Info On Water Injection

rmckee242

Reaction score
Anybody using or experimenting with water injection on their diesel? Been doing some reading and thinking about trying it on my 86 Mercedes SDL. Would like to talk to somebody using it before I start experimenting.

rmckee242

Reaction score
Tech Info

Will be nice to hear from somebody using it. I'm intersted in the tech stuff too. Like what size and flow nozzle, what kind if pump or is it vacuum operated, and if pumped thru the nozzzles are you switching on manually or using a tach or vacuum sensor.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my set-up.

http://www.1stgen.org/viewtopic.php?t=2700

It's a tad unorthodox. ;p
folks....
we have the son of Argve here. Only difference he's got brains on his water injection system. Just for those who didn't know, Argve/Travis(goatboy, goatdiddler), used to own a Ford CC dually and he beat it into the ground with no mercy or quarter. It's now rusting away in a Kudzu field, but before it's untimely demise, Travis was "experimenting" with water injection. I don't know what the GPH or nozzle size he was running, but he did report cleaning out the inventory of windshield washer fluid at a local gas station. Shortly, after he got home, he did report motor problems. After a teardown, the cylinders showed some very unusual damage. Both the pistons and heads were severely pitted but only from the precup area and fanning out. Water was definitely part of the problem. There's a thread buried somewhere in this site about this adventure, it will take some time for me to dig it up but it's a very entertaining(as long as you're not Travis) read.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're saying that I'm going to a splode somethin'? :backoff
not quite. but too much of something can never be good.
there was a definite case of cylinder erosion from the water.
his system was much simpler too. tank, pump, tubing, elec solenoid, firehose nozzle.
if he wasn't busy moving house this weekend, he'd be here telling all about that adventure of water injection:eek:
oh yea, he's been beating to death his gen2 goat and has yet to kill it.;Sweet

sassyrel

Reaction score
the reason he destroyed it--was because he was putting out TWICE as much water as the guy in colorado designed it for---otherwise hed been ok---your right about that part towcat, too much of a good thing can, and in this case, is bad----