Injector Lines

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
What are the injector lines from the IP to the injectors made of? Are they stainless or hardened steel? I stripped and polished a set today :thumbsup: . Plan on leaving them that way since I don't have a corrosion problem in NM.

Tom

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess they're hardened steel...every bare spot on mine (painted yellow, but I must have prepped badly since the paint's flaking off) is rusty.

If you got them all nice and polished up, you could clear-coat them to keep them protected from rust...and GET PICS :D

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
The Warden said:
I would guess they're hardened steel...every bare spot on mine (painted yellow, but I must have prepped badly since the paint's flaking off) is rusty.

If you got them all nice and polished up, you could clear-coat them to keep them protected from rust...and GET PICS :D

I was considering clear coating them. I have the before pics. Waiting for the heads to get back from the machine shop and reassembly for the after pics. Then I'll figure out how to post them. ;Sweet

Tom

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
hmmm,Does anyone know where to find uncoated/painted injector lines?Evil minds want to know.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I wonder if you could have them chromed, or make a set out of stainless steel. Would that be too soft?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting them chromed would probably screw up anybody who tried to time your truck with the pulse method.

sassyrel

Reaction score
DO NOT CHROME THEM!!!!!! the injector lines are of a somewhat harder steel than mild--and if you try and chrome them--theres a thing called hydrogen imbrittlement--has to do with the chroming process--it amounts to having whatever your chroming getting fracutre lines in it--not good for a injection line--where pressure is constantly hammering on it------

82fordtruck

Reaction score
huh, I've never heard of that. What about aluminizing or using stainless to make it?

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
reklund said:
Tom-

who's doing your machine work?

Automotive Machine Service down on 2nd Street...about a block up from the main Napa store. Evidently they are the place to go for diesel work. I know they're busy, they've had my heads for 2 weeks.

I also considered a couple of options for the injector lines. I thought about chrome for about 10 seconds, but realized the timing issue and hydrogen imbrittlement as others have mentioned would be show stoppers. I've also considered polished stainless and may pursue that route with my next project. I'm also in the planning stages of some "custom" return lines. For the time being I think I'll clearcoat the steel lines I polished. No corrosion here in the land of sunshine and brush fires. :D

Tom

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No rust at all? I'm surprised...my truck spent much of its life in the desert, and even still has a light rust coating on various bare-metal parts. Nothing like what the Northeastern members see, but not 100% rust-free either...

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
well,you could spend $120 with Eastwood and buy the home powder coat system thingy.They have powder coat in anything from Clear/Clear,Clear/Blue(Fake anodize) to Clear purple,to Black to crinkle finish.Just hook the ground wire to the bare metal part,Spray,carefully put in a standard household oven(one that won't be used to dinner ever again) and bake.I want to buy it(Might buy it this weekend if I get a wild hair up my exhaust pipe) so I can have a little fun on both the trucks and race cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle