im done with automatic!!

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
hmmm.
how old is the radiator in this truck? original? have you unhooked the cooler lines to the trans cooler part of the rad to make sure it isn't plugged up?
does it happen to have an external cooler,and do you have a trans temp gauge by any chance?

oooooooh.
did you by chance think to remove and replace an external cooler,and flush the lines,including the radiators cooler to get any metal out?
it would have been a great time to install an external filter once you noticed the metal in the original trans too.you didn't add one by any chance at the time?

the cooler was flushed! and not to be a smart ass but if you would have read the other posts you would have seen i only had enough money to have the front pump seals and bushing redone not enough to have a external filter and what not added! since your so fond of the e4od lol ill gladly sell you both the one in my truck and the blown one :)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah sorry.i try to read a lot of post.but i miss most of them.just trying to help see if we can see something that would help ya out so you wouldn't need to buy a new trans right now is all.
im gunna search and find your other posts and learn some more history on the first failure.maybe there's something to be found that would indicate a salvageable trans for ya now.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
i thank you for the help but im pretty sure im done with the e4od it was ok while it lasted but i want manual trans i like being able to shift when i want and to hold gears! im goin to look at a parts truck tomorrow that if i get it i will have every thing i need excluding the clutch pedals and master cylinder plus a spare engine,transfer-case and other parts. but im yet to find out from anybody if theres a link where some one has pictures and what not of the swap

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah ok.i was just gunna ask ya a couple more questions;
1.did you resolve this issue:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48399
and
2.does the trans currently work fine when cold,but only acts up/starts to slip when hot,or is now past this point,and it slips all the time now?

but,hey.i guess the good side of the coin now is,that you finally get to put what you want in there.
lots of folks have made this swap and im sure will help ya right out.
i wish ya better luck with your next trans Benton!;Sweet

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
ah ok.i was just gunna ask ya a couple more questions;
1.did you resolve this issue:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48399
and
2.does the trans currently work fine when cold,but only acts up/starts to slip when hot,or is now past this point,and it slips all the time now?

but,hey.i guess the good side of the coin now is,that you finally get to put what you want in there.
lots of folks have made this swap and im sure will help ya right out.
i wish ya better luck with your next trans Benton!;Sweet

thanks bud! and yea i tossed that thing in the trash it was melted. and when its cold it dont slip it just shifts hard it slips when its warmed up

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i told him rebuilt e4od with external cooler plumbed in line with stock cooler beefed up tc and proformance valvebody or put a c6 in it
ill be heading his way to meet up sometime soon so wen i do ill kick his rear and get him movitated to swap or fix but the e4 is a pos i wouldnt be caught with one in a truck im driving also the c6 is bulletproof as far as autos ive been running 3 qts low a few times and didnt even notice i overheated it more than a few times but it was that or go back and that wasnt an option

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Nearly 400k on mine to.

I baby mine and spend lots on good fluids and it treats me well. But I understand how you feel about having the reliablility of the zF.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys really getting 400k out of a E4OD? I never seen one go past 100k:dunno

as long as there treated well they can get some mileage. the e4od in my f150 has 198xxx miles on it right now, and i still tow with it.

op if you were closer id come pick up them e4ods, and hopefully with computer and wiring. i found a zf transmission wiring harness for the 92 up trucks, if you need it let me know.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Actually,

The E-1 has the original E4OD in it.... at 250k+ and I know that OldMisterBill has worn out engines before E4OD's. The key to bothe of them are change the fluid and keep it cool...... Just like anything else... maintenance is key.....

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
thanks bud! and yea i tossed that thing in the trash it was melted. and when its cold it dont slip it just shifts hard it slips when its warmed up

If the tranny is still slipping when hot. Either the pump is bad, or there is internal leakage.

Your tranny guy should have gone a little deeper. Give a chain store rebuild. Seals and frictions where needed. Probably about $150 clams for the band aid.:D

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
i told him rebuilt e4od with external cooler plumbed in line with stock cooler beefed up tc and proformance valvebody or put a c6 in it
ill be heading his way to meet up sometime soon so wen i do ill kick his rear and get him movitated to swap or fix but the e4 is a pos i wouldnt be caught with one in a truck im driving also the c6 is bulletproof as far as autos ive been running 3 qts low a few times and didnt even notice i overheated it more than a few times but it was that or go back and that wasnt an option

Tom do you ever listen to anything i tell you?:dunno you know why i didnt do any of those things!!! I COULD NOT AFFORD IT AT THE TIME!!! and the trans shifted fine when i 1st got it in then i started really driving it and it started to slip here and there and it just got worse now some times its slips and some times it dont! it was a used trans i took a chance by getting a used trans! now i found a truck that is a idi 5speed 4x4 for a decent amount for part and i want to swap in a 5speed how many times do i have to repeat it! why is that every one has to tell me every thing but what i need to know! ive already did the cooler on the trans and i did the lines and every thing else im not going to fix the e4od im goin to run it till i can get around to doing the swap or till it blows sorry for going off but im sick of hearing did you do this and why didnt you just have it rebuilt and add this. some one please just point me in the right direction to a thread with pics and info on what all i need to do to swap a zf5 in to my truck!

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
sorry for going off like that! thank you all for taking your time to give me your input

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online