If you were cracking her open, what would you do?

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have consistent bubbles in my rad, overflow issues, and a very very slow coolant loss.
There are no other signs of issues of any kind, but I think my headgasket is blown... barely.

I'm contemplating pulling the engine and doing head studs and rings. checking out everything real good while im in there. Maybe getting the heads worked.

What all would you do while you were in there? Good upgrades? Things to check?

Black dawg

Reaction score
I would pressurize cylinders so you know where to look. Then you can check that cylinder and cylinder head for cracks/cavitation.

If the leak is small it can be very difficult to pinpoint by looking at the gasket.

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had these same symptoms on my 6.9 that I stuffed in my 75 ford. Only reason I knew where to look is when I got the engine it had two head bolts missing, so it was always a concern for me that it might blow out right there. I even studded it before I put it in my truck, but I didn’t have the heads or the block checked out because I was on a thin budget and sure enough I got it hot one day and right in between those too studs it started seeping cylinder pressure into the cooling system. When I tore it down it had one little line of rust going down the cylinder wall, if it wasn’t for that small line of rust I would have never been sure what was leaking.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
How many miles are on your engine? If it's a lot, this would be a good for new valve springs, maybe valves, and lifters. The springs do get weak and can break after many thousands of miles.

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on your engine? If it's a lot, this would be a good for new valve springs, maybe valves, and lifters. The springs do get weak and can break after many thousands of miles.

I found all the receipts for a new engine in 2006. truck has "86k" on it... so, no idea. Ive had it for 2 years.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'd find out which head and do one HG, in the truck. If there's other discoveries along the way, only then would I consider taking it further.