Idi vs the Powerstroke!!! old school power!

fordsrawesome

Reaction score
Hey guys so i have a awesome story to tell. I live just north of dayton ohio. today and yesterday like most of indy,ohio,michigan areas there has been crazy storms and sub zero weather. So yesterday i go out and start the old girl, 1983 6.9 4x4 bought for 775 bucks. Fires after the first glow no problem yesterday morning. So smart me says o this will be no problem starting it later on! so park it at work from 630 till about 8 pm that night. My buddy has a 2002 powerstroke lifted chipped, all kinds of little goodies and what not its a 20k truck that he bought a few years back. I call it a "BUT" Big Useless Truck, its lifted so high its not even practical, a toy basically, and very babied lol. My buddy says he always plugs it in because hes a scared of it not starting, and he said that! so we get back after our shift and i say we should have a competition on whos will start faster. Ok so the temp yesterday was 0 to -8 with windchill at -34 legit cold! Trucks werent plugged in which was kinda dumb but it was in the middle of a parking lot what are ya gunna do. He goes to start his BUT and it hardly even turns over, HAH! good ol autocraft batteries to the rescue not! He even glowed like 3 times. I go to start mine I glow for 30 secs and she cranks and fires but wont stay running and i precede to do this for 30 40 min. Finally I'm thinking fuel is gelled, so we take a ambulance ( I'm a paramedic) to wallyworld and grab some Diesel Kleen 911. Dump half the bottle in my tank and attempt to get my filter unscrewed, couldn't with my hands cause it was so cold and its kinda a bad spot leverage wise and its never been changed haha. finally I grab my belt off and wrap the filter and use my belt like a oil wrench and pop that sucker right off!! Needless to say my well educated medical nurse friends were impressed lol! so I dump out the old and put in some new, which surprisingly i didn't see any gelling so im guessing it was in the main feed from the tank. Hook the ambulance to mine and start crankin got her to start in 5 min!! My two buddies can't believe it One has a 2004 6.0 and the other 2002 7.3 both pretty trucks and mine fires! needless to say never did get my buddies 2002 to start and i had to take him home shamed forever in the ol girl!! haha But as true FORD lovers are he was still happy his dad didn't have to come pick him up in his durajunk GMC haha! anyway guys thought you might like that and share some of your good cold start stories, especially if it means some dodge or chevy shame!

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha good story. Ive heard and seen this plenty of times with the H.E.U.I fired powerstorkes. Your right theyre powerful pretty strong running trucks....until they dont start. It was a balmy 1 degree out this morning and i glowed my 7.3 once and fired off a 6 second crank without being plugged in. Impressive i think. It also pays to throw 8 glowsticks in once a year for this reason and not to have one break off in a head....cheap insurance. Plus rock auto is sellin em at 6.50$ a piece who can resist?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 fired off last night when I left work at 4am after a 15 second burn of the plugs but it was plugged in. Today when I went to leave the house at noon it took a couple of cycles but finally lit off and studdered for a while. This is my first winter with a diesel pick up but if it'll start in -30 I'm not too worried anymore. I keep a good dose of 911 in the tank too. I had a couple cummins gel up on me twice last night and the Kenworths were not happy about it either

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
for those heui guys, they need to drop their oil in the winter down to a 5w40 or a 10-30....helps a lot.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My coldest was -4. I drove my old, now gone, 6.9 to work. It was plugged in, but it did start pretty easily. A co-worker who is a big Dodge/Cummins NUT (stress the NUT) couldn't believe that I drove my diesel. His famous dodges won't start much below 10 even if they're plugged in with a battery charger on them. I know they're supposed to be real easy starting, but his aren't. He almost fell on the floor when I told him that I didn't have anything in the tank but diesel fuel. He is religious with his Howe's, but it doesn't help his.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got down to about 6 last night, wind was blowing a lot too. I didn't plug it in. Cycled the glow plugs once and cranked it over, surprised me it turned over as fast is it did. 2-4 seconds it started, running on 4-5 cylinders blowing white smoke pretty bad. I held it around 12-1400 rpm and it wouldn't clear up so I shut it off and glowed it again, them it started and cleared up after a few seconds. I was pretty surprised it started, I would have plugged it in if I HAD to be somewhere today, so it was a good little test.

jada64

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Im in MI and I can vouch for this cold. We were at -25F with the windchill. Had my truck plugged in but it needed new batteries. No start at 10:30 AM, had to jump it for a while to get it going. Went and bought 2 new Interstate Megatrons. Shouldnt have any issues now.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My psd: 331k miles, original untouched engine. One "new" 290k injector. Fires unplugged 10 sec glow. 1995 5spd

My idi: no idea how many miles. 10 sec glow fires off unplugged 89 5spd

My cummins: needs 10 seconds of cranking. Starts firing after first second, need to crank with engine firing for 10 secs or so. 95 auto

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Traditionally what Ive found with the busses is the 7.3 powerstrokes are a PITA no matter what, 24valve cummins so long as the battery is charged will almost always fire block heater or not, 12valves are a little harder and sub zero need a block heater (all of ours are plugged in all winter anyways). The new maxforces and DT466s if not plugged in wont start without ether (and they have glow plugs), the old DT466s have no cold start aids so if not plugged in require ether but are quite frankly the easiest to start with no block heater so long as the batteries are good. And all that on mornings in the single digits or less.

So far the record for my truck on cold starts is -15 with no block heater and the only reason I even tried was to see if it could.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
And when comparing 6.9 to 7.3 idi, I find that the 6.9 starts a bit quicker. Ive seen this on many occasions. I hear this is due to the slightly different pre-cup design.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
for those heui guys, they need to drop their oil in the winter down to a 5w40 or a 10-30....helps a lot.

Yes sir.
My 94 psd will lope right at 30°F when not plugged in.
Sunday it was single digits(negative teens wind chill), barely started, had to plug it in for about 15 minutes, still took some cranking.
Sunday night, something went wrong with my heater though, started tripping the breaker. If the heater itself is bad, gonna put in a circulating heater.

My batteries are getting weak, and I know all of my glowplugs aren't working.

I'm running 15W-40 Dino. As I don't add up miles real quick.

My boss's father has a 6.7 psd, said it wouldn't start sunday either.

Fastest starting diesel I've ever seen was my gm 6.2. Down in the teens it would start before I could let off the key. But I was told it only had about 80k miles on it.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once I got the glow plugs taken care of, my 85 6.9 fires up pretty quick, and if its plugged in it fires up like its summer!

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's mine from this morning, it was 4* out with a windchill of around -8*. I forgot to plug it in when I got up so I figured I'd see how it did cold. The gp's are about 2 years old, batteries are 5 month old Costco's, and the Moose Junior and BB's are a year old. I was pretty happy with it!

You must be registered for see images attach

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Here's mine from this morning, it was 4* out with a windchill of around -8*. I forgot to plug it in when I got up so I figured I'd see how it did cold. The gp's are about 2 years old, batteries are 5 month old Costco's, and the Moose Junior and BB's are a year old. I was pretty happy with it!

You must be registered for see images attach

No tack lol?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online