If i may ask what did you guy's pay for your truck or 7.3 or 6.9 powered vehicles?

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fsmyth,

In 1986 he paid 13,600.oo, which is 29,863.oo USD in "2016 dollars".

yours, satx

Last edited:

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$2450 including tags and reg. Ended up doing lift pump, IP, injectors, tires, radiator/HC, and rear WC and shoes to make it reliable again.

Flat bed, Train horns, D-70U rear, and told 346k on the odo.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To ALL,

Low mileage, rust-FREE, Ford, GM & Dodge vintage/antique diesel trucks show up for sale fairly often here in South Texas.

IF anyone here is interested in finding such a truck, feel free to contact me by PM, as I'm retired & find them quite often while looking for my true passion: antique boats & antique M-B cars.
Having been stationed at Ft Drum, Ft McCoy & other places where they salt the roads when I was on AD, I know all too much about RUST.
(I found the '86 F-250 while looking for a RARE in original/restorable condition 1956 Lone Star Admiral "tinny" on a Tee-Nee trailer, that I'd "heard about through the grapevine". Never did find the Lone Star Admiral, btw, but after finding the F-250 I was still pleased "by having wasted a day looking about in the brush".)

YES, the F-250 will be used to tow my 5 antique Texas-built boats.
("I'm NOT, I'm NOT a boataholic. I can quit buying more boats/motors/trailer anytime that I want." = CHUCKLE)

Note: I'm currently "looking at" yet another Texas-built: a 1960 HURRICANE of TEXAS 24 foot Runabout on a DAL-TEX 4-wheel trailer. - I will power it with a pair of restored HOMELITE 55 outboards.
My collection includes the ONLY surviving fiberglass YELLOW JACKET runabout (YJ only built 8 glass boats before going bankrupt.) & the ONLY boat ever completed by CAMP COUNTY BOATWORKS, which is a 15.5 foot ski-boat.
(There's not enough money in TX to buy either.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
$800 with pipe rack talked him down from $1500
heres when I went to look at it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$31,700 IIRC in 1994, including tax, tags, and insurance. There were no Crew Cab diesels to be had in 93-94. I had ordered a Chevy C3500 in 1993. Eleven months later, found this one at a dealer the day it arrived. Two had been driven from Elkhart Lake, IN. One was already sold, and they were holding this one for me until I could drive about 20 miles. It was titled the first time with 1300 miles on it. I drove it the next day to pick up my deposit from the Chevy dealer. The C3500 came in two months later, and they called me to come and look at it. My wife first comment was "That's ugly compared to ours". I plan to own it until I die.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fsmyth,

In 1986 he paid 13,600.oo, which is 29,863.oo USD in "2016 dollars".

yours, satx

What is a comparable truck at the dealer (this year's model)?

Sorry about the silly questions, I haven't followed this pricing thing.
And have _never_ bought a current model.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fsmyth,

I don't know that there IS a comparable PU available in 2016. = For starters, the IDI is relatively easy for a newcomer to truck repair to keep running fine. The new trucks are $$$$$$$$$$$$ to buy as well as COMPLICATED & EXPENSIVE to maintain & repair.
(A 25-50YO Ford is CHEAP in every respect IF you buy wisely. - I know a guy here in SATX who bought a 20YO F-150 out of an estate sale about 10 years ago for 1800.oo cash. The PU had 29,000 actual one-owner miles on it at that time. In the first year, other than changing the oil/filters/windshield wipers/etc., Tom spent almost ZILCH on the PU except 200.oo to buy a new AM/FM/CD player. = I saw the PU a couple of weeks ago & "the green monster" is still running fine.)

As for me, I understand the old mechanical IDIs & can do all my own maintenance, with a basic tool set, oil/filters/antifreeze/replaceable parts/etc. & some of my time.
Also, I now any number of "old Army buddies" who have a 1000-1500.oo car payment each month.- That I can do WITHOUT!!!

yours, satx

Last edited:

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fsmyth,

I don't know that there IS a comparable PU available in 2016. = For starters, the IDI is relatively easy for a newcomer to truck repair to keep running fine. The new trucks are $$$$$$$$$$$$ to buy as well as COMPLICATED & EXPENSIVE to maintain & repair.
(A 25-50YO Ford is CHEAP in every respect IF you buy wisely. - I know a guy here in SATX who bought a 20YO F-150 out of an estate sale about 10 years ago for 1800.oo cash. The PU had 29,000 actual one-owner miles on it at that time. In the first year, other than changing the oil/filters/windshield wipers/etc., Tom spent almost ZILCH on the PU except 200.oo to buy a new AM/FM/CD player. = I saw the PU a couple of weeks ago & "the green monster" is still running fine.)

As for me, I understand the old mechanical IDIs & can do all my own maintenance, with a basic tool set, oil/filters/antifreeze/replaceable parts/etc. & some of my time.

yours, satx

Granted about all the added crap on new stuff. Just curious to know what a similar setup would cost
today if one wanted a dependable truck. No biggie. I _can_ go look at dealer ads. :)

And - you are the first classic boat nut I have run across. Howdy.
My interests are in older generators and electronic gear.
It used to be cars, and probably still would be if I had the shop environment to support it again.

superds

Reaction score
To ALL,

Low mileage, rust-FREE, Ford, GM & Dodge vintage/antique diesel trucks show up for sale fairly often here in South Texas.

IF anyone here is interested in finding such a truck, feel free to contact me by PM, as I'm retired & find them quite often while looking for my true passion: antique boats & antique M-B cars.

Having been stationed at Ft Drum, Ft McCoy & other places where they salt the roads when I was on AD, I know all too much about RUST.

(I found the '86 F-250 while looking for a RARE in original/restorable condition 1956 Lone Star Admiral "tinny" on a Tee-Nee trailer, that I'd "heard about through the grapevine". Never did find the Lone Star Admiral, btw, but after finding the F-250 I was still pleased "by having wasted a day looking about in the brush".)

YES, the F-250 will be used to tow my 5 antique Texas-built boats.

("I'm NOT, I'm NOT a boataholic. I can quit buying more boats/motors/trailer anytime that I want." = CHUCKLE)

Note: I'm currently "looking at" yet another Texas-built: a 1960 HURRICANE of TEXAS 24 foot Runabout on a DAL-TEX 4-wheel trailer. - I will power it with a pair of restored HOMELITE 55 outboards.

My collection includes the ONLY surviving fiberglass YELLOW JACKET runabout (YJ only built 8 glass boats before going bankrupt.) & the ONLY boat ever completed by CAMP COUNTY BOATWORKS, which is a 15.5 foot ski-boat.

(There's not enough money in TX to buy either.)

yours, satx

Got any pics or links to your antique boats? Sounds fun!

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fsmyth,

Also, I now any number of "old Army buddies" who have a 1000-1500.oo car payment each month.- That I can do WITHOUT!!!

yours, satx

Amen to that. One of the biggest reasons i'm here in IDI land is because of my in-tolerence on "Engineered-obsolescence". I want to own only cars and trucks with little to no computers, and I want to learn how to fix my own stuff so GOOD NEWS!, because anything old enough to be CPU free is gonna need a bunch of wrenching.
Plus the Fords just look better than the other trucks of the period. 1st gen Cummins are okay looking, and the '80's Chev square body is classic but the Fords look best.

Best looking truck, million-mile engine and no hyper-inflated fan-boi crap....WIN!

kf6ivi

Reaction score
I paid $750 for my first truck. The prior owner thought the motor was toasted because it was leaking oil allover the place. I replaced the oil line going to the turbo and it fixed the oil leak. Still driving that truck 13 years later
Next one I bought sight-un-seen for 300 bucks, I bought it as a parts truck I ran that one for two years, until it dropped a rod. I still have it gone pull the motor from the 2 wheel drive and put in it.
Ethan

Last edited:

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fsmyth; superds,

Sooner or later, I'm going to have to acquire a camera, learn how to use it & then how to post photos.

My "pride & joy" is my glass 1958-59 YELLOW JACKET. = BEAUTIFUL hull lines & when it's completed, it will go on the boat-show circuit.

IF you believe that I'm a boat-NUT, one of my crazy friends has FOUR ACRES of antique boats, packed-in wheel to wheels & stem to stern.
(My buddy Alan in Houston has 14 Yellow Jacket "woodies" the last time that I was there & a huge storage building full of outboards & parts. - He owns ROY ROGERS's famous open-ocean YJ racing-boat for just one "very rare boat".)

NOTE: IF you are interested in antique, classic boats & other marine collectables, check out http://www.fiberglassics.com = That's where the REAL experts on antique boats hang out.

yours, satx

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im more of the inboard variety!
not very antique, but classics none the less.
oah and if it does not have a v-drive box, it better have twin I/O's lol

PROP BOATS FOR LIFE

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NOW THAT IS A DOWN RIGHT DIRTY LIE! LOL
own your addiction:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online