Ignition switch -> intermitten gages

MJlogan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since i've owned my truck the ignition switch hasnt really had any indexing. To get my gages, turn signals, and wipers to work i've always had to turn the switch back slowly until they come on. Finally, after 3 years, I cant get anything to turn on no matter how much i play with the switch.

Time to fix the problem. What part am I looking to order? Is there a whole ignition switch with the key and everything I should get, or is there some sort of internal part that just needs replacing?

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
I can't say for sure, but it sounds like you need a new ignition switch to me. I have had simular problems with my one truck, except mine acually has a dead spot. Than again mine does have old Ford sindrum.... that is the whole [farm truck keying] where you don't nessisarly need the key to run it.

By the way, I see in your sig that you run Flows on your 6.9. How do they make it sound like an oiler? I don't think I've ever heard them on one. Or do they make it sound like a gasser.... more than they do with factory pipe, and lets say a cherry bomb?

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
I'm sorry I ment to say sounds like you need the switch at the bottom of the colom that sences the key movement. Of course I'm not sure exacually if they are the same on a '97. See if there is a narrow rod running down the colom from the steering wheel. Then check the conections and take notice if the bolts holding the part on are tight. Loose bolt could cause bad contacts!

MJlogan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say for sure, but it sounds like you need a new ignition switch to me. I have had simular problems with my one truck, except mine acually has a dead spot. Than again mine does have old Ford sindrum.... that is the whole [farm truck keying] where you don't nessisarly need the key to run it.

By the way, I see in your sig that you run Flows on your 6.9. How do they make it sound like an oiler? I don't think I've ever heard them on one. Or do they make it sound like a gasser.... more than they do with factory pipe, and lets say a cherry bomb?

Appreciate the reply. I went to auto zone and got the cylinder with keys and the ignition switch for only $20. I figured with stuff that cheap I might as well replace everything.

I like how it sounds with the flowmaster. My truck has true duals running all the way back to a single "big block" 3 chamber flowmaster 2-in 1-out. You really dont notice it until you get on it. Cant really compare it to the stock pipe- mine was falling off when i got it. Sounds a little like a gasser- i've had people think its a 460 with a rod knockLOL And at $10 from the junkyard the price cant be beat.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
just make sure the ignition key set works good. i bought an Azone one for mine a while back and it was a little stiff feeling. started getting hard to turn so i went to NAPA. when i came back out i bearly got it to turn and start one last time. not fun with your family in the car at 20 deg out. just a heads up, the NAPA one was about $50 but is far better quaility.

you should have the problem covered with the lower column switch like mentioned though.
good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online