Idi vs powerstroke

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
where are the cops when you need them?

Eating donuts at QT. LOL
I've got 4.10's, zf-5, and pretty small drive tires. Not sure what my top is, but I hit 70 pretty quick for a 4x4 f350. Oh and it's my 94 PSD.

Pretty sure I broke 100 in the 88 f250 I had. It was na, zf-5, 3.54's, and pretty tall tires. Half throttle in 4th I'd be passing people on the highway at 70. One night I redlined 4th then hit 5th for a little bit. But in a 4x4 ttb'd truck of that era, it's not fun.
I was always chirping 2nd gear. LOL

I pulled a saab 9-3 vector with the 88, then pulled the 88 with my 94, definitely no comparison as far as towing power. But what I miss is the right off idle tq of the idi.

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck must not be running right.... the thought of racing anyone has never entered my mind... hah

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck actually has 3.55 and I could probably push it passed 75 but I keep it between 65-70 on the highway or its loud as heck and gets horrible mileage. But hey around town driving relatively aggressive I'm getting 17 mpg. If I drive normally I get almost 21.

67-7THREE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has waxed more than one chip/intake/exhaust OBS, they are actually turds in stock form

interesting.. so your setup has beat chipped psd's huh? i have a turbo'd/maxed ip 7.3 idi im putting in a 67 right now and wondering how the power would be agianst my chipped psd.. i thought my psd was gonna still be much faster

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
interesting.. so your setup has beat chipped psd's huh? i have a turbo'd/maxed ip 7.3 idi im putting in a 67 right now and wondering how the power would be agianst my chipped psd.. i thought my psd was gonna still be much faster

Yep, both of us rowing manual transmissions, I think my shifting helped a lot. His has a TS 6 pos with 4 inch exhaust and a cold air intake of some sort. I also have an HY35 on mine which spools very quickly and if I grab gears fast enough dont lose any noticeable boost between shifts.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I just checked out your build thread. Man is that a sick truck. Makes me miss my 69 f100. Should have never sold it haha.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The 94-97 year trucks have the smallest injectors of all the PSD's. They were just 90cc. But they wont flow that unless you have a chip, even then a chip wont gain much on stock injectors.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
The 94-97 year trucks have the smallest injectors of all the PSD's. They were just 90cc. But they wont flow that unless you have a chip, even then a chip wont gain much on stock injectors.

Exactly, small injectors with a laggy exhaust housing doesnt make for a very quick truck.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The non-gated housing's probably don't help.
I have leaky up-pipes on mine, but I wouldn't completely call it laggy, but that's why I want the ww2 wheel and un-crushed downpipe.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Funny story about this subject:
In 2002 my son was getting really cramped in the back seat of my wife's 1990 F250 Extended Cab.
It was a 7.3, 5spd, Banks turbo. I had to rebuild the engine when we got it in 1994 and so it got the heads ported and turbo injectors and turned up pump. It ran pretty good, she had a lot of fun with it and it pulled the horse trailer with the camper on to the high country pretty well.
We had been looking for a CCSB 5 spd 4x4 for a year when we found one 2 1/2 hours away at a lot in Auburn CA specializing in diesels.
So we pull into the lot, check the Power Stroke crew cab over and decide to go for a test drive. My wife knows how to drive a stick, and isn't a lily. (too bad superwifey is already taken, that name would fit her too)
Anyway, THE POINT:
We cruise around in the PSD crew cab a few minutes, then we get where she can get on it a bit.
Reaction? SO WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT POWERSTROKES? My old truck whips this thing easy.......Drives around a bit more.....I don't want to go backwards? Are you sure we want this thing? I said trust me after I work on it a bit it will be OK. Of course with Exhaust, intake, chip and stage one injectors, it is now a bit faster than the old IDI. But in the beginning I bet the IDI was at 250 hp and the PSD was at 210.