injector copper washer stuck in bore

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Murphy is at it again.... What I thought would be a simple injector swap has stalled for 2 days. I am stuck and do not know where to go next. The copper washer stayed in the bore on 6 cylinders including the rear cylinders, hard to see and get down in there. I put solution in each cylinder to soak over night, tried to use a pic, rat tail file to no avail. They are smashed down real good. I was wondering if I could just put a new washer over top of the old one would it seal, also the injector tip would be raised in the cylinder what difference would that make with the spray? I thought about a spot weld drill bit, but afraid the copper so soft it would just chew through to the metal then I could never seal the cylinder, or worse the shavings go into the cylinder. Has this happen to anyone else?

Jjona5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never had that problem but could you get a metal bolt of this type
You must be registered for see images attach
and screw it into the washer and then either pull it up with pliers or use a pair of slide vice grips?

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened to me take one of the copper washers off of your other injector and try to find a bolt that will thread into it 6 inch bolt will work and try to screw it into the copper washer that is stuck in the bore I also soaked mine for a few days to loosen it

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did do that the bolt was 7/16 size when I got back to the truck the washers stuck were a little larger diameter the size of the hole in the bore. I am wondering if I can put a new one on top of the old ones?

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Humm I have always heard to to do that I was afraid to do it when mine was stuck. So it's so tight it won't spin it lose?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Large flat blade screw driver works, had that happen to me, just shoved it down there, twisted and the washer came right out.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you tried an easy-out?
it should grip the copper just enough to bust it loose.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Don't use an easy out. Use a flat blade screw driver because if the easy out bites into the cast iron cylinder head you will never get it out. Besides the easy out is too short. a light tap on the screw driver will drive it into the hole of the copper. then twist it and it comes out stuck on the end of the driver. Sounds like someone used way too much torque installing the injectors last time. Correct torque is 35 lbs. No way will another washer on top of the stuck washer work very well. Remember you have probably damaged the washer so its going to leak. Also pulling the injector that much out of the bore ruins the spray in the precups. Yes it can be done but its not the right thing to do but it will get you home idea just the same.. Some ass hat member way back in 09 had a stuck washer and I did all I could to help him. He ended up with a broken file end in the hole after I told him not to try that ides. He asked for my seat reamer to "clean out some of the other seats"....:mad::mad::mad: WEll he ended up ruining my seat reamer trying to grind out the file end with my reamer. What a fool. But that was not the worst he did. He tried drilling out around the stuck file to loosen the grip on it. Well that ruined the head for sure. All this happened over several months and my continued asking for my tool back got no response but finally I got it back even though it was damaged. That member is no longer with us either. I'm hoping he is walking and not driving any car or truck too.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad I did t have this issue, an easy out is what I woulda used.
I have a 6" extension for easy outs and taps. One of my favorite tools BTW.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DON"T stack washers....just don't do it...unless it's a gotta get ya home emergency and no other option like waiting exists...life over limb deal though.

Aside from that, I'd say make sure you use a NEW or freshly dressed flat blade screwdriver. Test it with a washer on one off one of the injectors you pulled already. Screw driver should have nice fresh ground edges not too steep an angle and be able to BITE into that copper...twist and remove as needed.

The biggest issue...it's cold outside, your working outside on an engine in a truck and access is not all that easy.

Good luck and do report back for a conclusion to this issue for us.

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys thanks for all the advice, I will get off work on Thursday early enough to have daylight and try my luck. You guys are great and full of knowledge.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I super hesitant to offer this because each individuals experience and capability with finite level of tool feel is different. What one can do others may have a hard to grasping that it can be done.....

So, with a fresh slotted screwdriver perhaps...two creases tapped into the copper washer 180 degree apart if carefully done could potentially split washer in two C shaped pieces...may take some work..and a level of skill you may or may not have, as you don't want to pound a cut/groove into injector seat either...it's all about the FEEL

In my experience I always try easiest to hardest, least potential for damage to higher degree, cleanest to dirtiest etc...

So simple stuff first, then progress if it don't work...but caveat is I"M not responsible for your choices and if you damage yer head, that's by yer hand and choice.

Could I do what I'm saying...hell ya I could quite easily too...but then I've got a seat reamer kit on the shelf...JIC

Just saying...DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO GET THE JOB DONE....but do not surpass yer skill/comfort level! Call in help if need be.

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copper Washer

I was comparing the new washer to one of the old ones, and I noticed the new one has a slightly smaller circumference, and it is slightly curved. I am assuming the curved side goes down toward the bore, but I think once tightened it is going to be flat no matter what because the old one is flat. Probably don't matter. But I am contemplating my first move on removing the washers. I did find out there is a special tool specially designed to remove them. If this tool is used you need the center opening to be un molested to grab it correctly. But it has to be ordered, about $75.00 I have purchased a new screwdriver $6.00 and I think it will do the job. If I could purchase this tool locally I would buy one and add it to my collection. So far no one around here has one on hand. After looking at the pic of the washers I can tell the used one is larger simply because it was tightened and it stretched, well maybe.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online