the FSV to only run off of the front tank. I tried to drain the fuel out of the rear tank to get rid of it, but only got a couple of gallons out of the feed line. I knew that I had a hole in the tank now too. I've finally bought most of what I need to do a Bronco tank install. I bought a 33 gallon tank. This is WAY more good fuel than I've been able to carry since I bought the truck so I'm not going to worry about the 5 extra gallons that a 38 gallon tank would hold.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My first step was to lay out all of the new goodies. New tank, straps, vent hose, fittings, and the new transmission jack that I decided to break out for this job (not like it's actually hard to drop a stock, empty tank). The, on to removing the filler neck and marking it in order to drill a hole to put the elbow for the new vent line in it. When I got the truck, it didn't have any filler necks. they were left on the flat bed and there was just open hoses there. I started to install the filler necks from my wrecked truck after I got home, but the rear one had disappeared (I knew which crooked senior citizen had it but couldn't prove it) so I installed the front one. I dug around in my garage and found another one for a rear tank (hooray!). Before I put a bed on the truck, I decided to install new filler hoses. The rear one was too short and the filler neck wouldn't reach to bed to be mounted. I bought the hoses from LMC Truck so I called them up and said that they had sent the wrong one. They sent out another, but it was the same length. The I dawned on me that the filler neck that I had was too short, not the hose. Since I had two new hoses, I cut a few inches off of one, spliced the together, and was able to mount the rear filler neck. Even with the odd set up, it was extremely easy to remove the rear filler hose since it was only about 8 years old.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Next, on to tank removal. I didn't remember that I had the twin skid plates underneath the tank instead of straps, but it was no problem. Naturally, like many other things in my life, the transmission jack wasn't quite long enough. Not that an empty tank is heavy enough to matter much. I wasn't planning to reuse the factory fuel lines, so I wasn't very nice to them when I was lowering the tank. It was REALLY LOW when I removed the lines and it sure was easy. I thought about spraying the bolts that hold up the tank with a penetrating oil only as I was ready to remove them. My 3/8" impact had no issues removing those bolts (jealousy alert!). I forgot about the vent lint to the rollover valve until the tank was almost down. A couple of large flat tip screwdrivers made short work of getting it out of the tank though. Oh. By the way, did I mention that I had no trouble removing the plastic clips that hold the fuel lines onto the sender? I didn't break either one of them. They are they same ones that I reused back in 2013 while swapping senders too.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well here's what a sender looks like around here after I blew all the dirt off with compressed air. A little penetrating oil and out it came. I do have confirmation that the rear sender in my 85 F250 will work in the Bronco tank with the large hole. I believe that I ordered it for a 1985 Bronco. One more surprise- here's what a showerhead from the 1980's look like still attached to it's sender! The screen at the bottom was laying on the bottom of the tank, but the showerhead was still attached. It all doesn't matter since I'm going to use a piece of hose to extend the pick up for the Bronco tank. I'm not going to bother with the float since I'm not going to be using the fuel gauge for the rear tank anyway. Since I'm driving the truck without a rear tank, I didn't want the upper straps to disappear so I took care of that before I left for home. This is all for now, but Hopefully, I'll be able to finish this during the upcoming weekend. One part that I forgot to mention is the new lock ring and gasket that I ordered from Rock Auto that isn't here yet. Since I don't want to be dropping this tank back out anytime soon, I decided to not take a chance and buy a new gasket. I couldn't find it separately, so I ordered both along with some other things that I ordered.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Knew what a sending unit sock was but had not seen a shower head before. Thank you for sharing the picks so we all can see what to do when it’s our turn.

My sending units are toast so need to address at some point. I just use the tripometer, every 120-130 miles I switch tanks or if already have, re-fuel.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Today I picked up more supplies to go along with the install. Napa:3/8" fuel line to transfer the fuel into the front tank, a lighted toggle switch, some constant tension clamps, a universal relay, and a fuse holder. The toggle will be powered off of the fuse panel by a switched fuse (one that is only powered with the key on). I plan to use the fuse holder in the wire that comes from the battery to the relay. Kind of redundant, I know, but it's still better than taking a chance or burning up the relay is something goes wrong.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From Orscheln: some 14 gauge wire to power the e pump, some vinyl hose to run the power wire through to prevent chaffing, an inline filter to install before the pump, some chemicals to help seal the fittings to the filler necks, some more hose clamps (can't have too many), and hopefully enough fittings to get fuel into the front tank from the transfer pump.I bought more than this at Orscheln and did my usual thought of "it cost HOW MUCH?!?" after hearing the total.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I just checked and the tracking shows that the lock ring and gasket are supposed to be in the mail by Saturday, so hopefully I'll be able to finish this project up this weekend. No promises though.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I didn't get too far on this today. Between a haircut, new tires on the four wheeler, and other things, I just didn't have the time. I did manage to get the 5/8" vinyl hose slid over the 1" pex elbow that goes into the rollover valve grommet. That only took a few days of encouragement, some elbow grease, some lubrication, a little bit of sunlight, and A LOT of four letter words. Then PRESTO! It's all the way on the elbow.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I didn't like the way that the elbow fit into the grommet. It felt slightly loose. I was afraid that fuel would leak out around the elbow if the tank was completely full. A nice helping of black RTV should help out significantly.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Nice HARPOON job on that tank!!
Thanks. I told myself that it would work. Part of the reason behind this thread is to help others who may want to do this to their truck/s in the future. This way, maybe I can help someone else out with what to do or buy and maybe what not to do or buy.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I told myself that it would work. Part of the reason behind this thread is to help others who may want to do this to their truck/s in the future. This way, maybe I can help someone else out with what to do or buy and maybe what not to do or buy.
Yup. I'm already getting parts ready for pulling the bed.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It would make it a lot easier to do. I just had no reason the pull the bed. The original rear tank with a rust hole in the bottom was pretty easy to move around, transmission jack aside. The empty Bronco tank will be sort of easy to install. It'll just take some extra four letter words to move around the exhaust. I would also recommend using vinyl tubing that's larger than 5/8". It would be MUCH easier to install. Thanks Home Depot!-cuss

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online