IDI or powerstroke

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im lookin to use this truck, either one the stroke with 235k or the idi with 201k. as a daily driver. this truck needs to get me to and from school, and work, and it needs to work all day, plow snow and start every time. im lookin for it to start in -5 weather and get my ass to work. im lookin for it to haul a 7k backhoe and 5k trailer, and a snowmobile trailer. im lookin for it to work hard and maybe make it to texas and back if i feel like takin a road trip:sly maybe i should keep my cummins....:rotflmao just playin i want a ford

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im lookin to use this truck, either one the stroke with 235k or the idi with 201k. as a daily driver. this truck needs to get me to and from school, and work, and it needs to work all day, plow snow and start every time. im lookin for it to start in -5 weather and get my ass to work. im lookin for it to haul a 7k backhoe and 5k trailer, and a snowmobile trailer. im lookin for it to work hard and maybe make it to texas and back if i feel like takin a road trip:sly maybe i should keep my cummins....:rotflmao just playin i want a ford
i would keep the cummins

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
W the miles. the IDI will most likely need pump and injectors(if never done or done 100k ago. The powerstroke will most likely need injectors around 200k so that is something to consider as well.

Towing a 12k load w a IDI is going to be a slow go

It will not be all that much faster w a PSD but it will diffinaly be faster if they both have the same gears

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the idi has a banks turbo;Sweet but id probably do the injectors on either of them next year anway considering ill be working it harder next year

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where in CT are ya? I'm about 30 minutes west of Springfield, MA. Granby, CT is 3 miles down the road I love on. Without saying a town, that ought to give you an idea of where in MA I am.

You want a long post as to why you should buy an IDI? Well, I guess you're prepared since you posted this in the IDI forum. Go grab a coffee...I LOVE my IDI...and I'm gonna IDI 'till I die!

The IDI engine is stupid simple and will perform any duty you ask it to do. It may not make as much power as a Stroke, but it will definetly get the job done.
With a better flowing intake setup and a nice dual exhaust setup, you can keep up with a first generation Stroke if you're after performance. Want some proof? Here's an N/A IDI versus a turbo IDI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QThR3q53SKM&NR=1 Yes that video is in my favorites and yes I watch it often. :D

Towcat can tell ya all about how tough an IDI is. Here's a quote I have read so many times that I saved it and read it every so often when I'm upset that my bone stock 6.9 is feeling slow. I read it to remember that my truck is a true POWERHOUSE, not a SPEED demon.

Towcat: "I went though 3 ZF5's in my F450 carrier from 1993 to 2003. put 980k logbook miles on the chassis. If I didn't put the truck into 5th gear on the freeway, I'd get run off the road. running an average gross of 15-17k lbs, the 5th gear did fine. if you ever owned a F450, you will testify the powertrain is extremely underrated by the factory.. I hydrolocked my first motor at 650k. I stopped giving it any love at 475k.it had low oil pressure, so I stopped changing the oil and stopped adding SCA's. it made it that far with pure neglect. the second motor is ready to be changed out, it's got a fair amount of blow-by now and the draconian smog laws got set back two years. therefore the truck is getting re-powered this spring..
anyone who tells you these motors need to be babied is F.O.S. I have a shop stocked with used motors. the truck will get yet another used motor.
I used to drive the carrier exclusively, but now I have drivers and I'll be damned if I am going to turbo the truck for a driver. He will get to suffer with flat footing the throttle and dropping a few gears in the hills. In my '92 CC dually, I might drop into 4th going up the grapevine pulling 14k GCVW but the truck is doing the speed limit with some throttle left before hitting the floor. thanks to the IC, the EGT's are a non-issue. I'm pushing 900 deg at the end of the exh manifold on the driver's side. Even unloaded, the F450 is down into 3rd pulling the grapevine and it tares at 9500lbs. turbo and IC makes a big difference with these trucks. If I was the only driver in my F450, it would get a turbo and a IC in a hot second. "

That's a compilation of a few posts from one thread. The IDI may not win a race, but it WILL finish the race.

On the IDI engine, all services can be done with common hand tools. A buddy of mine did an engine swap and doesn't even have a complete socket set.

Stock replacement injectors for an IDI...$25 each brand new.
Stock replacement injection pump for an IDI...$450 rebuilt.
Injector install kit...$39 at my local fuel shop and the kit has Viton O-rings.

7.3 Stroke parts:
Replacement HPOP...$400
Replacement injectors...$240 each x 8 = $1920
$2,400 for a STOCK REPLACEMENT fuel system.

Want a kickin' IDI? Here's what I'm thinkin' when I build my IDI...
6.9 block and heads (the 7.3 is a bored 6.9, so the 6.9 has thicker cylinder walls), minimum overbore for fresh cyinder walls, milled down pistons to lower compression for higher boost, brand new bottom end, balanced rotating assembly, ARP head studs, 7.3 rockers in the 6.9 heads, Intake and exhaust manifold Grade 8 studs, Turbo off a 99.5-03 7.3 Stroke with the up-pipes routed like a Stroke, 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust, Moose pump, Moose injectors (Moose Misters is the name if I remember correctly...), Intercooler.
An engine with this much power will turn driveshafts into candy canes pushing snow. So I never understand why people want so much power if the rest of the truck can't handle it. Even running N/A, you can pop the shaft yokes on the TTB front end. Dana 60 will handle it no problem, but the TTB runs smaller shafts.

Want reliability? If you've got a standard transmission behind an IDI...you're friggin golden! As stated earlier, supply 12v or as little as 9v to the FSS (Fuel Shutoff Solenoid) to get it to open, pop start it, and you can run on dead batteries...or no batteries at all. To shut it off, kill the power source to the FSS or just let the clutch out in high gear and stall the engine.

I'd jump on that 94 IDI with a 60 up front for plowing. An IDI will push banks like you can't believe. I swear, my engine runs better when I beat the crap out of it. I glue the go-pedal to the floor thru each gear every day. It's bone stock and doesn't even smoke. Yes, the IDI may feel like a snail compared to your Cummins, but it's cheap and powerful!
If it has the factory turbo, the downpipe is very restrictive. You'll notice it is squashed so that it will fit down in between the engine and firewall. The best upgrade is to find the upgraded ATS downpipe flange with a 3" downpipe, use a sawzall and pipe to bend the lip of the firewall back and stuff that 3" pipe in there. A 2" body lift would certainly help! There are some guys who have modified the factory turbo with different compressor wheels too.

Towing 12k pounds? The IDI will handle the task! Slower than any other newer diesel truck, but it WILL do it! Stopping is more important than getting going. Consider a hydroboost swap off an F-Superduty from 87-97. If it's an automatic, get a larger transmission cooler for that E4OD. If it's manual, RUN IT HARD! But of course, I'm biased and only run manuals because I just hate/don't believe in automatics.

If you are anywhere in the northern CT area, I'd gladly meet up with you and gladly beat the snot out of my IDI to show you they can't be beaten. A lot of people think I'm nuts, but I glue that smoke-pedal to the floor at each light and the truck just goes. I don't even know what kind of damage a turbo would do, running N/A with some mods can break stuff as it is.

Want to talk about money? I paid $900 for my truck. It ran, but needed a fuel system because it was sluggish, it needed a windshield, the right front fender was (and still is) banged up, and it didn't have a bed. It's a long wheelbase rig that "was" a dually. I built a wooden bed for it and swapped over to Single rear wheels. I love it.
I estimate I have about $2k total in the truck.
For a 21 year old with commercial insurance (self-emplyed) I pay $651 per year.
For commercial plates, it's around $200 a year in MA.
I run it everyday making money during the season (landscaper) and it has paid for itself over and over and over again. I average 18 MPG's, and the lowest I've seen is 13 when the pedal was glued all day running 75-80 with no overdrive on the highway...and of course gluing the pedal all around town. What can I say? I love it! :D
The truck doesn't take much of any maintenance, I keep track of the antifreeze, oil level, air filters, all that basic crap...and it never needs anything.

I've bought a parts truck 85 F350 for $100 because it didn't run. Yep, the return lines were leaking so it wouldn't hold prime overnight. bought a return line kit and the truck fired right up! That engine is going into my '65. I used the radiator and many other parts already on my 85 and kept a bunch as replacements for the future.

If I were you, I'd snag that 94 IDI and MAKE SOME MONEY, and RUN IT HARD. Don't be shy, it won't break.

I could go on forever...there's no way I'll ever drive anything but an IDI in a truck. Well...the only other thing would be a TURBO'D IDI :thumbsup:

My Dad has an 03 F350 with a 7.3 PSD he bought brand new and has taken very good care of. 170k miles and we haven't done a thing to it except for transmission flushes and filter changes. So I can't say anything BAD about a Stroke except for the price of ownership. They have a lot of power, we went cross country with a slide-in camper in the truck bed of his Crew Cab long bed single rear wheel 7.3/auto while towing my grandparents 28' tandem axle camper trailer. It was slower than I thought it would be, but it went like a dream. We hit the hills and I never thought it was going to slow down, but it did. I can't say my IDI wouldn't have though, unless it had a turbo! ;Sweet

All in all, the IDI is more economical and easier on the wallet to fix and drive. If power is what you're after, turbo the IDI. A turbo IDI may not be as fast or powerful as a Cummins, but it WILL do everyhting you ask it to do. Besides, what good is a 400 HP truck that has so much power it twisted the driveshaft into a candy cane and is not useless sitting on the side of the road?

Want more reasons to go IDI? Ask away on anything specific!!

Edit: I just read that you said it has a Banks turbo setup. F'IN JUMP ON THAT! If not, where is it? I'll buy it and put it to work myself!

Last edited:

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned 2 IDI's, and 1 97 PSD. I've towed the same 10k pound 5er with both the PSD truck (which was bone stock), and my current N/A IDI. The PSD pulled the big weight better. With the IDI, I have the go pedal to the floor about half of the time; but to the IDI's credit, I feel totally confident in the reliability of the motor even when abusing the hell out of it. Both are super reliable. You'll be happy either way. If it came down to 2 identical trucks except for one being IDI, and the other being a PSD, at the same price, I would choose the PSD. Sorry guys..........

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where in CT are ya? I'm about 30 minutes west of Springfield, MA. Granby, CT is 3 miles down the road I love on. Without saying a town, that ought to give you an idea of where in MA I am.

You want a long post as to why you should buy an IDI? Well, I guess you're prepared since you posted this in the IDI forum. Go grab a coffee...I LOVE my IDI...and I'm gonna IDI 'till I die!

The IDI engine is stupid simple and will perform any duty you ask it to do. It may not make as much power as a Stroke, but it will definetly get the job done.
With a better flowing intake setup and a nice dual exhaust setup, you can keep up with a first generation Stroke if you're after performance. Want some proof? Here's an N/A IDI versus a turbo IDI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QThR3q53SKM&NR=1 Yes that video is in my favorites and yes I watch it often. :D

Towcat can tell ya all about how tough an IDI is. Here's a quote I have read so many times that I saved it and read it every so often when I'm upset that my bone stock 6.9 is feeling slow. I read it to remember that my truck is a true POWERHOUSE, not a SPEED demon.

Towcat: "I went though 3 ZF5's in my F450 carrier from 1993 to 2003. put 980k logbook miles on the chassis. If I didn't put the truck into 5th gear on the freeway, I'd get run off the road. running an average gross of 15-17k lbs, the 5th gear did fine. if you ever owned a F450, you will testify the powertrain is extremely underrated by the factory.. I hydrolocked my first motor at 650k. I stopped giving it any love at 475k.it had low oil pressure, so I stopped changing the oil and stopped adding SCA's. it made it that far with pure neglect. the second motor is ready to be changed out, it's got a fair amount of blow-by now and the draconian smog laws got set back two years. therefore the truck is getting re-powered this spring..
anyone who tells you these motors need to be babied is F.O.S. I have a shop stocked with used motors. the truck will get yet another used motor.
I used to drive the carrier exclusively, but now I have drivers and I'll be damned if I am going to turbo the truck for a driver. He will get to suffer with flat footing the throttle and dropping a few gears in the hills. In my '92 CC dually, I might drop into 4th going up the grapevine pulling 14k GCVW but the truck is doing the speed limit with some throttle left before hitting the floor. thanks to the IC, the EGT's are a non-issue. I'm pushing 900 deg at the end of the exh manifold on the driver's side. Even unloaded, the F450 is down into 3rd pulling the grapevine and it tares at 9500lbs. turbo and IC makes a big difference with these trucks. If I was the only driver in my F450, it would get a turbo and a IC in a hot second. "

That's a compilation of a few posts from one thread. The IDI may not win a race, but it WILL finish the race.

On the IDI engine, all services can be done with common hand tools. A buddy of mine did an engine swap and doesn't even have a complete socket set.

Stock replacement injectors for an IDI...$25 each brand new.
Stock replacement injection pump for an IDI...$450 rebuilt.
Injector install kit...$39 at my local fuel shop and the kit has Viton O-rings.

7.3 Stroke parts:
Replacement HPOP...$400
Replacement injectors...$240 each x 8 = $1920
$2,400 for a STOCK REPLACEMENT fuel system.

Want a kickin' IDI? Here's what I'm thinkin' when I build my IDI...
6.9 block and heads (the 7.3 is a bored 6.9, so the 6.9 has thicker cylinder walls), minimum overbore for fresh cyinder walls, milled down pistons to lower compression for higher boost, brand new bottom end, balanced rotating assembly, ARP head studs, 7.3 rockers in the 6.9 heads, Intake and exhaust manifold Grade 8 studs, Turbo off a 99.5-03 7.3 Stroke with the up-pipes routed like a Stroke, 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust, Moose pump, Moose injectors (Moose Misters is the name if I remember correctly...), Intercooler.
An engine with this much power will turn driveshafts into candy canes pushing snow. So I never understand why people want so much power if the rest of the truck can't handle it. Even running N/A, you can pop the shaft yokes on the TTB front end. Dana 60 will handle it no problem, but the TTB runs smaller shafts.

Want reliability? If you've got a standard transmission behind an IDI...you're friggin golden! As stated earlier, supply 12v or as little as 9v to the FSS (Fuel Shutoff Solenoid) to get it to open, pop start it, and you can run on dead batteries...or no batteries at all. To shut it off, kill the power source to the FSS or just let the clutch out in high gear and stall the engine.

I'd jump on that 94 IDI with a 60 up front for plowing. An IDI will push banks like you can't believe. I swear, my engine runs better when I beat the crap out of it. I glue the go-pedal to the floor thru each gear every day. It's bone stock and doesn't even smoke. Yes, the IDI may feel like a snail compared to your Cummins, but it's cheap and powerful!
If it has the factory turbo, the downpipe is very restrictive. You'll notice it is squashed so that it will fit down in between the engine and firewall. The best upgrade is to find the upgraded ATS downpipe flange with a 3" downpipe, use a sawzall and pipe to bend the lip of the firewall back and stuff that 3" pipe in there. A 2" body lift would certainly help! There are some guys who have modified the factory turbo with different compressor wheels too.

Towing 12k pounds? The IDI will handle the task! Slower than any other newer diesel truck, but it WILL do it! Stopping is more important than getting going. Consider a hydroboost swap off an F-Superduty from 87-97. If it's an automatic, get a larger transmission cooler for that E4OD. If it's manual, RUN IT HARD! But of course, I'm biased and only run manuals because I just hate/don't believe in automatics.

If you are anywhere in the northern CT area, I'd gladly meet up with you and gladly beat the snot out of my IDI to show you they can't be beaten. A lot of people think I'm nuts, but I glue that smoke-pedal to the floor at each light and the truck just goes. I don't even know what kind of damage a turbo would do, running N/A with some mods can break stuff as it is.

Want to talk about money? I paid $900 for my truck. It ran, but needed a fuel system because it was sluggish, it needed a windshield, the right front fender was (and still is) banged up, and it didn't have a bed. It's a long wheelbase rig that "was" a dually. I built a wooden bed for it and swapped over to Single rear wheels. I love it.
I estimate I have about $2k total in the truck.
For a 21 year old with commercial insurance (self-emplyed) I pay $651 per year.
For commercial plates, it's around $200 a year in MA.
I run it everyday making money during the season (landscaper) and it has paid for itself over and over and over again. I average 18 MPG's, and the lowest I've seen is 13 when the pedal was glued all day running 75-80 with no overdrive on the highway...and of course gluing the pedal all around town. What can I say? I love it! :D
The truck doesn't take much of any maintenance, I keep track of the antifreeze, oil level, air filters, all that basic crap...and it never needs anything.

I've bought a parts truck 85 F350 for $100 because it didn't run. Yep, the return lines were leaking so it wouldn't hold prime overnight. bought a return line kit and the truck fired right up! That engine is going into my '65. I used the radiator and many other parts already on my 85 and kept a bunch as replacements for the future.

If I were you, I'd snag that 94 IDI and MAKE SOME MONEY, and RUN IT HARD. Don't be shy, it won't break.

I could go on forever...there's no way I'll ever drive anything but an IDI in a truck. Well...the only other thing would be a TURBO'D IDI :thumbsup:

My Dad has an 03 F350 with a 7.3 PSD he bought brand new and has taken very good care of. 170k miles and we haven't done a thing to it except for transmission flushes and filter changes. So I can't say anything BAD about a Stroke except for the price of ownership. They have a lot of power, we went cross country with a slide-in camper in the truck bed of his Crew Cab long bed single rear wheel 7.3/auto while towing my grandparents 28' tandem axle camper trailer. It was slower than I thought it would be, but it went like a dream. We hit the hills and I never thought it was going to slow down, but it did. I can't say my IDI wouldn't have though, unless it had a turbo! ;Sweet

All in all, the IDI is more economical and easier on the wallet to fix and drive. If power is what you're after, turbo the IDI. A turbo IDI may not be as fast or powerful as a Cummins, but it WILL do everyhting you ask it to do. Besides, what good is a 400 HP truck that has so much power it twisted the driveshaft into a candy cane and is not useless sitting on the side of the road?

Want more reasons to go IDI? Ask away on anything specific!!

Edit: I just read that you said it has a Banks turbo setup. F'IN JUMP ON THAT! If not, where is it? I'll buy it and put it to work myself!

lol ill jump on it, now that i read about how damn reliable it is. ill eventually get a stroke when i finish high school, but moneys tight and the IDI seems like itll make me money without costin me any. its a nice truck with a 4 inch lift (suspension) will that give me enough to do the downpipe off the banks turbo? and the E4OD is brand spankin new. i think ill jump on this truck for now.. maybe save my money for a stroke after.... or.... a 5.0 mustang

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol ill jump on it, now that i read about how damn reliable it is. ill eventually get a stroke when i finish high school, but moneys tight and the IDI seems like itll make me money without costin me any. its a nice truck with a 4 inch lift (suspension) will that give me enough to do the downpipe off the banks turbo? and the E4OD is brand spankin new. i think ill jump on this truck for now.. maybe save my money for a stroke after.... or.... a 5.0 mustang

If it has the banks turbo, it won't have that crappy smashed downpipe the factory turbo uses...at least i don't think.

Where in CT are ya, you don't have to give a specific town...northwest CT, hartford area, new haven area?

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i might take you up on comin up there to romp on your truck. if i have my IDI well run em haha.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The worst part of the IDI vs. PSD debate is that the same 2 trucks with only the engine being different; a PSD truck costs almost $3000=$4000 more.

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I convinced my neighbor buddy to go with an IDI. He bought an 85 F250 4x4 6.9/c6 for $300. Glow plug broke and he had to pullt he heads off to retreive the glow plug tip. He decided not to put the engine back together since someone had already had a GP tip break off some time before. The piston has dented in a bit. He bought a used motor for $300 and installed it without even hearing it run. He did all that without even a complete socket set.
He now has the truck with him in College out in Boston. Reliable? Yep.

I actually bought my current truck from a guy in North Haven...who bought it from the original owner who lives in Durham.
I was down on I-95 this summer looking at another truck in Stamford. I ran right down 91 to 95 without OD doing about 75 the whole way with absolutely NO worries. And I "might" have opened it up a bit in the left lane and I "might" have buried the speedo. :thumbsup:
Yes, the speedo stops reading at 85 MPH in the 80-86 trucks, when the speedo needle passed 85, I was still accelerating.
I have 3.55 gears, no overdrive in my 4 speed manual, and 235/85R16 rear tires.

If you get an IDI before July 4th, you ought to head down to PA for the Rally!
Check the sticky for the 2011 IDI Weekend at the top of the forum page. I'm going and CAN'T WAIT!

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy sh*tballs batman. i just tried to find IDI parts..

What are you looking for?
If you're looking for parts for a 94 IDI, you need to search for a 93 IDI. It's the same parts, but when you search for 94 F250 diesel or F350 diesel parts, your IDI suddenly turns into a Powerstroke according to the guy behind the counter.
In 1994, the N/A IDI, Turbo IDI, and Powerstroke were all available.
All parts for a 93 IDI and 94 IDI are the same, so buy parts for a 93 to save on confusion.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i know about the 94 confusion, been there with a friends truck lol. im gonna go down to carquest and see if they can get me injectors, just so im 100% sure on em. if i get the truck, what gp's should i get for it if it needs it, and the push button relay

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online