Installed Detroit Truetrac..

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There isn't any comparison to an open diff. Besides swapping for a zf this is the best upgrade I have made so far, Worth every penny. I have no clue how it will hold up in the long run, I do alot of towing and hauling. Next on the list is two back tires...

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Keep us posted, I'm putting one in my travelette. Mostly a tow rig/truck puller. Will eventually get one in my dually.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has a detroit locker in the back. First time i heard it clang and bang i thought something was broke back there. Sure is nice when pulling toys out into the desert though.

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is a reasonable install cost for a locker. I don't think I want to tackle this but don't want to get hosed by paying someone else.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is a reasonable install cost for a locker. I don't think I want to tackle this but don't want to get hosed by paying someone else.

It only took me a hair over 2 hours to put mine in but I got lucky, I put the shims back exactly as they came out and it was good.. There are instances where some have to be reshimmed for proper backlash, Might have added another hour to the install. As for cost I have no idea as I do all my own work, Maybe someone will chime in with an idea of cost.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front of the Super's Ranger has one, awesome for front diffs! Love it.

Got to rebuild the rear 8.8 I got for her truck n such next LOL

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want this for my truck bad...i got a one wheel peel with 4:10 gears in my f250. It ain't hard to burn up a good firestone..LOL

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have a Detroit Truetrac in my rear diff and love it... Might be putting one in my front diff soon as well, I have a loud ting-ting-ting when rolling in 4x4, haven't pinpointed the noise yet.

Where is the best place to purchase nowadays?

How difficult is the install for a beginner? And what special tools are required?

Thanks!!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front of the Super's Ranger has one, awesome for front diffs! Love it.
Is it a true locker, or is it a limited slip unit?

I imagine that a true locker would be overkill for a front axle on a vehicle that doesn't see much in the way of hardcore off-roading, but converting an open to limited slip is appealing. My old Scout had limited slip front and rear and would go almost anywhere ;Sweet

And, I second the question on installation cost...I'm mechanically inclined, but I've heard that, unless you have experience setting gear preload and/or have someone with experience to babysit you, this really isn't a DIY project... (I should point out that, for me, this would be coupled with a gearing change)

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I didnt do a gear swap, The only thing I had to worry about is backlash... As long as it's within spec your good to go. The installation is pretty simple, Anyone with a little bit of mechanical knowledge should be able to pull this off. Just do your homework.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i NEED this.
friggin 1 ton crewcab with 1 wheel drive is so USLESS on anything less than pavement. When i do a frame off I will be adding lockers both front and rear.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can put that in when you get it. Reasonable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance