injection pump not pumping

idijack

Reaction score
anybody figure out why my good running injection pump quit pumping while I was changing the engine.it is getting fuel to the pump and the solenoid is working. it is a 90 engine put in a 89.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
They can be tough to prime in some cases. Have you tried to loosen a few lines until fuel starts coming out? When priming you want the throttle wide open to maximize fuel flow. If its a manual trans, you can pull start it to save wear and tear on the starter. There are probably more questions than answers at this point. Are we sure the timing is right? New filter, if so was it filled with fuel or ATF to help priming? Also you need fully charged batteries and a healthy starter. 5 minutes cool down for every 30 seconds of cranking. I hope you have a place to start from the few pointers that are outlined. Good luck, keep us posted.

idijack

Reaction score
the lines r loose foot feed wide open, getting fuel from tank,timing not moved, no fuel getting pumped by injector pump. the front of the pump is turning.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you plug her in a full 2/3 hours so she it HOT and yes hold it wide open with all the injectors cracked open.
While cranking check for wet injectors, All 8 are wet then tighten them all up and continue cranking with the throttle wide open.
When she fires you can release the throttle as the rpm comes up.

good luck.

Javier

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the lines r loose foot feed wide open, getting fuel from tank,timing not moved, no fuel getting pumped by injector pump. the front of the pump is turning.

Take the return line off of the top of the pump and see if you have fuel coming out there.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the return line off top of pump and make sure you're getting fuel out. If there's clean fuel there, loosen the nut on one of the injection lines at the rear of the pump and check for fuel there while cranking.

Make sure the main solenoid (wide terminal) is working. There's 2 solenoids, one for cold advance and one for fuel. I presume you can hear it clicking when you apply power?

My guess would be that you've either got a return line problem or it sucked a big gulp of air and now you've got to pump it out. It does take forever to get it primed sometimes.

If you're getting clean fuel out and stick no sign of fuel at the injection outlet fittings on the back of the pump after cranking for a while (3-5 min total after getting fuel at the return line) then I'd suspect a pump problem. Could be any number of internal pump problems, though it's pretty rare.

What exactly did you do since the last time it ran?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These last two posts really have the right idea. Mel taught me the trick of seeing fuel out the top of the pump plus.. He showed me leaving the hard lines tight, then crank. Stop and crack open the lines at the injecters. Listen for the hiss of escaping air from pressurizing in the hard lines. Tighten again and crank more. Do this till several lines show fuel. then the engine will fire off. These engines need 3 or 4 cylinders primed ready to go before the engine will fire and run. It will run ruff till the other cylinders are purged but it will smooth out quickly. Probably tomorrow I will be removing a pump and installing another. Sure hope its a cool day here tomorrow.

idijack

Reaction score
I was getting fuel out of the return line. I changed the top to see if the selinoid was working. both ones click. All I did was pull the running motor out of one truck and put it in the other truck. I have the lines completely undone on some of the injectors so I will put them back on. I will un do one at the pump. It was the best running one of these ive had.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck sort of left me stranded today, left my truck at a buddies place so I could go out to eat, when I got back she wouldn't start, checked the block heater she was luke warm, Ok plugged it in to a working receptical, sure enough no start.

So I pull the wire in the injection pump and a very weak click, Another pump solenoid went south on me, Had to ride a three wheeled bike home 4 miles at 3am, still awake! and on top of that I have this to deal with tomorrow>>>
Tomorrow, the Homestead City Council is going to consider a major anti-gun resolution. CAR #944, requested by Councilman Judy Waldman entitled “Support Efforts to Reduce Gun Violence and Illegal Firearms Trafficking,” is supposed to help reduce the Homestead’s gun-related violence and illegal firearms trafficking.

SMH!

Javier

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Another failed solenoid.. Where are you getting these solenoids or what are you doing that might cause them to fail. Mel told me once these solenoids can be cracked and still work fine.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doubtful. Wd40 or starting fluid woln't do much of anything unless there's fuel being injected. If you do, make sure and disable the glow plugs.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to prefill the ip?...would i be able to pour howes through the return hole or pour fuel down the supply line before tightening it to the filter housing?