in need of some advice?

Reaction score
how can u tell if your glow pluges have fallen into the cylinder ? what kind of noise am i listing for? any help would be great. 1987 f250 4x4 6.9 diesel extacab . 4spd 144.000 miles runs like a champ. starts up in cold weather ?? just started making funny noise ? like a rattle. straight pipe, suopbowl removed?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
A diesel that runs and starts fine that just happens to get a little rattle or hammer is usually just a sticking injector slobbering. Run a stout dose of some cleaner through the tank and see if the noise changes.

----Robert

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
A diesel that runs and starts fine that just happens to get a little rattle or hammer is usually just a sticking injector slobbering. Run a stout dose of some cleaner through the tank and see if the noise changes.

----Robert

What he said! :)

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could also pull your glow plugs (carefully), and inspect them for swollen tips. I pulled all of mine when I bought my truck to make sure they were Beru's and to change the three that were shot. Pulling them out and making sure they are good will make you sleep better at night.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Having had the experience of breaking off a tip inside an engine and then starting it:eek: I'm pretty sure you will recognize the sound!
It's a lot like what you would imagine...If you can't, take a 1/2" nut in a coffee can and shake it as hard as you can! It really can't be confused with nailing or other diesel sounds.
And for the curious, yes we kept running the engine. It either made it out of the prechamber and past the exhaust valve, or imbedded it self into the top of the piston...I'm not sure which. It happened about five years ago on my DD. If I ever get around to replacing the head gaskets I'm interested to see what that cylinder looks like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk