IDI or powerstroke

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hahaha holy #$ blue.:D
your not pleased with your IDI or anything are ya? ;)
i gotta tell ya man,im feeling exactly what your putting down myself after a year of ownership.pretty dang hard to beat.
it's just getting the rest of the truck up to par with the engine thats been my task lol.:D

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For injectors, find a local fuel shop. Don't bother with a store for fuel parts.
I'm still learning about injectors myself, but depending on thick your wallet is...you should consider some BB code injectors from Mel. I think they're called Moose Misters or something. I'm still learning... PM Agnem for details.

This shop has a branch location in Agawm, 1 town over from me. The guys are AWESOME to deal with in person, rather than some voice on the phone. But I can't wait to build a turbo engine for my 65 and get a Moose fuel system and intercool the thing. THAT will be one tough IDI to beat in both speed and durability. http://www.mwfi.com/dieselPage/ford_69.htm They've also got a branch in Deep River, CT...well worth the drive to actually deal with people in person.

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha holy #$ blue.:D
your not pleased with your IDI or anything are ya? ;)
i gotta tell ya man,im feeling exactly what your putting down myself after a year of ownership.pretty dang hard to beat.
it's just getting the rest of the truck up to par with the engine thats been my task lol.:D

I was VERY disappointed with how "gutless" the 6.9 felt after switching over to this from my '65 with the 352 FE V8 gasser with the NP435 4 speed. That thing is a torque monster that puts the IDI to shame it seems.
But the more I beat on this IDI, I realize the 352 would have died already LOL
And the more I read about newer trucks, the more I appreciate this IDI for it's simplicity and ease of service. Especially after reading about the new 2011 Superduty Hop some guys are having issues with. CRAZY to spend 60k on a truck that friggin hops off the ground at 43 MPH. I'll keep my $900 IDI, thank you very much!
I hear guys in the gas station or at the auto parts store talking about HP and Torque numbers and all that crap and I get so anxious to tell them my $900 "OLD POS" (as they see it) can do most everything their rig can do, just a tad slower. I get FURIOUS when the friggin pretty boys driving Daddy's brand new Dura-trash look down on me for driving MY OWN truck that I WORKED for and continue to work for. I can't wait to smoke them with my '65. Gotta keep working with this "OLD POS" hauling in all the CASH to pay for the 65 and get that Moose fuel system.
Who's gonna be smiling then!? :thumbsup:

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
With a better flowing intake setup and a nice dual exhaust setup, you can keep up with a first generation Stroke if you're after performance. Want some proof? Here's an N/A IDI versus a turbo IDI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QThR3q53SKM&NR=1 Yes that video is in my favorites and yes I watch it often. :D

Stock replacement injectors for an IDI...$25 each brand new.
Stock replacement injection pump for an IDI...$450 rebuilt.
Injector install kit...$39 at my local fuel shop and the kit has Viton O-rings.

7.3 Stroke parts:
Replacement HPOP...$400
Replacement injectors...$240 each x 8 = $1920
$2,400 for a STOCK REPLACEMENT fuel system.

Want a kickin' IDI? Here's what I'm thinkin' when I build my IDI...
6.9 block and heads (the 7.3 is a bored 6.9, so the 6.9 has thicker cylinder walls), minimum overbore for fresh cyinder walls, milled down pistons to lower compression for higher boost, brand new bottom end, balanced rotating assembly, ARP head studs, 7.3 rockers in the 6.9 heads, Intake and exhaust manifold Grade 8 studs, Turbo off a 99.5-03 7.3 Stroke with the up-pipes routed like a Stroke, 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust, Moose pump, Moose injectors (Moose Misters is the name if I remember correctly...), Intercooler.

Don't kill me for this post...not trying to offend anyone but I have a few things I need to say...

For one thing about that video...that is a stock IDI turbo (questionable condition but more than likely with the gimped Ford pipe) versus a tuned and conditioned N/A. If anything, that video is a dedication to how BAD stock turbos are with the slight Ford changes...and how BADLY you can butcher the shifting on a ZF5 (My old man shifts better and he is in his 70s). On the same coin, also an applaud to proper care of a diesel on the N/A's part. Sorry, annoyed with the recent "rave" over that video.

Now that I have that off my chest, I know you some of you guys have some serious loyalty, but lets be honest here at least....

For a kid going to school and looking for cheap transportation...the IDI is a great powerplant with its lower costs. BUT come on, you can't make that many PSD claims and not expect someone to call you on it...

For one, where are you getting those prices? I'll be sure to stay FAR away from that place! I can price a set of injectors right now for $125-150 a piece. Not only that, but I've NEVER heard of replacing the HPOP unless you are upgrading to a higher pressure one to supply high horsepower injectors. Believe me I've looked into it too.

Now that we are to the question of power versus price. I know the simplicity of the IDI is promising, but don't kid yourself man. You are gonna be into that IDI by THOUSANDS and you will never catch that PSD on power. In fact...larger exhaust, larger air filter and a cheap chip will net you just over 300hp in that PSD. That is what...$700 in parts? Can't even get the machining for your IDI done for that. Also worth noting, to date, the highest IDI dyno is just over 200hp...I rest my case.

In summary, past the loyalty...IDI is simple and cheap versus the PSD which is a little more complex and a bit more expensive. PSD beats the IDI hands down in power and aftermarket support, no way around it. Both are extremely reliable and will last you a long time.
It all comes down to what you find fits your current situation. Personally, I picked an IDI for me being a student and needing a reliable vehicle that I couldn't find in a gasser. That and not having the finances to do with a PSD that I want. :)

Good luck, hope you are happy with whichever you choose. Also, welcome to the Ford family. ;Sweet

Last edited:

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dave, i definetly agree with you there, thats no question. but i think im goin the IDI route until i graduatem this way i can get the job done thru school, then pick myself up a powerstroke afterward this way, if something goes wrong i have the money to fix it. the IDI on the other hand, it wont drain my wallet if something goes wrong.

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense at all! ;Sweet

I just wanted to light the fire so there could be good discussion so the OP could get a bunch of input. I'm IDI loyal, so my opinions tend to be HIGHLY biased! :D :D

My Dad's 03 7.3 PSD is bone stock with 170k miles. The only thing we've done is transmission filters and flushes. Engine oil changes, air filters, batteries, a starter, fuel filters....and I think that's it....
It's a daily driver for a 40-mile round trip for him to get to work and back. It's been cross country 3 times. Once with an 8' truck camper, once with that 8' truck camper towing the 28' camper, and once with an 11' truck camper. We just bought a 20' enclosed trailer that he's putting a house-type shower stall, a sink, and some cabinets in the front so that it will be a home-made toy hauler. He wants to bring the Jeep CJ8 out west so when him and my Mom want to explore the national parks farther then they can walk...they can drive. And yes, that Powerstroke will be hauling that trailer many more times out west...all will be trouble-free and faster than an IDI will perform the task.

I remember on our trip out in 2006, I was 16. We were in Ogalala, Nebraska and the transmission had been surging that day...making funny noises and all. The temp gauge was reading a little warm, but my Dad awasn't alerted by it. We found the local Ford dealership and stopped in. My Dad was VERY worried. Mechanic just pointed to the electronic sign at the bank next door that said the temperature was 114 degrees. He said "Sir, your truck is just plain hot." Transmission hasn't been 100% right since then, I think we bruned it up a bit...but it still works great everyday! Shift points are off a little, and engages weird sometimes...but it works. It's going to get rebuilt within another 15-20k miles before the next major trip...and it's getting a larger cooler!
Why does that matter? The 4R100 is the 99-2003 Superduty truck is very similar to the E4OD. Heat is the biggest factor in killing them, otherwise they're a great transmission as long as you keep the electrical connections in good shape.

My IDI was a student-hauler for me also. I drove 40-mile round trip everyday to Community College and graduated last Spring. Yep, had a couple issues along the way...but that rig started up every morning no matter what the temperature and got me there. So reliable, I pulled a 4.0 with a 19-credit workload while running a start-up landscaping business. Yes, the IDI is the heart and soul of my life! If my IDI dies, I'm in BIG trouble. But, I rely on it and it performs day in and day out.
I remember one day I was leaving school on the way home. I was the last one in the parking lot and the guy had been waiting for me to get there, so he could lock the gate and go home. Yep, batteries were dead...GREAT!
Know what was my lucky break? Being on top of the hill and pop-starting it with my 4 speed.
With a 40 mile round trip to school everyday, 60% was 2-lane highway, 10% was city, and 30% was 1-lane 45 MPH roads. Anywhere from 16-23 MPG's depending if I was running late or not :dunno That's without overdrive, running 3.55 gears. 16 with the go-pedal stuck to the floor, 23 feathering the pedal and driving extremely slow. 23 MPG and driving that slow isn't practical, so I usually was satisfied with 18-20.

Yes, the IDI build will be expensive and a Stroke could be built up for a whole lot less. But consider the factors of "jerry-rigging" to get home. Some days I swear that if I didn't have bad luck, then I'd have no luck at all LOL

Powerstroke aftermarket is a lot deeper than the IDI aftermarket. In fact, the Moose fuel system, Type4 camshaft, ARP head studs, and DPS injectors are about as extensive as it gets I think. But hey, what more do ya need?

If speed and power is the ultimate goal for an empty truck, then a Powerstroke might be a better choice. But with that much power, what's gonna give? Driveshaft or U-Joints? I don't see the point in a truck that would haul trailers to have over 200-240 Horsepower. A 200 HP IDI is as powerful as anyone needs...before the rest of the truck falls apart/breaks behind it.

If I were in the buyers shoes, I would friggin JUMP on that IDI with a banks.
There are also those who would JUMP on a Stroke.

Depends on who you ask, but that's my view. As Dave said, welcoem to the Ford family! Nice to see another "Ford Blue Bleeder"! ;Sweet

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dave, i definetly agree with you there, thats no question. but i think im goin the IDI route until i graduatem this way i can get the job done thru school, then pick myself up a powerstroke afterward this way, if something goes wrong i have the money to fix it. the IDI on the other hand, it wont drain my wallet if something goes wrong.

I'm sure he understands, that's the route he said he's going also. How old are you and how old are you Dave? We all seem about the same age talking about school....

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah im goin for the IDI. its just more suited to my needs. plus my fathers friend is a tree guy down here in shelton, monroe area and hes got about 7 of em out of florida, no rust all lifted up nice that he uses for haulin his chippers and firewood. he had a 6.0 he had nothin but trouble with. i think he has 1 or 2 7.3 powerstrokes. but i know hes got alot of IDI's and he loves em. if i can ever snatch a picture of one of em i will. cause the one im thinkin about is just plain pretty lol he got it painted the same color as the general lee.

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll enjoy IDI ownership. There are MANY things I've done with my $900 IDI that I would never think of doing with a fancy Stroke. Just yesterday, hauled a load of scrap metal, light load, only 2k pounds. Had to back into the mud where the icy mud was up over my rims. The guy running the excavator with the huge hydrailic shears was picking a Dana 70 and some engines off my flatbed, he set the shears down on the bed, maybe even pushed down, because the suspension sank about 6" and torqued the whole truck. Not something I would do with a $2k or more truck...
But hey, it made my job easier.
Don't let anyone tell you a wood flatbed is weak either. Mine only has a couple deep cuts now, no broken boards and the truck is LIGHT.
Tare weight of 5,700 pounds!

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
IN all honesty i'd keep the cummins for sure. more power worth more but that's just me i love idi's but i love my 12v also

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got rid of a really nice 97 CCSB PSD and put together my current truck. All things being equal, I'd rather have a PSD than an IDI, but I don't think the PSD is worth the extra money.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blueoval PM me a pic of your IDI. and the flatbed on it because i found one on CL i can scoop up for 400$ not running, to use as a scrappin truck, id build a flatbed on it. and i dont want to keep the cummins, its too rusty and if something goes wrong with it i dont have the $ to fix it. and the truck is down and im losing money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online