In Tank--Pre Pump MOD

skeet298

Reaction score
Which kit is the most used or recomended here for the air-in-fuel line problem?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get it in and are pleased with the results, let us know how hard it was and what was involved doing the job.

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine last summer. Wasn't all that hard. Did it all by myself. Getting the tank down and up is the most difficult part. Make sure you have an empty or nearly empty tank. Getting the guage pickup assembly is also challenging to get out and in, more getting the retaining collar back on right without leaks. I used a spanner wrench to do mine. Seems to run quieter when the tank is less then half full. I also made sure the pickup was positioned to get the most fuel out without any restrictions. I think mine was the ITP setup. Once you see what it is, it is $12 worth of parts if that including the filter. If you have a weekend and someone gives you some hints you can build it yourself. The kit makes it easier, no trips, no cut and fitting. You know it works and it has instructions.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a little off topic but I am putting a 2000 F550 back together after being wrecked, I was wondering if the fuel pump is in the tank or on the frame. Seems like when I am working on it I forget to look at the frame and only remember when I am home, thanks............ Jim

RenoF250

Reaction score
skeet298 said:
Which kit is the most used or recomended here for the air-in-fuel line problem?

I made mine out of pieces from the auto parts store and MSC. That works fine if you are doing more than one, 2 is about break even and they are almost free after that. We did mine by taking the bed off and my friends by dropping the tank, I would say dropping the tank was easier, either way is not that hard though. We did ine first and were debating if we should do my friend's until we put a clear filter before the pump, there was a ton of air so we got to it. Mine was pretty good before so I did not notice much difference but he was having knocking issues and I believe we fixed it. I personally do not buy into the leaking connector theory, I believe 99.99% of the air is coming through the duckbill valve in the tank that gets stretched to the open position and lets air go backwards. I just do not buy into the idea that air will suck in the connectors but diesel will not leak out. Diesel is second only to Marvel Mystery oil in its ability to creep into cracks.

skeet298

Reaction score
Well I have completed the job. My helper was a no show so I did it alone, not hard getting down but GOT-TOW-MAWTY, putting it back was tough. My tank was diff, had a bolt on lid to the pick-up assembly, can't do the vent tube trick because they are steel inthis F-450 tank plus I couldn't even reach them without a screw driver. I used 3/8 inch fuel line from the tank to my WIX filter-separator and on to within 12 inches of the pump where I put a piece of 5/16 line( use 3/8 double barb, sanded down the end going in the 5/16 for a great fit). Double hose clampped all conections. Filled filter with diesel and that baby fired right off. No leaks so far. After 80 miles on a (now) full tank of fuel the engine has gotten quiter, not huge diff but noticeble.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
What is the advantage of using an IN tank pump over an out of tank pump? I would think that having the tank mounted on the frame rail would be a better way to go incase of maintinence? Not trying to bash your mod at all just curious...

-Casey

RenoF250

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is moving their fuel pump into the tank, just fixing the pickup tube in the tank so it does not suck air. The pre-pump portion is replacing the hose just before the pump on the frame rail to get rid of the quick connect because many think it sucks air.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
RenoF250 said:
I don't think anyone is moving their fuel pump into the tank, just fixing the pickup tube in the tank so it does not suck air. The pre-pump portion is replacing the hose just before the pump on the frame rail to get rid of the quick connect because many think it sucks air.

Well that makes more sense there doesnt it...obviously i was not using all of my brain when i read that post last...lol... :idiot:

-Casey

skeet298

Reaction score
I think it was sucking all that cackle causing air because it sure has gotten quiter sence and runs ( noticeably) smoother.

JimmyDee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
skeet298 said:
I think it was sucking all that cackle causing air because it sure has gotten quiter sence and runs ( noticeably) smoother.
Same happened to mine when I did the "Hutch" mod and I feel it is necessary for any of the 7.3 PSD trucks. Not sure about the 6.0s. Someone said they fixed the problem on the newer models but not sure about that.
Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86