Injector O-Rings

AZDIRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working on my first diesel.

Anyone know where I can get these O rings? We have Advance Auto here, and they were totally clueless. Will a standard cheapo O-ring work?

I have fuel puddling on top of 3 of my injectors.

Thanks

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Welcome to OB!

I would recommend that you replace all the o-rings, caps and return lines at the same time. We'll need some more information on your truck, before I can point you toward the proper kit for your truck.

Year, engine, turbo or NA, etc...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its just too much work to only "fix" the problem return lines. Buy the kit and do it once... Then you know its done for a long time. The kits only cost around $25.00 to $30.00 everywhere that most of us shop here. Midwest Fuel Injection is a good place to buy from and Diesel Care is a not so good place to buy from. Just read about them in the Hall of Shame above.....

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Stay clear of NAPA (At least the NAPA here!). I just got quoted $118 for a fuel return line kit (caps, o-rings, and lines).:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Midwest fuel injection would be a good choice, they would be nearby for you and good folks. Here's their online store and here's what one of the install kits looks like Your year/ model might take a slightly different one, but do get the kit, don't try to fool with just replacing the orings. as soon as you disturb the assembly, it will go to crap on you and will leak like a sieve the moment you put it back together if you try to re-use it. I'm relatively certain that there was nobody sober in the room the day that they came up with the fuel return setup for these things cookoo

zpd307

Reaction score
yes, i wanted to do the return line before the hunting trip so i stopped at napa. i had waited until the last minute. they told me 100.00, so they are still leaking. i did get a kit off of ebay for about 30.00. i have been too busy fixing the wifes' pos. that is the same kit i got. i think the copper washers came with.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Ken (K_Williams) found this on ebay, when you figure out shipping it may be cheaper then the Diesel Store kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I dunno if Angelo has the copper washers, but you shouldn't need them anyways, unless you're swapping injectors or you got a few like mine that like loosening by themselves.

I just found that myself... Gonna order them tomorrow hopefully. I need to get my paycheck deposited first.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Working on my first diesel.

Anyone know where I can get these O rings? We have Advance Auto here, and they were totally clueless. Will a standard cheapo O-ring work?

I have fuel puddling on top of 3 of my injectors.

Thanks
\
To answer this one briefly, NO

Standard plumbing O rings will soften, swell, and LEAK in about an hours' use.

AZDIRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the awesome responses :thumbsup: Huge help.

I didn't think it would be wise to use the cheapo O rings either.

I'll definitly buy one of the kits since I already have a leaky return line as well.

I've been lurking here since Christmas when I bought the truck, just now getting to work on it. It is a 1985 F350 Crew Cab 4x4, NA. C6 trans, 4.11 gears, 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. I also have a plow and 6" lift that came with, I'd like to put both on eventually.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard plumbing O rings will soften, swell, and LEAK in about an hours' use.

Well, if the o-ring is sandwiched between two solid surfaces (injector and return cap), and when it swells it gets fatter, this will only result in the o-ring fitting even tighter in there - how's that gonna make it leak?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online