in the mud or not????

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I know after driving thru the truck scale my reg cab, long bed, 7.3 isnt exactly a light weight... tips the scale at 6300lb. So how many of you hit the mud and run your 4x4 thru the paces off road. Seems these IDIs are a bit too heavy for 1X mudd'n. Are they more sutable for the casual off road and hunting trips???

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran my 1993 std cab long box through carnage canyon outside of boulder, CO - It is not a user friendly trail, and it is really not a fullsize friendly trail. I took it up there to recover a broken buddy, and the thing did amazing - I've been driving fullsize's off road for years, its definitely a different driving style than a jeep or something with no weight - but when you get the hang of it, they can do some serious trails. Can't comment on the mud... never been much of one for boggin.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
depends on the type of mud. bottomless mud will swallow your front end a lot quicker than a lighter vehicle. though the only truck off roading i do is on jobsites.

the IDI works great for pulling others out from being stuck though if you're on solid ground

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 93 did awesome offroad. more than once I have been in 4hi 5 gear with my foot on the floor slingin mud. The bad thing is if you do get it stuck you better have an army to get you out. Eventually you will learn what you can go through. I would also recommend that you stay away from water. Diesels hate water even more than gassers do.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I have run both my IDI's and the PSD in some real chitty mudd/clay mixes while dragging trailers up and down hills to jobsites....quite a few hub deep too!

You say yours weighs 6300 :confused: when I go across the scales at the truck pulls I'm right at 7980....and that's not counting one of a few trailers that were loaded with curved stairs or the welding trailer.

You can do alot with these beasts :hail but like everything else in life....a man has got know his limits :D

and like Rob said.....
bottomless mud will swallow your front end a lot quicker than a lighter vehicle.

there is 1100+ lbs hanging over that front end;p

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never been in mine, I have a buddy who had a 87 with 36" powerkings and sunk down to the axles and didnt even spin them over good before he hit botom. He was following another F250 with 35" groundhoggs that had no problem but his was a gasser. I have never had much of a problem sinking in my 81 yota but it does weigh half what our IDIs weigh.:dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
When I went elk hunting in my truck this past fall, I took it on some real nasty logging roads. These roads hadnt been used in a while, and it was raining/snowing and they were real muddy. I think the mud was a good 8" deep, but the bottom was hard pack so I didnt really run the risk of sinking to the fram. It did good, I just put it in 4 high and gunned her through it.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well its not like I'm going to a mud bog, but there are some serious ruts for those around here in them little toys to play in. Justin knows what kind of mud is around here. I have been wheelin in my 75 Scout and do all right. I alway stayed away from deep runs with my springs that go UNDER the axle. my 350 has springs mounted on the top like should be, but I'm still not out for muddin. Mostly logging roads around here. So I wouldn't say I will be full-on off roading. Oh and about getting stuck, yea thats my worst nightmare. Ive got a newly painted Warn bumper going on this weekend, and will be looking for a serious winch. Something in the 10k range, also thinking of a hitch mounted 8k for the rear. Ive pulled out many a rigs/tractors with a 2k and winch, but I dont think that will work on my new hog...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, the mud around here isnt all that bad. Down on the valley floor it can get down right muddy, they have mud bogs up north of me in the valley every year, I should have gone to it last year, I'm trying to make it to the next one to watch. But when you get in the hills/mountains, then its just mud covering hard pack dirt, and it doesnt seem like there's all that much clay around, though I might be wrong.

Its Jim right? Anyways, where abouts do you live, I think I remember hearing about hood river or something up north like that?

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup its jim... and im north in Gaston, north of McMinville, west of Hillsboro, wouldnt mind hunting with u next year. :)

FordGuy100

Reaction score
yup its jim... and im north in Gaston, north of McMinville, west of Hillsboro, wouldnt mind hunting with u next year. :)

Oh, Ok cool, that pretty dang close ;Sweet.

And hell yes man, you wanna come hunting that all good with me, we'll see what happens as the year progresses. We are now hunting up by where I live now, if you google map it, it'll be about 20 miles east of Silverton, Or. It serisously goes from 1500' at my house to 4500' about 5 miles due east. We call it the Basin, they have some real nice Roosevelt elk up there (fricking huge things, make the elk in eastern oregon look like deer ;Sweet)

Reaction score
I know a couple of guys that wheel f250 diesels. Oddly enough they even still run TTB. If you want to try it out and not have to worry about getting stuck or breaking down without help, join us. We will be having our big anual run on March 1st @ TSF. There will be at least 3 groups fluff, moderate and hardcore. I will be in my Jeep, but I might pull it there with my truck. :thumbsup:

Here are some pics of Jeremy's truck

Here is Chris's.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun Dean... Ummm whats a TTT and also where is the TSF... tillamook state forest??? Guess Ill need to get these streets off and get some new knobs... let me check calendar and see whats going on that weekend, I know I have some vacation coverage Overtime comming up. So that might crash my joining you.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TTB is the Twin Traction Beam front axle on these trucks, fords version of an independant 4X4. They are a pain to repuild and alot of guys switch to dana 60s I think. I still have the TTB, don't know which one is better for what since I've only had this one.

-Rob