Ignition switch help

firegod33

Reaction score
Thought I had a bad ignition lock cylinder, on my '86 F350. It has the 6.9 diesel. I replaced the ignition lock cylinder this morning and still have the same problem. They key will turn to the "on" position, then turns too far and will not engage the starter. I can still start the truck by crossing the posts on the solenoid, but that's the only way. I need this fixed asap. I was supposed to be going to Colorado Springs with it, today.

Help, please.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the ingnition box on the column might be out of adjustment. If you look under the dash, there is a box on top of the column with wires running to it. When you turn the key, a rod is moved that changes the position of the contacts within the box. Ive had mine come loose and do the same thing, it seems to be common on these trucks when equipped with tilt column.

There are two bolts that can be loosened and the box can be moved back and forth to adjust it. Try moving it towards the seat a little.

firegod33

Reaction score
Is this it? I loosened two nuts on the opposite side of this and can't move it, either direction.

You must be registered for see images attach

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Locate the "rod" atop of the steering column...and note (if) it moves with the turn of the key.
Mine did however > it didn't travel far enough because the ignition actuator in the column broke!

Also there's a slight amount of adjustment on that 'box' >two screws must be loosened before it will move up-down the column. It may only need to slide 1/16 or less! Losen the mounting screws and slide it up the column just a tad.
Think I dropped my two column bolts to lower the steering column to gain access better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online