in the mud or not????

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The TTB is good for wearing out tires, the D60 is good for everything else! :) My truck handles like a new truck after the swap, but the independant workings would prolly be better for rock crawling and such.

My truck weighs 7300 lbs and pretty much doesn't care for mud. The real problem I have is the rear being a single track and one set of tires always spinning, while the other sits still. I am going to install a locker or something this summer as I need the 4X4 for some chores, but it just simply doesn't cut it in soft terrain. And as was said, when you get one stuck, you are stuck! They are heavy and hard to get moving once they stop. I would think in mudd, a tire with some width would be much better, and that I don't have, but I do have some aggressive tread and have no problem emptying out a pretty decent mudd hole when I find myself in one! ;Sweet

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I will tell you from experiance these trucks are beasts in the mud my buddy had a duly flatbed 4x4 no lift, stock size tires and we put that thing in holes that my cousins 4x4 toyata with 35's and 2 in of lift had trouble coming out of. He had lockers front and back though. The main key to these trucks being in the mud is knowing how to drive them, they aren't anything like a smaller vehicle. The only big thing you want to avoid is really boggy type ground that you would sink in because once you lay frame or axles you can almost call it quits. i too can vouch for the 'if your stuck your STUCK' saying that you have heard here. That same truck went to the mouth of the brazos and was outdoing stock half ton 4x4's until my friend got a big head and decided to run into the high tide marks of the river. We had to get 2 off road recovery trucks out there to winch on him and they had a hard time getting him out combined.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had my 89 f250 7.3/5-speed in the mud, deep mud and it does really well, better then i expected. i went into this one hole and was up to the bumpers in mud, its stock with 265/75r16s and the hole has a hillclimb coming out of it at an angle. well i got the frt end over it and it pulled itself out of there better then anything ive drove in there before. i believe the weight of the diesel and the TTB (yes i said TTB) got me out of that hole. i think the TTB is a great frt end off-road and its confortable on-road, oh yea i live in WV so we have good mud and bad mud, you dont know which till in in there

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TTB is a great design in its stock form if its in good condition. When you start messing with it is when you start having problems. I put a 4" lift on mine and had problems out of it ever since.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of problems fx4wannabe? i have a 92 f350 with a d50 TTB (85 f350 frame and frt axle) it has a 2" add-a-leaf and 3" body lift and 37"s and im prob going to go with about 6" or 8" more lift(or what ever it takes to get 46"s under it) just wondering what problems you have had? oh and i rebuilt everything in my frt end from rotor to rotor is new

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 6" lift on my TTB and haven't discovered any problems yet, I have yet to realy go mudding or make it realy articulate but 0 problems. Curious as to what problems you had?

-Rob

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I have gone through some nasty stuff with mine before. I try no to hit puddles since water+engine=not good!
With 4.10 gears & 31" mud radials & limited slip front & rear (when they work) it runs good. Most of the time just use 4hi & if it gets really bad drop it down to low range. With all the places I've been I haven't had to get pulled out once. Just watch what your driving in & try not to run bald street tires. Half is truck & the other half is driver.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup driver is important... I do need to get my streets off the truck, they came with the truck when I got it few months back... winch bumper installed and next is winch and tires...

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of lift kits for this style of suspension mismatch components - I.E., most manufacturers use the same center drop brackets for there 4", 6", and 8" kits. While they will bolt up, the taller lifts are often impossible to align right. This will cause excessive play in the steering, bumpsteer, and sometimes the death wobble... first time you drive through one of those is a blast. When you start beating it up offroad, most of the components are good up to a 37" tire if it is unlocked. Anything bigger than that snaps lots of ujoints, and the locker is that much more strain on everything in the front, especially steering. The last truck I left the TTB on was an 8"lift with 36"s and a locker... The parts of the center Ujoint shot about 60 feet straight up into the air on a hill climb in moab. I don't know what problems fx4 has had, but I'd imagine they are similar... my .02.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Last time i took my pig out it was really muddy. i took it slow so i didnt fling to much muck all over my truck...but there was this one spot...the mud was the consistancy of baby ****. man, i was in 2wd but i felt the truck just SINK. i locked the hubs and threw it in 4wd and got out but i could feel it spinning and sinking more. my friend with a 1996 F-150 4wd on 36" swampers just skated through, being a lot lighter.

that was the only real problem i had, most mud it'll pull right through. i LOVE putting it in 4-LO in first and tromping on it in the mud...its like getting shot from a cannon.

the biggest problem with these trucks is the fact they are so heavy. a good set of tires with ample ground cleanence and u should be OK, having a traction aid will help a lot. i want a limited slip for my front to compliment the rear.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Down here in SoCal we don't really get mud, but ive done some desert driving in my 85, and the TTB makes such a smooth ride compared to a lot of other trucks I've been in, But the trucks are so heavy in the sand they don't do so well, they will find the hard pack really quick if your not paying attention.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 92 f350 with a d50 TTB (85 f350 frame and frt axle) it has a 2" add-a-leaf and 3" body lift and 37"s and im prob going to go with about 6" or 8" more lift (or what ever it takes to get 46"s under it) just wondering what problems you have had? oh and i rebuilt everything in my frt end from rotor to rotor is new

yIn simplest form.....Running anything like a 46" tyre which likely weighs in around 220 plus with rim....will so kill the D50 ball joints and U joints and axles.

If you want to run that size of tyre you will need a D60 preferably a Kingpin model with decent axles (read aftermarket high strength + 35 spline outers) along with HD ujoints or you will grenade u joints and stub shafts in no time what so ever.

A D60 with aftermarket axles, stub shafts and good hubs and ujoints should survive. A D50 will just twist shafts like licorice whips AKA twizzlers...and U joints...well those tyres and a diesel will find the weakest link very very quickly, faster than you can say KABOOM!

JM2CW