idi with bosch injection pump

idifreak

Reaction score
Welp im here to dredge up the age old question of how to get crazy unrealistic hp and torque out of our old idi's. my idi has always met my needs for power and torque without any problems. I am running a 7.3 with typ4 cam, Justin's Db2 pump, custom injector made to flow 10% over stock, Hx35/40 custom turbo setup, heads studded with lower compression. loved the entire set up it worked perfectly for what I needed but like every other idi owner out there I was wondering how to cram more fuel into the engine.

now to real point many of you im sure are probably farmiliar with internationals DV550 engine. big massive naturally aspired v8 engine. which was equipped with a holley injection pump and also a bosch inline injection pump which I have figured to be an A-series pump with 9.5mm plungers and barrels. it is very hard to find information on these pumps as they are not very common. I don't know anything about how much fuel the pump can actually flow stock. but have read up on the same pump in 6cyl version pushing 600cc(just what I read).

of all the idi owners and power freaks out there I cant have been the only person to think of this. so come on people why isn't this freezable or practical? I've heard of p pumps I've heard of cat 3208 pumps I've heard everything except a Bosch A-series pump.
You must be registered for see images attach

this is the beast right here got an exceptionally good deal on it that I just couldn't pass up and its supposedly rebuilt

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the idea. first thing to do is figure out rotation.

idifreak

Reaction score
Thanks I've been putting a lot of thought into this. It's in the mail hopefully it will get here soon to start testing and mocking. 300 bucks for the pump idk what I got but seems like a good deal

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a really good deal, I remember when you'd pay more than that for a used one in unknown condition. They used this same pump on tractors, I believe a common one was a 1468 IH, and it had 4 cylinders drop out at idle or low load conditions to save fuel, then when it went to wot higher load conditions all 8 cylinders worked equally. Guys would take two pumps and swap all 8 full time plungers into one 'good' pump haha. I 'me not sure how the trucks were set up, I know I've seen some with all 8 full time plungers, but it's possible they had some set up as part time on trucks too.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Mmmmm, had one off a 9.0l IH, in my possession and has now moved on to someone else who is going to attempt that feat. Was going to exceed my cost limits to do so and was going to leave the engine at an experimental state and not as what I wanted for a reliable daily driver.
Really want to see an idi get an inline pump to see what it can do and for how long. :D

idifreak

Reaction score
Yeah I'm hoping this one is set up to run on all 8 all the time.

Yeah well I guess I'll donate my truck to the cause. Should have it all running and ready to go by spring. I don't want to get to crazy with all this though

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al I know is I saw this on my phone last night...and thought ok neat...

NOW I see it on puter n think OMG *** that's awesome!!!!!

idifreak

Reaction score
Dont get to excited yet. Wait till we're done. I think we mite have some complications with the pump

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
This would be the best "major modification" to an idi in my opinion. My biggest pet peave with the idi 6.9/7.3 and the 6.2 is the DB-2 pumps, that just don't last as long as pretty well any other pump that I have run.

Good luck on your project, im subscribed.

P.S: I know of a IH TD24 Dresser dozer with an IH V8 with an inline pump. I will investigate next time im working with the fella who is the proud owner of it.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My big question would be how the governor and dynamic timing advance is setup - that would be the hardest part to properly match to the IDI I think.

Mounting and high pressure lines would take some creative engineering but that's not that hard, just a matter of doing it,

idifreak

Reaction score
My big question would be how the governor and dynamic timing advance is setup - that would be the hardest part to properly match to the IDI I think.

Mounting and high pressure lines would take some creative engineering but that's not that hard, just a matter of doing it,

I know that is what worries me the most about this pump idk how all that's going to work. Somehow there is a way it can be done so it works. Just things to figure out. What do I have to loose mite as well try it and see what happens. All the mounting should be simple though

idifreak

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

sorry about the pictures snapped them quick this weekend with my phone. Picked up a couple junk motors this weekend for parts. Always need lot of things to experiment with. one had a cracked block but salvaged pretty much everything else. other was full of water and was almost complete junk. the motor in the back is the 6.9 we re building now that the pump is going to go on. ill give you more info on it later

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86