injectors

jw674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how long to you get out of injectors.i have 221000 miles and i never changed the injectors in it

li'l tugger

Reaction score
i have 225k on mine.. the last 25k being with a ts chip. i havent noticed any problems yet, but i run snake oil every couple of tanks and have myself convinced that helps.:D my tranny is on the way out, so when it finally goes, i am going to put some mini-me hybrids in just to make sure i get my moneys worth out of the $4k tranny:rotflmao have you notice rough idling or anything to make you think the injectors are going? not real dure what the tell-tale signs are, but if one is shot i would think you would have a rough idle and a "miss" under load.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah at 221,000 you're probably leaving something on the table, the spray pattern may be shot and the pop pressure could even be a litle low.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went the first 407,000 on the original poppers in Big Russ(90 f250). Pulled them out and tested them and thought everything was good but replaced them anyways. I don't think this truck ran that good in at least 200kLOL. I thought it was running good befor hand but wow, was I surprised.

p.s. original i.p. and E40D

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how long to you get out of injectors.i have 221000 miles and i never changed the injectors in it

If I may add...if it's running good(like mine did) I would leave it alone.
Unless, you get the parts from someone you know and TRUST >which I didn't ;Really

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I may add...if it's running good(like mine did) I would leave it alone.
Unless, you get the parts from someone you know and TRUST >which I didn't ;Really

I agree 100%, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but if you are looking for something to do to maybe get a little more out of it without dumping any more cash than you need to, it might be worth looking into, IMOHO

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck has 293,000 now, and i doubt they have been replaced. i think When i have the extra money i will buy new ones. what is a reliable place for them? i was thinking it would be cool to get those stage 1 injectors from dps.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've waited that long to replace them, make sure you swap out your IP also. Replacing the injectors and IP at one shot, will make your truck feel like it has 30 to 40% more horsepower than before. Just get it timed right.

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
I heard that the DPS stage 1 injectors arent worth it. I cant wait to see/hear the results of the Moose injectors though. ;Sweet

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've waited that long to replace them, make sure you swap out your IP also. Replacing the injectors and IP at one shot, will make your truck feel like it has 30 to 40% more horsepower than before. Just get it timed right.

where can i get a new ip? how much do they run? it would be a while before i could get the money for all that, being that im 16. And i can't really say for sure if the ip is new or not, i got it when it had 292,000 on it :p no tellin whether my grandpa ever did. It was taken to a shop, where they did replace some type of pump, but they were kinda retarded and didn't fix it. so idk

I have a question, why is a new pump required for more fuel, when you can just turn the one on it up?

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
As injectors age, they dont require as much pressure to "pop", injecting fuel. As the pump ages, the internal clearances are not as precise. When you get new injectors with higher "pop" pressure, it puts an increased stress on the IP and will wear it down faster.

Thats why its a good idea to replace the injectors and IP together

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its true replacing them as a unit is the best bang for your buck BUT at 16 I couldn't have spent 700 for a brand new fuel system unless the parents wanted to help. You need to find out which pump the shop replaced since there's a low pressure lift pump and a high pressure IP we've been talking about. Also peek at your injectors if they still have that IH grey they are original and probably need replacement. If not you might still want to pull them and have them pop tested and see how they're doing. Make sure its a shop that will let you watch or known to you and your family to be of good integrity. Crapheads might try to rip you off since you're young and they think you don't know anything. If they're bad you can get a set of remans from ebay pretty cheap. Not a bad deal, and not a lot of complaints. The IPs are best handled by a competent local shop, for ease of warranty issues and more personal service/less downtime, that is unless you want a Moose or DPS unit, if you go that route, Mel has a much better reputation than DPS, but you really don't need a "hot" pump like that until you get a turbo and trust your headgaskets. Are you even sure anything is broke? If not save your pennies, these trucks are great but they will nickle and dime you to death. Take care of it and you'll have a great truck to last you through highschool and longer if you wish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online