idi vs di for wmo

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The inline pumps run thicker fuels much better. I have been running WVO for 20 years now and the bosch pumps on the mercedes are waaaay more forgiving than the standyne on my IDIS. The 12v with a p pump is supposed to be great for alt fuels, but the fummins swap is only a dream for me so I can't comment with authority on it.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. An old Mercedes turbo diesel wagon or four door is one of the other things I keep my eyes peeled for while I'm out delivering in the sticks. But you're right, the fummins swap is kinda out there but not out of the question if you can be at the right place at the right time. And I've been in that spot a couple times, just not with a 5.9 12v. And HEY!, Mr shadetree, that's a fine load of hay in your avitar pick! My hay guy is about to go way up on hay price(pushing the fummins just a little farther away from possible), but what can you do?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Having put many thousand miles on my diesels, here is my 2 cents worth:

The IDIs love WMO. You can even advance the timing a little to get more power & economy.

The PowerStrokes with Single Shot injectors will tolerate WMO for a while, but will coke up eventually. Perhaps, if a guy had a custom tune that had slightly advanced timing, it wouldn't coke up so bad.

The Powerstrokes with Split Shot injectors...just don't do it. After one tank of partial WMO, it coked up so bad on me, I had to drain the tank, change the oil, and it took 3 tanks of regular #2 diesel double dosed with injector cleaner to get it back to normal.

That's my experience.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The IDIs love WMO. You can even advance the timing a little to get more power & economy.

The PowerStrokes with Single Shot injectors will tolerate WMO for a while, but will coke up eventually. Perhaps, if a guy had a custom tune that had slightly advanced timing, it wouldn't coke up so bad.

The Powerstrokes with Split Shot injectors...just don't do it. After one tank of partial WMO, it coked up so bad on me, I had to drain the tank, change the oil, and it took 3 tanks of regular #2 diesel double dosed with injector cleaner to get it back to normal.

That's my experience.
I've heard the power strokes have no problem with ATF or hydraulic oil. Thoughts?

Never-Have-I-Ether

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's my experience.
Hey! Thank you for your 2cents, but I'm going to need at least another dollars worth!

How advanced on the timing do you see a benefit?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey! Thank you for your 2cents, but I'm going to need at least another dollars worth!

I think I am running one degree advanced beyond stock right now. Its been a while since I set it so I can't remember what stock specs are. I have run it as much as 4 degrees advanced, but it smokes a lot and rattles like crazy.
That hay pic was from a drought year (2016?) I found a guy several hours a way with a full barn and trucked for myself and my neighbors for several weeks.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score

I run an extra 2 degrees of timing with my WMO cocktail. Your mileage may vary. :)

WMO works best in a hot engine too. I find coking occurs when cruising lightly loaded.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I've heard the power strokes have no problem with ATF or hydraulic oil. Thoughts?

Never-Have-I-Ether

I have run a little ATF blended in with WMO, and had no problems. ATF and hydraulic oil are generally lighter than WMO, but WMO can really vary. It can range from gear oil to 0W20. Generally, the thinner it is, the less problems you'll have.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give the advance a shot. I've got a really big regional junkyard just behind my house I'm going to start tapping for oil, it'll be a mix of everything but as you know itll burn. And I remember 2016, there was always semis trucking hay to Texas from Florida.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online