Injection pump ID ?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this pump for sale. He bought it a "few years ago" but got rid of the truck before installing it.
He can't remember where he got it. I'm assuming it's a crappy reman. from an auto parts chain.
But I'm wondering if there's any way to tell if it's OEM new? It has a pristine Stanadyne serial # plate on it.
Or if it was rebuilt by one of the reputable rebuilders, do they "sign" their work anywhere that I could look for?

Attachments

• FACD8956-1E99-4894-8C35-58C0F267B86C.jpeg
    FACD8956-1E99-4894-8C35-58C0F267B86C.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 10

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve read that the red tag is remanufactured by authorized shop. I think the 277R may indicate rebuilt.

Send one of the pump guys on here that picture, I’m sure they could help.

Found this in an old 2011 post

DB2-5013 - 1992-1994 manual tranny
DB2-5028 - 1992 -1994 auto tranny
DB2-5069 - 1993 -1994 turbo auto tranny
DB2-5070 - 1993 - 1994 turbo manual tranny

All of these injection pumps should have the external fuel adjustment screw.

Last edited:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I found this pump for sale. He bought it a "few years ago" but got rid of the truck before installing it.
He can't remember where he got it. I'm assuming it's a crappy reman. from an auto parts chain.
But I'm wondering if there's any way to tell if it's OEM new? It has a pristine Stanadyne serial # plate on it.
Or if it was rebuilt by one of the reputable rebuilders, do they "sign" their work anywhere that I could look for?
If he only wants $200-300 buy it, if it does not work it will likely be a good core. Some of the rebuilders recommened on this site charge $300-500 for a core price. If the IP you send in is trash and not rebuildable you have to pay the core charge.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still wondering what's up with reman. pumps.
Obviously, we trust the 4 rebuilders recommended here to do it right. And I bought injectors from one of them and those solved a bunch of my issues.
It seems I'll be due for a pump in the near future.
The tag on the pump that I posted above confirms that it was done by a certified rebuilder. And I can get it for $500 (or might could talk him down a bit).
But I'm still nervous that it could be one of the junk ones warned about by the long-time members here.

So I went poking around online to see if I could pick out the junk ones from good ones.
I found this one for $450 that says, "...completely rebuilt, using all OEM original parts… 100% quality by factory trained technicians." And they have a good looking tag. And they offer a "premium" version that has had the Pump Sleeve relined. For $550.

So...now I'm skeptical about the local one for sale because, even though the tag suggests that it's a good one, I don't know where it was rebuilt or if the sleeve was relined. So I'm tempted to buy one from Dale's with the new sleeve for $550.
But then I have that nagging voice that says to spend the extra $ on one from the OilBurners 4.

What's the real difference in these rebuilds?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did check the Hall of Shame.
Dale's isn't listed (although they have some bad comments on Yelp) and the other is a local private sale of a pump he bought "a few years ago" but sold the truck before installing.
Most other sellers don't mention a resleeve. That's what caught my attention and has me leaning towards buying that one from Dave's. And I'm sure Dale's doesn't rebuild the pumps. And their complaints are about customer service.

So what's the difference between a proper rebuild and a crappy one?
Do rebuilt pumps by "factory trained technicians", with new Stanadyne tags on the pump, and a claimed resleeve, still end up crappy?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller