In a pickle with a 6.0 swap

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a friend that has a 08 silverado 1500 with a 4l60e, this truck had a afm 5.3 that was poorly swaped to a 6.0. Well a new dipstick tube was never acquired for it and was driven randomly adding oil, in the end a good remain engine was destroyed. Had him find a 6.0 for same year but got one for a 03, so have been battling stuff being different along with frozen exhaust to get the old out. I got the engine in and was going through the spaghetti mess of a harness to find there is different cam crank sensor, I find its 58x/4x crank/cam old and 24x/1x crank cam new. The crank in the old is toast with 2 spun rod bearings and cam is unknow, cam is 1 bolt gear old and new is more. The pcm was not programed with the afm board hanging out in the grill and obdII dongle to fix somthing with the swap, there have been random missfire gremlins plaguing this swap. So its too the point of pulling this engine back out to try and change this 24x ring to the 58x ring, or to sort out the harness and pcm to use 24x/1x.

https://www.bp-automotive.com/product/drive-by-wire-vortec-4l60e-stand-alone-ls-swap-harness/
https://www.lingenfelter.com/PDFdownloads/L460065397.pdf

In searching around not finding really anything on going from a gen IV to gen III engine. Do see can get a DBW harness for this engine but is for the older body and not the one Im dealing with, do also see a e40 pcm is ment for this combo. Has anyone here messed with any this and have any bones they can throw my way?

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well getting the first 6.0 to work would not had been plausible because the body would not be happy, they changed to can bus for gen IV. So had him try again to get a 6.0 closer to his year without the self destrution lifters, this one ended up being a LY6 that cam with variable cam timing. So needed to sort out a plug for the new sensor but did not get a harness with the new engine, old one was a soup mess so went to find one that is a close match. I was not finding one for close to same year 6.0 with 4l60e/4/70e, so it was a little newer 4.8 L20 with most plugs looking the same. Plug and play did not occur with this harness, could had just through more into the soup mess and called it a day. No I had to be a hard headed fool that wanted a clean install, this ended up being a massive rabit hole to fall into.

You must be registered for see images attach

The only plug not being the same was the one for the body and though nothing of just swaping it out, no this evil plug is the iceing on cake. The trans, oil pressure and maf had to get plug swaped but was just a repining. This other plug is not leaving well enough alone, they moved the evap plug here over jumping off the end of the trans. That is not all, they moved the shift sensor from outside the trans to inside alond with going to a rudimentary temp control for the 4l60e.

This is the aftermath of the old harness, it dose daunting in this state. Fear not this not my first rodeo, but was not looking to see another.

When dealing with this big a mess some order is needed, there is too many the same wire and can get lost easy.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
wow, that is impressivly messy! To bad you could not get a stand alone controller.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow Yeah that is a **** show for wiring id look for a donor harness at the local junk yard and needed parts I think you wpuldbe money ahead and time too

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow Yeah that is a **** show for wiring id look for a donor harness at the local junk yard and needed parts I think you wpuldbe money ahead and time too

Best option is not staring with a truck that came with afm/dod, no things need to be more "green" says the big man. With this stuff polluting the market, you cant just buy the first newish shiny one. Since that is not what happened, got stuck with replacing a engine from a bad swap to deal from a freind. Could had gone back to the 5.3 with afm but since this person dose not change oil when should, that engine is not going to last till the end of the year like past hemis with the same stuff. I cant get him to get rid of truck so have to deal what is on table, so need to make a replacement 6.0 work but ended up with variable cam as well. To have a plug and play harness would need one from a 1500 with a 4l60e or 4l70e, for a 4l80 would be rewiring that end to work. I spent the past month looking but all that was found seeming close was off a 4.8, in turn could not get away from doing wiring. Will put liquid tape on what has been done along with it coverings when I know it all works, at least all the handy work is in one handy location.

http://www.engineprofessional.com/TB/TB051716-2.pdf

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your a lot braver than I am every time I have done wiring harness re builds it bites me in the butt big time even with the right tools I always end up 3 months later searching for some broken wire or loose connection of course the roads in Montana are like mine feilds and vibrate and beat anything not secured

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
of course the roads in Montana are like mine feilds and vibrate and beat anything not secured

Do you all still have areas without blacktop like farm land near dear lodge was in the 90s? If so I know what your getting at with the roads being mine fields.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It won't be "best for performance" but pretty sure you can just lockout the cam.

That could be done but there is 1 and 3 bolt cams, so would need the right gear and would leave this person with a lesser cam. Pulling the cam means pulling the heads to get the lifters out, so there is all that to consider. This is a running engine so would rather not dig into it to make it work like what was done to the orgianal. So am being given a choice of what is the lesser of two evils and when with wiring.